PDA

View Full Version : Intentional Fouling Out During a Tournament

sneakypapi
07-03-2003, 09:48 PM
I was playing a local tournament and was up against a player who would bend over backwards to foul me out. It all started with me missing a shot on the 1 ball. He played a good safety on me which I missed hitting. Of course, the next chance he had ball in hand and a full table of balls to hide me. Another safety was played, the only problem was that if I missed the 1 ball again I would leave ball in hand again with a 1 and 9 ball combo in the side. My second attempt at the table I intentionally knocked the nine away to protect the combo. Third ball in hand, he took like 2 mins to play another safety on me, walking around the table for his plan of attack. Granted this a local tournament with no real shot clock. Now, I was hidden again with 2 fouls against me. I went up for the shot and took my time to make sure I could hit the 1 ball. Result, I did make a brillant hit at the 1 ball, but scratched in the corner pocket and me losing this game. This is the first time this has happened to me in this tournament and I pride myself in getting out of tough situations. I almost feel embrassed about getting fouled out. As a side note he was a very good player no doubt. Any opinions would be appreciated?

cheesemouse
07-03-2003, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I almost feel embrassed about getting fouled out. <hr /></blockquote>

sneakypapi,

I wouldn't feel embarrassed by this at all. It is very easy to get caught in this trap. Sometimes the lay of the balls make getting the three fouls very easy and should be taken advantage of by any player that recognizes the situation. You just got moved on by a good player and you will return the favor to someone later.......

07-03-2003, 10:10 PM
I consider it a legitimate tactic. It might not win you any popularity contests in a bar room game, but in a serious tournament it's certainly something the top players will put on you if you give them the chance. I've watched the pros do it to each other a few times. Of course, the better the player the more difficult it is to do because a better player is harder to hopelessly lock up.

stick8
07-03-2003, 10:37 PM
get over it your day will come, so now you are ready. OLD MAN STICK. I have won lot of games that way!!! that is pool!!!!

Steve Lipsky
07-04-2003, 12:42 AM
If you judge that your percentages of winning the game by fouling out your opponent are higher than those of running out, you are hopelessly handcuffing yourself by choosing to run out.

By doing so, you are effectively making an agreement with yourself that you do not like to win pool matches - which I am sure is not the case. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Once you accept this, it should not embarrass you at all to be the victim of a three-foul. It is just part of the game. Look at it this way: would you be embarrassed missing three very difficult shots in a row? That is basically what being three-fouled is.

- Steve

highsea
07-04-2003, 03:01 AM
I got no problem 3 fouling my opponent in a tournament. I'm there to win some money. If he gives me the chance to foul him out, I'll take it.

That's not unsportsmanlike play in a tournament. It's just strategy.

You were in a tough spot. You felt the smart thing to do was to take away the 1-9 opportunity. You knew he was going to try to 3 foul you, but he would have made the easy combo if you had done anything else. You made a tough shot on the one and scratched. sh*t happens.

Don't feel bad about it, it was a bad spot to be in. You can't win every match you play, and next time you play that guy, you will just bear down that much harder.

-CM

tateuts
07-04-2003, 11:54 AM
I've never lost a game to a three foul but I've won a lot by people trying to three foul me and missing the safe. I practice kick shots and two rail shots. If you practice kick shots a lot, you can become amazingly good at them - then it's hard for someone to three foul you. In fact, it's hard for someone to safe you.

There's a guy I play who's so good at kick shots, I will only safe him at last resort! You don't get too many ball in hands playing with someone who can kick.

Chris

RedHell
07-04-2003, 12:12 PM
I would have done exactly the same. Often on safety I weigh in my chances of getting the hit against the fact that if I don't move the object ball the OB-9 combo is a given. More than often I will chose to intentionaly foul to break the combo.

There might have been one more thing you could have done, I don't know what your table layout was but, if possible you could have tried to disturb the 1-9 combo and break the cluster that was used to snooker you. Not as easy as it's sounds but sometime you can drive the 9 into that cluster and make your opponents safety tougher to play...

Just a thought !!!

Vapros
07-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Don't look down your nose, and don't apologize, for safety play. It's totally legitimate and a great tactic in many situations. This guy knew what he was doing. He won the game and put a bug inside your skull. If you don't watch out, next time you play him and he sticks you up, you might just roll over and give him another win.

Don't let it bother you. Maybe you need to pay a little more attention to your own opportunities to play safe. If you aren't fairly sure you can run out, try to get ball in hand. It's like money from home.

Ralph S.
07-04-2003, 04:05 PM
Don't feel bad. It happens, and it is in the rules. Possibly he felt he couldn't have won without using this strategy. Who knows?

In my locale, many of the tourneys are going to the "NO 3 FOUL RULE" just to make sure that play doesn't get too far behind. Good safety battles can last for eons.

Fran Crimi
07-04-2003, 07:51 PM
You know sneakypapi...one of the things I admire most about Jeanette Lee is that she's one of the best I've ever seen at turning lemons into lemonade.

Here's what I think she would say to herself after having had that happen to her. "My opponent was not successful in getting me on three fouls. I made a good hit but got an unlucky break and the cue ball scratched. My opponent was very lucky to get away with that."

That's the truth. Your opponent got lucky. He actually didn't do a good job in snookering you. You made a good hit. You just got unlucky in the result. It's very, very difficult to totally control the cue ball on a kick, and on some kicks, it's impossible.

Stay positive. You made the hit. That's what counts.

Fran /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sneakypapi
07-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys for your thoughts about this. Hey, I am no way a professional player just an average player who can give better players a run for their money on a good day. It was brought up about taking away the 3 foul rule in some local tournaments because it can create a backup in play, which I have seen this first hand. When you consider there is no shot clock and safety battles you can take a nap at times. When I had the chance to watch players shoot during the tournament I noticed that the same player who fouled me out was doing the same tactic with another player, of course taking much time. I did notice the other player barely sneaking by because of a weak safety.