PDA

View Full Version : "Minimum Reqirements"

cheesemouse
03-31-2002, 04:09 PM
What do you think is the minimum upkeep required to keep the edge on your pool game if you were going to put your game in cold storage for half a year?
Presently if has been my practice to deep freeze the pool game somewhere around mid-April and not thaw it out till mid-Sept. This year I thought I would try to maintain or upkeep the game, kind of like treading water.
In the past it would necessitate an intense three week period of torrid practising to revive the game and I would like to avoid that grind this year. Any suggestions???

P.S. Today is the 'cheese's' 56th http://gifart.com/public/imagefolio/Animations/Holidays/tn_easter003.gif

Doctor_D
03-31-2002, 04:21 PM
Good afternoon chessemouse:

Happy Birthday !!!

Dr. D.

03-31-2002, 08:25 PM
The minimum practice/play time needed to maintain your game at it's current (I assume in-stroke) level obviously varies for individual players - so it's hard to say. I can tell you that the better one's fundamentals, the better one's mental game and the better one's quality of their limited practice/play time are all three big factors. Some players can play amazingly well after a long layoff, others feel like they lose their feel, their game and all their confidence after taking just a few days off.

Just off the top of my head and not knowing how many hours/week you play now, I'd say once every week or two for a few hours of quality, disciplined practice should keep you in some semblance of stroke for when you come back. Again, your mental outlook and attitude as to how much or how little you think you will lose due to the layoff is paramount. - Chris in NC

Gayle in MD
03-31-2002, 10:40 PM
A great big Happy Birthday to you Cheesemouse! Also would like to add, you're a riot! I love your animated posts, they are so funny, the one in the post about rating yourself, what a scream. Thanks for adding some laughs to my days, and many happy returns!
Gayle in Md

Rod
04-01-2002, 12:03 AM
I don't know cheese, why not play once a week for 2 or 3 hours, or expierment. Happy Birthday! Cheesemouse, and look out for this guy! I think he sees dinner!
http://www.high-tech.com/panther/images/title.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
04-01-2002, 12:27 AM
http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation10/Animals/Cats/cats_eyes.gif

cheesemouse
04-01-2002, 12:31 AM
Well Gayle,
Thank-you for the b-day sentiments and the kind words. Some wise person some where said "we must grow old but not necessarily up." I'm getting long in the whisker and there is this mysterious silver streak growing down my back; strange. Anyway, I like to remember that pool is fun also. Thanks again Gayle, you too Doc:)

P.S. It is getting dangerous out here. I see a big cat grinning down at me. I'll have to wake up my hound. http://images.animfactory.com/animations/animals/dogs/big_headed_tiny_dog_awake_md_wht.gif

Chris Cass
04-01-2002, 03:28 AM
Happy Birthday Cheese,
My guess would be find a practice partner for 1 day a week. The other is to shoot atleast 2 hrs a week. A 2 hr. session by yourself will give you atleast a sence of what your doing. Also, for those weeks your not able to then, watch some pool tapes. Another is golfing. Golf has all the requirements of a good stroke. Just as your walking to the next hole, stroke the club alittle.LOL

I've quit about 6 times or so and still came back. I quit the last time for 6 yrs and it took 1 yr to come back. I'm not saying I didn't want to scream but I did come back.

Regards and Happy Birthday,
C.C.

Q-guy
04-01-2002, 10:33 AM
This is not exactly an answer to your question but this will surpassingly help. Don't think I am crazy but you can play in your mind. I am not kidding, if you think about playing and use your imagination very vividly it helps a lot. The great part of mental practice is you always play perfect. It helps also for you to watch videos of pool. You maintain the feeling of what it is like playing. Pat Fleming told me he hardly ever practices anymore. I guess not much time. But when he goes to the table he can just pick up the cue and play. He attributes it to working with the videos. I have a video of my self running balls. I have quite a bit of video of myself, but on this one particular video I run 94 perfectly. Not all over the place and I look good doing it, nice rhythm and so on. I swear, any time I watch that video, I feel like I have just practiced and I can walk to the table in the next room begin to play. If I concentrate, I can feel myself making every shot, does this sound nuts? I also like the idea also that I am watching myself and not someone else's fundamentals or habits, I think this makes it more pure. This may even be a good idea for a tournament player to do in their hotel room at a tournament to feel mentally ready for their matches. I have a theory that someone learning to play could actually improve their game at a faster rate if they had video of them selves playing good, (even if they have to do some editing) and watched it along with doing actual practice. They would also need to update it to coincide with their development. I know I got a little off the subject but I think this stuff is interesting. Am I the only one that has thought about this?

stickman
04-01-2002, 10:50 AM
Please don't accuse me of being an alien, LOL, but I play my virtual pool at home when I can't get to the pool hall. I don't think it does anything for my stance, stroke, or anything else, but seems to help with my aiming. I don't have any video of myself. Normally for me to keep my game at it's current level, I require at least weekly sessions on the table. To improve takes at least three times a week. I am only a little above average right now.

Chris Cass
04-01-2002, 11:43 AM
Hi Q-Guy,
Your not crazy at all. Before sleeping I play pool in my mind also. When I'm at work, eating lunch on my breaks. Hell, all day sometimes.

#### Leonard, gave me his advice on the same thing. He's such a gifted and knowledgable man and miss his postings a lot. Your not crazy, you'd be crazy not to. It definitley helps to visualize playing. Just like when you are playing. Visualizing the shot before shooting is the same thing. So, you can apply this theory to your stroke, stance, and mental state in a match too.

Regards,
C.C.~~hears through the grapevine you make awesome jump cues.

Q-guy
04-01-2002, 12:31 PM
I don't think virtual would really help ones pool game at all. From what I see it is just a video game. It may even hurt your game depending on what kind of mental connections your mind makes when playing it and relating that to real pool. Remember your subconscious mind always accepts everything as truth. With the videos, I am referring to sitting in a dark room and opening your mind up to what is going on, on the screen. You hear the tip hit the cue ball and the ball go in the pocket. You see yourself move around the table with a smooth movement and the stroking of the cue. Your mind begins to accept it as a form of reality. You can to actually feel the cue in your hand and the impact of the shot. Just like in a movie theater you are lost in what you are seeing and for all purposes it is a reality. Combine this with your actual practice and I think you will see a faster improvement. Experiments were done along these lines. You can read about them in the book Psycho-cybernetics. They did experiments with basketball players and found the greatest improvements were when they combines mental and real practice. I have read where golfers say the same thing.

04-01-2002, 09:00 PM
Videotape analysis of your game is an incredible tool, that all BCA instructors use to the advantage of the student. That is not to say that we, as players, shouldn't take full advantage of it's uses...and quality video cameras have become quite inexpensive in the past few years. Your idea is quite sound, and nothing hits home about subtle mistakes one might be making than seeing yourself on t.v. Even playing 'perfectly', as you described in your own tape of yourself running nearly 100 balls, is a huge opportunity to get into the "mental" side of the game. Visualization is a key ingredient of all sports performance at the highest levels of play! Great post!

Scott Lee

cheesemouse
04-01-2002, 10:12 PM
Q-guy,
I don't think you where crazy at all. I've done some of the things you suggest for years and I thought I was the nut for doing it then I realized I do the same thing with golf. I must add that 10 or so years ago I had myself video taped during a match. It freaked me out. I always had this self-image of myself hitting balls and moving gracefully around the table with a pleasant expression on my face. The guy I saw on tape had this sideways follow through and he twisted his head sideways in the opposite direction from the direction the cue was headed. It was some kind of ugly, man. I couldn't get that freak out of my mind and I spent the next two years trying to stop my head from twisting sideways. I became so pre-occupied my game tanked but in the process I had gone back to zero and rebuilt a game that turned out to be better, more knowledge based and best of all more consistant and trustworthy.
To this day I am afraid to video tape myself hitting balls...one night I was cocktailing with one of the best players in my region of the country, his game is right out of the book, and I asked him what he thought of my game. He said he hated to draw me because just watching me hit balls screwed his mind up and took him out of his game; he couldn't figure out why I twisted my head sideways. It was worth a good laugh.
Anyway,Q-guy, I thought your post was what this board is all about.