PDA

View Full Version : Border Battle results

Thierry Layani
07-04-2003, 08:24 AM
Looks like the 2003 Border battle will be once again and all american victory. This year the US team has Earl Strickland, Corey Deuel, Johnny Archer and Nick Varner, the Canadian team, being Alex Pagulayan, Alain Martel, John Horsfall and Cliff Thorburn.
It's a race to 6 and already the US were leading 5-1 last night so today could be a very short day. Let's just say the Canadian players haven't been amazing up to now. The event will be televised by TSN.
Right after the event, will be held the Molson Cup 2003 with eight players competing for a prize of 10000$. In the best matchup Alex will face Johnny Archer, then Alain Martel will play against Martin Daigle, Ronni Wiseman against a young kid from Ontario (sorry don't remember his name!) and Luc Salvas will face Mario Morra.
I'll post the final results tomorrow night.

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

RedHell
07-04-2003, 11:22 AM
Hi Thierry,

I tought the challenge was going to be played this weekend ????

I was hoping to drive down to MTL to see it. Anyway...

Do you know how the players for the Molson CUP were selected ?

How come Danny didn't make it ? With his win at the Atlantic City 10-ball, I tought he would be part of it ?

highsea
07-04-2003, 11:59 AM
Thanks, Thierry

-CM

Irish
07-04-2003, 12:41 PM
5-1.... what a joke. The USA fields 4 of their best players and Canada goes and puts in a has been team =/ I said it on AZbilliards and I will say it here, no way should Cliff have been on the team, he is not even in the top 20 9-ball players in Canada let alone top 4. Alain Martel has not been playing nearly as good as he once did but since he is the house pro of the sponser..... Heck even Horsefall is a step or two behind his Sands titles and 3rd in the US Open level. Potier atm is playing quite abit stronger then Horsefall.

Take out Cliff for sure, add in Edwin Montal. Take out Martel and add in Potier.

Now the team would stand as Montal, Horsefall, Potier, and Pagulayan. That is a MUCH stronger team. Not sure if Danny is playing better then Horsefall atm but there might be someone out in the East that could replace him since he is not quite as strong as he once was. Here in the West we have some young players that will be deadly in a couple years or so but right now I would not throw them into this.

Poor team selection. The people picking the team did not care about winning. They wanted the recognition of the old snooker pro and the old house pro of the sponser. It is all good to make good TV with your choices but losing this event like this is not going to make good TV and if Canada keeps getting blown out of the water due to poor team selection then this event will die from lack of interest or competition.

RedHell
07-04-2003, 12:50 PM
Agreed about Martel, he doesn't belong there. Plus his big ego will probably break the team spirit !!!

As for Cliff I don't know how his game is nowadays but he did well in last year battle and they need to experience as the team captain. I also believe Potier belongs there....

What about Salva, how's machine gun's game lately !

There was Andre Pelletier in the east that finnished third in the Canadian Championship but he is in Cardiff so he might not have been available. Mind you Alex will be in Cardif as well and he made it...

I'm damn sure that Danny would have been a better player in a team format than Martel...

pooljunkie73
07-04-2003, 01:39 PM
RedHell,
The final eight for the Molson Cup are the last eight of a tournament that was played in Laval,Qu.
They stopped there,the final matches will be televised by TSN.

snipershot
07-04-2003, 03:18 PM
I agree the team selection should have been different, definitely put Edwin Montal on it, he is a fantastic player.
I was initially excited that Martel was selected, but I have been disapointed with his play so far. He is too inconsistent, one year he reaches the Semis in Cardiff the next he doesn't make it to the final 64(I think).

Canada didn't select the best team possible, but that's no excuse for losing, the players should be embarassed.

Irish
07-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Funny thing is Cliff is putting up the good fight. He won with Alex in doubles and beat Nick Varner in singles. Cliff can definately come to this thread and tell me to suck an egg or something like that =)

snipershot
07-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Yeah actually, it sounds like Cliff has played pretty good.

Any news yet about how we did today???

Thierry Layani
07-05-2003, 01:10 AM
Well, Canada lost 6-4 in a not too bad hard fight that indeed could have gone either way because of the format (race to 5). Alex played OK (definitely not his best), Cliff played what he's capable of, John didn't play that good and Alain played real bad. On the US side, Archer was playing very strong as well as Strickland, Varner wasn't that good and Deuel was a real mess playing some of the worst pool I've ever seen coming from a pro like him. THe US team was fine imo but Canada's team had no sense. Cliff surely didn't belong there, I personnaly prefer Horsfall to Potier (sorry I can't stand Potier's game and as I've heard the other players can't stand him!) and Alain has been completely off for 2 years now. If anybody wants to know what's happening with him Alain has just been experiencing some personal and health problems that led him out the pool world. Since then he's been trying to keep up with it but it's not really working because his mind is definitely elsewhere. Alain has been for nearly 20 year the best player in Quebec and surely one of the best in Canada on the international scene and seeing him like that is really difficult when you know what this big guy was capable of. Anyway many other names come to mind for the Canadian team, Jeff White from Toronto and definitely Danny Hewitt who has been the most dominant player in Quebec in the last year. But they did pick the player in order to attract people to watch the damn event. I'm not sure they made the right bet.
As for the Molson Cup it started tonight but I left before the end of the first match (I had to play pool I was fed up with watching it (especially the 5 minute break between each game!). It seems like Salvas was going to lose his match against Morra. BTW the players had to compete in a final event in order to play in the final 8 of the Molson cup, that's why some big names aren't there, like Jeff white or Danny Hewitt. It's a cruel format for the players who dominated the tour the whole year.
I'll keep you all posted tomorrow night.

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)