PDA

View Full Version : How to straighten your shaft

tateuts
07-05-2003, 10:14 AM
I collect cues so I get a lot of cues with slightly warped shafts. Here's how I straighten them out.

Screw the cue together and sight down it (from the butt side). Slowly turn the cue and see exactly where the shaft is warped. Turn the bowed side down toward the pool table. Holding the butt in one hand press the shaft down (going against the warp) on the pool table using your other hand,(your fingers should be on the shaft itself a few inches below the joint) until it bends a few inches. Keep the pressure up for only 5 - 10 seconds at a time. Sight down it and repeat as necessary.

Nine times out of ten that will straighten it out, and it will stay that way. Seems too good to be true but it works.

Chris

bolo
07-05-2003, 10:24 AM
It will stay straight long enough maybe to sell it. But you are distorting the wood fibers and taking the stiffness out of the shaft. Done enough times it will get like rubber. I used to see Sigal do that to his break cue after every couple of breaks. I would rather play with a little warp then spoil the play of the shaft. I used to go in a pool room where the owner would do that to cues for sale but they always went back crooked, he would then just say, "well it was straight when I sold it to you". Myself, I would not be doing that to shafts I liked, a little warp won't kill you

hadenball
07-06-2003, 11:34 AM
I have straightened quite a few shafts for people and haven't had a complaint yet so heres how I do it:

site down the shaft and find out where the warp is
Lay it on a flat surface warp facing up and take a wet rag to the warped area. Take a spring clamp and clamp it down and leave it for a day. You can keep checking it and when the wood is dry wet it again until the warp is out. If it is still warped then you can make a shim from cardboard , match book or cut a wedge that you can shove a little farther each time.This process of course depends on how warped it is and the density/grade of the wood.If it is warped alot then it may take up to a week and you should let the wood rest a day between sessions. I wouldn't waste my time if it is someone who is just going to go leave it in their car again. Yes it's repeat business but that isn't why I do this, my love for the work and the sport is worth more than the Buck! Haden

dmgwalsh
08-17-2003, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hadenball:</font><hr> I have straightened quite a few shafts for people and haven't had a complaint yet so heres how I do it:

site down the shaft and find out where the warp is
Lay it on a flat surface warp facing up and take a wet rag to the warped area. Take a spring clamp and clamp it down and leave it for a day. You can keep checking it and when the wood is dry wet it again until the warp is out. If it is still warped then you can make a shim from cardboard , match book or cut a wedge that you can shove a little farther each time.This process of course depends on how warped it is and the density/grade of the wood.If it is warped alot then it may take up to a week and you should let the wood rest a day between sessions. I wouldn't waste my time if it is someone who is just going to go leave it in their car again. Yes it's repeat business but that isn't why I do this, my love for the work and the sport is worth more than the Buck! Haden

<hr /></blockquote>

I just got a break cue off ebay with a slight warp. I read your post but am not sure I understand. just put a wet rag on the shaft warp side up on a flat surface? Dont't understand where or how the piece of cardboard as a shim fits in. Can you explain? Thanks.

Mike H
08-17-2003, 09:09 AM
A local repair guy tells me after this is done, the warp may come back....he said when he does it, he re-seals the shaft and gets excellent results.

Nightstalker
08-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Shaft straightening, I thought they had surgery for that kind of problem?!? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nhp
08-18-2003, 05:22 AM
Hey Chris, whats up?

Thanks for the WPC video, I really enjoyed it. When do you want it back by? I've watched it 4 times already. I wasnt able to run the Saturday tournament because I was in Las Vegas for my birthday. I think we are going to make that a double-elimination with added money from now on, and I think on Sundays there will be an open tournament with added money. Well maybe I'll see you on Wednesday? Cya later

-Nate

SpiderMan
08-18-2003, 03:57 PM
I hear they have medicine also. I just let my GF take care of mine /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan