PDA

View Full Version : How does this thing work?

bolo
07-05-2003, 08:15 PM
http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/svlproducts/billiards/billiards.aspx

I understand the principal, but I can't tell from the picture exactly how it works. How is it put on the cue?

Qtec
07-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Looks to me like you screw it in at the base of the cue.

Personally I cant see the advantage. All it does [? ]is absorb vibration .Same principal as the shock dampers for tennis rackets .
I can see the point in tennis, but for pool?

Qtec

bluewolf
07-06-2003, 09:13 AM
Looks like a gimmic to me.

BW---> thinks Fred should get this and write us a review

rackmup
07-06-2003, 10:04 AM
You send them $29.95 and they send you this chunk of threaded rubber.

You install it on your $1400 custom cue and head to the poolhall.

They make a little bit of money before filing bankruptcy and you are out $30 bucks, not to mention...

Your friends all secretly laugh at you, just like they did when you:

Started wearing the pool glove...on both hands.
When you purchased the belt-attached retractable chalk holder.
When you walked into the bar for your APA league night, carrying your new Sardo rack, complete with faux-leather carrying case.
The first time you played on new Simonis 860 and declared it was "smooth and worn out" so you requested a table with "good felt."
You bought a rolling, dealers presentation cue case for personal use and only had two cues in it.
You bought a black t-shirt and had your name silk-screened in white letters on the front of it.

It's a gimmick and will ultimately wind up in the glove compartment of your boat, serving duty as an emergency drain plug.

Regards,

Ken (skeptical as always.)

bolo
07-06-2003, 11:08 AM
I just could not tell from the picture how it was installed. I understand the principle, I used something like that years ago. I wanted to add some weight to a break cue so I put a big rubber crutch bumper on the end of the cue that weighed about an ounce. It not only added some weight to the cue, but changed the whole hit of the cue for the better. It felt like the most solid cue I had ever hit with. I only stopped using it when I went to breaking with a much lighter cue. I also once was experimenting with balance points on my playing cue.. I got a roll of solder and cut off a piece that I wrapped around the cue in the front of the wrap. Because it is easily bent I could experiment putting it in different places on the cue. Because I did not care that much about the finish on the cue I then wrapped it with a little tape. It worked and I then had Bill Stroud build me a cue with that exact balance point and dimensions. Before I got the new cue I played with the cue with the taped on balance weight for months even winning some tournaments, one beating Mizerak in a final. I would not be so quick to call something crazy till you checked it out yourself.

rackmup
07-06-2003, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> I would not be so quick to call something crazy till you checked it out yourself. <hr /></blockquote>

I would rather spend the $29.95 on pitchers of Miller Lite and see how that absorbs my cue vibration.

Regards,

Ken (not one for gimmicks or the addition of a chunk of rubber to my Schon LTD.)

bolo
07-06-2003, 11:30 AM
I ask a legitimate question and all I get from you is a moronic response. I then write a little story to illustrate how some things that may seem silly may actually work and again another moronic response. Sight on seen I would say you can't play. Most of the better players I know are opened minded intelligent people who are always trying to learn. I hope someone else may have gotten something out of my story because it was certainly wasted on you. I have no doubt a pitcher of beer would make you much happier then a little knowledge. Just be sure to drive carefully driving home. Enjoy. Just curious, was there suppose to be some point I was to get from you changing the title of the thread?

rackmup
07-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Yep...you have me all figured out. Can't play and drink too much.

One thing I do have though...the ability to recognize something said "tongue in cheek."

Now excuse me while I put another screw-on tip on my Brunswick house cue and play some bar table eight ball with my drunken buddies for...you guessed it, another pitcher of beer.

Suggestion: Unbutton that top button of your shirt. It's hampering oxygen flow.

Regards,

Ken (loves the attitude of the "new people")

rackmup
07-06-2003, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I ask a legitimate question and all I get from you is a moronic response.<hr /></blockquote>

I'm sorry. I apologize.

I would suggest you send them $29.95, conduct a "viability test" yourself, report back to those of us who "can't play" and let us know, if in your expert opinion, if it is a wise investment.

Or, you could merely contact a list of s/l-2's and 3's, who are the targeted market for these items and see what they think.

Regards,

Ken (just another one of my moronic responses.)

bolo
07-06-2003, 12:07 PM
"report back to those of us who "can't play" and let us know"

Don't try to cloak your response in such a way as to make it sound like I was talking about the rest of the board, with the use of the word "us". My comments were directed at you, you are the only one who make posts like that. don't try to hide behind others or involve them. I don't really care what you write, just don't direct it towards me.

bluewolf
07-06-2003, 12:15 PM
Ken,

Looks like SL -2-3. LOL Is that a new rating system? Is it based on gullibility, poor humor, or being able to run less than one ball in game of poul? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura---&gt;declared today as silly

rackmup
07-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Okay...I'M SORRY AGAIN.

Let ME know how it works as I am the only one on this board that doesn't know how to play.

(Jeezus, after only 89 posts, this guy is picky and demanding.)

Regards,

Ken (last time I played, I cross-threaded my K-Mary Vivian Villareal Aluminum cue together. Now where do you suppose I can get a new red anodized aluminum shaft?)

bolo
07-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Quite
"Yep...you have me all figured out. Can't play and drink too much.

One thing I do have though...the ability to recognize something said "tongue in cheek."

Now excuse me while I put another screw-on tip on my Brunswick house cue and play some bar table eight ball with my drunken buddies for...you guessed it, another pitcher of beer."

Although said sarcastically, my guess is, there is a lot of truth in your comments. I have been reading this board long enough to know your sad personal history. You get a complete pass from me, I won't pursue this any further.

rackmup
07-06-2003, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the "pass." I am humbled by your graciousness and tolerance of those like me.

Regards and in sincerest appreciation,

Ken (notices Bolo lives on the East Coast. Kato...do you think he might be available for a night of pool in Pompano?)

bluewolf
07-06-2003, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> I'm sorry. I apologize.

I would suggest you send them $29.95, conduct a "viability test" yourself, report back to those of us who "can't play" and let us know, <hr /></blockquote>

You mean there are other people on here who cant play besides me???? Wonders never cease. Hey someone even called me an sl2 lifer so I figured that made me the queen of the ccb sl2s for life,hahaha...

ooh would not want to lose that regally esteemed position...ROFL

Laura---&gt; goin swimming in a real pool, a wet one yippee

bolo
07-06-2003, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> Okay...I'M SORRY AGAIN.

Let ME know how it works as I am the only one on this board that doesn't know how to play.

(Jeezus, after only 89 posts, this guy is picky and demanding.)

Regards,

Ken (last time I played, I cross-threaded my K-Mary Vivian Villareal Aluminum cue together. Now where do you suppose I can get a new red anodized aluminum shaft?) <hr /></blockquote>

You know Ken, you often like to analogize this board as being like a pool room and you may be right. It probably does have a higher achy (sp?) and I have not been posting here as long as you. But like a real pool room the status within that higher archy is not always based on the length of time someone has been coming in. Like a pool room there is a whole host of levels where players fall. The top local players everybody respects, the money players that attract attention when they match up. The guy that knows the game, but likes to practice by himself and does not like to compete. The know it all who has something to say whether he has any idea or not what he is talking about. The arbitrator, who is in everybody's business thinking they are serving some purpose. The stake horse, and the new guy who no one knows what to make of yet and is on sort of a probation. And of course the guy that always seems to be there, he doesn't really play, you will see him in the corner playing the pinball machine and listening when the players are talking. He wants to be accepted. He is often entertaining and makes jokes as a way to be accepted but in the end, he is the guy they send for coffee . I am sorry Ken but I would put you in the corner at he pinball machine in this pool room. I will let you know when I need some coffee.

eg8r
07-06-2003, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or being able to run less than one ball in game of poul? <hr /></blockquote> Is this possible or would it not be considered a "run"?

eg8r

rackmup
07-06-2003, 02:09 PM
...do you like it black or would you prefer cream and sugar? Also, I'm not opposed at all to running out to StarBucks for your java if the room coffee doesn't meet your standards.

Just let me know when you need it and I'll "tilt" the pinball machine and get right on it.

Humble and in your service,

Ken (thinks bolo must be, as he describes it: "The know it all who has something to say whether he has any idea or not what he is talking about.")

eg8r
07-06-2003, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It probably does have a higher achy (sp?) <hr /></blockquote> I hate it when I get that ache up near the middle of my back where I can't reach. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

rackmup
07-06-2003, 02:15 PM
Please...don't point these things out to Bolo. He's obviously sensitive and is going through Fast Larry withdrawls.

My God Ed...where are your manners? Just because you have an education doesn't mean everyone has one.

Ready for that coffee yet, Mr. Bolo?

Regards,

Ken (I like my new posting buddy, Mr. Bolo.)

bolo
07-06-2003, 02:15 PM
Thanks for that response. I wanted to make a little joke at your expense and see your reaction. I am glad so see you did not want to punch me in the nose and took it as a joke. Apparently you can take it as well as dish it out and I will try to do the same. I don't know it all but I do know a lot, at least about some things.

eg8r
07-06-2003, 02:18 PM
Oh Ken loves to be picked on. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

rackmup
07-06-2003, 02:18 PM
Seriously, why would anyone get so upset and mad to the point of wanting to threaten physical violence over messages exchanged here.

To be honest, most of the people who beef here would probably get along famously if given the opportunity to meet in person.

Regards,

Ken (can dish it out, can take it in return and can make a mean pot of coffee.)

bolo
07-06-2003, 02:19 PM
I could not get my spell check to come up with anything, but it seemed to be the best word so I took my best guess. You know what I meant. I am really curious how is it spelled?

bolo
07-06-2003, 02:21 PM
You would like me if we met.

rackmup
07-06-2003, 02:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Oh Ken loves to be picked on... <hr /></blockquote>

Hey...at least someone is paying attention to me. Since the divorce, that's a commodity that has been tough to come by.

Besides...it's all just funnin'.

Regards,

Ken (doesn't want to be the center of attention, wishes he could pay attention and finds it gives me a "higher achy" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif when forced to stand at attention.)

eg8r
07-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Hierarchy. I was only fooling around.

eg8r

rackmup
07-06-2003, 02:24 PM
The word is spelled:

"hierarchy"

It means:

"An archy that is higher than a typical archy", e.g., "I need a shoe that has an higher archy as my archy is higher than most."

Hope this helps and cannot figure out for the life of me why you used it in the manner you did as the discussion had nothing to do with feet or archys.

Regards,

Ken

Vapros
07-06-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm seeing all this stuff, but I ain't believing it. It makes me feel young again - about twelve.

rackmup
07-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Touche'

Ken (appreciates a classic dig)

Fran Crimi
07-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Looks like it screws into the joint and the shaft screws into the device. That's probably why they have to custom make them to fit different brands.

I could be wrong about this, but judging by it's shape, it looks like it might recoil a little.

Fran

stevelomako
07-06-2003, 09:07 PM
You take the rubber bumper out of your butt plate and replace it with that. Ya never know, it might work if ya think about it.

Fran, maybe a potential sponser? Never hurts to ask.

Fran Crimi
07-06-2003, 09:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stevelomako:</font><hr> You take the rubber bumper out of your butt plate and replace it with that. Ya never know, it might work if ya think about it.

Fran, maybe a potential sponser? Never hurts to ask. <hr /></blockquote>

Oh, OK. I had it backwards. Thanks for the suggestion.

Fran