PDA

View Full Version : 9-Ball Spots?

L.S. Dennis
07-05-2003, 10:22 PM
Can someone plaase tell me what a "6 out" and a "wild 8" spot in 9-Ball are? I know what a "safe 8" is but I've never heard of a "wild 8" before.

Thanks

Rod
07-05-2003, 11:21 PM
You get the 6, 7, 8, 9 as winning balls. Some may play wild others may play call pocket. Some may have them call any money balls on the break, then go wild etc. The wild 8 is wild, make it anywhere anytime for a win. Safe 8 just means you can't loose if you make it out of turn.

Rod

Hopster
07-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Can someone plaase tell me what a "6 out" and a "wild 8" spot in 9-Ball are? I know what a "safe 8" is but I've never heard of a "wild 8" before.<--L.S.

I am pretty sure the if i gave you the 6 out means that if you make any ball 6 through 9 , you win. Say you run the first 5 then make the 6, game over, you win. If you get a combo say youre shooting at the 2 and hit the 2 and make say the 6,7,8,9 , you win. Like i said , im not positive but im pretty sure.
The wild 8 means you get the 8 as a money ball as well as the 9. You make the 8, you win. Now at the cue club they give this spot to first timers and the girls. they get call 7, wild 8. Meaning you got the 7,8,9 as money balls but you have to call the 7 but not the 8.
L.S. im sure if im wrong someone will correct me, count on it. lol

Qtec
07-06-2003, 12:10 AM
This is from another thread ,

quote,
As good as Allison is, she's been offered the 6-out by Efren and his backers. (from Cueless Joey)

That is true, but if you go a little farther in the article, Grady Mathews will put up a quarter million for Efren to play her in twenty five cities with no handicap and according to the article, the backer wouldn't go for it.

6 out sounds like a good bet to me, if the rules are as you said . Seems to me like to much of a start ?

Qtec

Hopster
07-06-2003, 02:06 AM
quote,
As good as Allison is, she's been offered the 6-out by Efren and his backers. (from Cueless Joey)

That is true, but if you go a little farther in the article, Grady Mathews will put up a quarter million for Efren to play her in twenty five cities with no handicap and according to the article, the backer wouldn't go for it.

6 out sounds like a good bet to me, if the rules are as you said . Seems to me like to much of a start ? <--Qtec

Sure it sounds like a good bet. But one thing i learned is that when something looks or sounds like a good bet or you think the other person is giving up too much, you better take a few deep breaths and think it over again.
Know what im saying ?
And as far as Allison getting the 6 out from Efren, i highly doubt he or anyone else on earth would give her that. She is just too damm good. Unless efren ran out every single time, he wouldnt stand a chance and thats something i would bet on. The only thing to worry about then is would Allison go in the tank ?? lolol
Ya got to think about everything before ya bet.

Nothing to do with pool but heres a nice little story for gamblers.
A young boy was leaving home one day to begin a life on the road as a pro poker player. The kids father sat him down and said " Son, youre going out in the world and i got nothing to give you but this bit of advice. One day a mans going to come up to you and show you a sealed deck of cards. That man is going to bet you that he can hold that sealed deck and make the jack of diamonds jump out of that deck and squirt cider in your ear. Now whatever you do, you do not bet that man. Cause if you do, you will surely wind up with an ear full of cider."
End of sermon.

L.S. Dennis
07-06-2003, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys,

This is more or less what I suspected. The six out question is pretty much straight forward, but the "wild 8 one is interesting. In that situstion all the other balls would have to be called 'except' the 8 which could be made in any pocket as I understand it. This too would make sense if this explanation is correct.

Regarding Efren and Allison, although there's no question he would beat her with SOME kind of spot,but the 6 out may be a tall order.

That being said let me just relate a true story which took place at a Filipino pool room near here in Daly City Ca a couple of years ago. In this room there was a local Filipino one pocket player who had his stakehorse there one night (a Filipino doctor) and Efren dropped in for the evening. Immediately they began talking about some kind of game at which point Efren offered some kind of an unbelievble spot, I want to say something like 11-4 or some thing like that. The local player told his stakehorse doctor that there was no way he could lose with that. The doctor said "go ahead and play him with that". Well I guess everyone can pretty much immagine what happened next. Seeing he couldn't beat Efen in a traditional way he started playing Efren safe only to find Efren could have taught something to Hodini about getting out of tight spots and in the process leaving him in jail at the same time.
Well the story ends here pretty much, the local hot shot one pocket player along with his stakehorse doctor bailed out after having lost several hundred to Efren.

End of true story

tateuts
07-06-2003, 09:48 AM
The "Wild 8" means that you can slop in the 8 without calling the pocket. The reason why it's important is, unless specified otherwise, the 8 counts on the break too - just like the nine. Typically, when the wild 8 spot is given, the 8 is racked just behing the one-ball, which makes it harder to pocket.

Usually you will not want to give a player the wild 8 if they have a strong break.

Chris

Hopster
07-06-2003, 11:55 AM
Efen in a traditional way he started playing Efren safe only to find Efren could have taught something to Hodini about getting out of tight spots and in the process leaving him in jail at the same time.
Well the story ends here pretty much, the local hot shot one pocket player along with his stakehorse doctor bailed out after having lost several hundred to Efren. <--L.S.

I definetly beleive that one. That falls under the little tale that i told above. One pocket is the most deceptive game i have ever seen. If you dont have half a brain you get robbed right in front of your eyes and still think you have a chance.