PDA

View Full Version : Great Resource, and a Table Question

TaxPhd
07-06-2003, 01:40 PM
I've been lurking for a while now, and I really appreciate all of the great info. (and entertainment!) available on this board.

I played quite a lot as a kid on an old, rickety table (AMF, I think) and a bit in the local bars when I got older (I was never any good, but always had a great time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I am at a point in my life where I want to get back into the game, and I have decided to buy a table. I have looked at Olhausen, Connely, Kasson, and Brunswick, and for a variety of reasons, will probably go with Brunswick. I can get a Brunswick Bradford, 8', covered with Simonis 860, for $2,850. Seems like a good mix of playability and style that will fit in with the wife's decor /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif . Any body have any experience with that table, or a comment on the price?

Thanks!

Scott

07-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Hi Scott, welcome to the CCB!

I've always been a Brunswick fan, and when I decided to buy a table last year I shopped around quite a bit. I settled on an 8' Avalon, which is a couple of steps up from the Bradford but pretty close to the same table -- it just has more fancy router work on the blinds, apron, & legs. It's a beautiful table, especially in the original mahogany finish. I also had mine covered in Simonis 860 plus got the $150 Centennial Kit promotion (which is an excellent deal), for around $3500 delivered and setup. If I remember correctly, the Bradford sold for about $1000 less than the Avalon. So I'd guess your price for the Bradford sounds about right, maybe a few hundred high but that may be due to local market differences (I bought mine in Chattanooga, TN). The Atlanta dealer, for example, couldn't come close to the price I paid, so if you have more than one Brunswick dealer within say a 100-mile radius, shop around! Also, beware to not buy a Brunwick table from an unauthorized dealer if you want Brunswick's lifetime warranty and support. You'd be surprised how many dealers can get their hands on Brunswick tables through unauthorized channels. If in doubt, all authorized dealers are listed on their website.

I'd really be on the lookout for the $150 Centennial Kit offer. It includes a set of Centennial balls, arguably the best pool balls you can buy, which normally go for $150-$200 a set by themselves. The kit also includes four 2-piece Brunswick Medallion linen-wrapped cues, a short cue, a bridge stick, two oak triangles, a box of chalk, table brush, and BCA rule book. It normally sells for over $600, which is a bit steep, but it's well worth the $150 I paid for it. The cues, while not custom quality by any stretch, are much better house cues than the usual 1-piece standard house cue that you get with most kits, and sell for almost $100 each. So you can see how the kit for $150 is a great deal.

TaxPhd
07-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the info., David.

Yes, it is an authorized Brunswick dealer. There are two in the area. One sells that table (the Bradford) for $3,200, the other dealer has it for $3,000. Upgrade from Mali to Simonis 860 is $150-250, depending on the dealer.

I really liked the Centennial kit, but it is around $450-500, rather than the screaming deal that you got. I will probably get a basic accesory package for the kids to play with, and I will buy a set of Aramith Super Pros just for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I spent 5 years in Atlanta before moving to Colorado 2 years ago. Some things I miss, but not the traffic. It was worse than when I lived in southern California! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rod
07-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Colorado Springs eh? That's where I started playing pool. My pool room is either a parking lot or they have built another building there by now.

Rod

07-10-2003, 11:15 PM
The price aint bad, but simonis upgrade costs 150 to 200.00? you can buy the stuff online for 190 bucks where I bought my table.
Heres a link, compare some prices, and youl have something else to bargain with at the store!
http://www.pooltablemover.com
d