PDA

View Full Version : Differences between BCA and APA rules?

preacherman
04-01-2002, 12:04 AM
I would like to know the differences in BCA and APA rules for 8-ball and 9-ball. Is there a site that easily shows where these two organizations vary?

Tom_In_Cincy
04-01-2002, 12:16 AM
I don't know of any one place that lists all the differences.
But here are the major ones that I know about
BCA.. call shot (ball and pocket only)
APA.. Slop except the 8 ball.. then you have to call the pocket and patch it.
BCA.. if you make the 8 on the break you spot it.
APA.. is you make the 8 on the break you win.
BCA.. if you scratch while attempting to make the 8 you don't loose. If you make the 8 and scratch.. you loose.
APA.. If you scratch atempting to make the 8 you loose.
BCA.. if you make a ball on the break, the table is open.. you can shoot any ball
APA.. If you make a solid ball on the break, you are stuck with the solids. If a stripe, you have to shoot the stirpes.

Doctor_D
04-01-2002, 06:53 AM
Good morning:

For more detailed information on APA rules for 8 Ball and 9 Ball, visit the APA Website at www.poolplayers.com (http://www.poolplayers.com)

BCA rules can also be found at the BCA WebSite. Sorry, I do not know their URL.

Dr. D.

Rich R.
04-01-2002, 07:01 AM
I know the APA is a handicaped league and you can read about their handicap system on their website. Is the BCA a handicaped league? Rich R.

04-01-2002, 07:23 AM
BCA's website is at bca-pool.com.

preacherman
04-01-2002, 08:50 AM
This is helpful, most I had already known. So thank you very much. I guess I was hoping there was a site that someone had made comparing the differences. Jim

Alfie
04-01-2002, 12:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> I know the APA is a handicaped league and you can read about their handicap system on their website. Is the BCA a handicaped league? Rich R. <hr></blockquote>

There is no BCA league per se. The BCA will sanction any league, handicapped or scratch, employing any format or rule set. The BCA will even sanction a local division of the APA, it makes no difference to them.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bca-pool.com/play/leagues/faq.shtml>http://www.bca-pool.com/play/leagues/faq.shtml</a>

It is common, though, that when someone speaks of the BCA league they have in mind a handicap system the BCA put in its league advisory publication as an example that may be employed. Many LOs do use it.

The BCA's yearly national tournament is not handicapped.

04-01-2002, 08:18 PM
Although it is possible that the BCA might sanction an APA division, those players would have to 'join' the BCA as player-members, and pay the $25/yr. BCA dues (on top of the $20/yr they are already paying to play in the APA). That seems pretty unlikely for a lot of players, who bitch about paying fees at all! The BCA handicap system may be implemented at the local level, and I believe it ranks players on a numerical scale up to a top ranking of 15. However, at the national tournament, there is NO handicapping of any kind. The APA handicap system is the same from the local level, through the regional and national tournament levels.

Scott Lee

04-01-2002, 08:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: scott lee:</font><hr> those players would have to 'join' the BCA as player-members, and pay the $25/yr. BCA dues (on top of the $20/yr they are already paying to play in the APA). The BCA handicap system may be implemented at the local level, and I believe it ranks players on a numerical scale up to a top ranking of 15.Scott Lee <hr></blockquote>

i don't know if it's just different here but:

my bca league charges $10 per year to get the card and there is no "player rating system" at all. one of the leagues has a system that handicaps the team based on total points scored and the other does not.

dan

04-01-2002, 09:48 PM
dan...That $10 is a local fee, I think. If you want to play in the national tournament, I am pretty sure you have to pay the $25 fee! But, I could be wrong! LOL

Scott Lee

04-02-2002, 09:30 AM
It's actually 20.00 bucks a year...10 goes to the BCA and 10 goes to your league prize fund..that's the way they do it here.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-02-2002, 11:02 AM
Here in Cincinnati, the BCA leagues only require a $10 membership fee, once a year.

04-02-2002, 12:55 PM
Also:
BCA..up to 3 cues in a match
APA..just 2, and you can't swich to a jump cue from your playing cue in a match, nor can you break down a cue you are using for jumps.
BCA.. In 9-ball, push-outs after the break allowed.
APA..Push-outs? Nope.

Alfie
04-02-2002, 04:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Although it is possible that the BCA might sanction an APA division, those players would have to 'join' the BCA as player-members, and pay the $25/yr. BCA dues (on top of the $20/yr they are already paying to play in the APA). That seems pretty unlikely for a lot of players, who bitch about paying fees at all!

Scott Lee <hr></blockquote>
I gave this admittedly unlikely example only to demonstrate how flexible and accommodating the BCA is with respect to league formats and to say to Rich R. that the local BCA league could be the local APA league. They are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Also your figures of $25/year and a top ranking of 15 jives more with a BCA 9-ball handicapping example and sanctioning fees for singles tournaments rather than team league play.

I will certainly agree with you that a double sanctioned division would be rare.

Alfie
04-02-2002, 04:44 PM
Here is an e-mail conversation I had today with Betty Harris, BCA League and Program Coordinator.

Alfie- Suppose I want to play in a BCA sanctioned league.
Must I pay a league sanctioning fee of $10/year?
Must I also pay a sanctioned player fee of $25/year?

Does every league player receive a BCA rule book?

Betty- The $25.00 sanctioned player membership is designed for players that do not play in a league and still want to compete in a singles tournament. They are not qualified to play in any team events (or scotch doubles). If they wish to join a league, they must also pay the league membership dues of $10.00.

Every sanctioned league member gets a player handbook. It is a small condensed version of the rule book. Sanctioned player members get a full size rule book as part of their benefit package.

If you are a league player...do not become a player member too. You would be better off to just buy a full size rule book. The rule book would cost you $7 plus shipping.

Alfie- So... if I as a league player (who has payed $10 league membership dues) wanted to play in any BCA national tournament (8-ball and 9-ball championships) must I pay anything else (namely an additional sanctioning fee) besides an entry fee?

Betty- No. But you must be an active player in a league to use your league membership to qualify. You cannot just pay your $10.00 to join and never play league. That's what the other type of membership is for. Your entry will be verified to assure that you have the required number of matches and games.

Alfie- Thank you, Betty. Is it OK for me to post your responses to the Billiard Digest discussion board?

Betty- Absolutely!

Scott Lee
04-03-2002, 12:54 AM
Alfie...Great job! Way to clear it up by going straight to the horse's mouth! Thanks from all of us who were wondering!

Scott Lee