PDA

View Full Version : Scott Lee and one-pocket

Ralph S.
07-07-2003, 01:21 PM
Well, I had another lesson with Scott on Sunday and Scott was his usual entertaing self. I, on the other hand was and still am sick as can be{big time headcold}. For not feeling well, the lessons went okay. I was the broken spoke in the wheel so to speak.

I then turned to Scott and said I always wanted to learn to play one pocket. Nobody really plays it in my area, it is all 8 and 9 ball. I was hooked from the get go. Needless to say I finally showed some signs of life when we started the 1p game. That was the most fun I have had playing pool in quite some time. Probably because it is new to me and very challenging.

I did great and actually made a game of it until I had a dumb-ass attack or two. After a 9ball tourney with a poor turn out and all the one pocket, we decided to go for dinner. I was actually starting to feel better at this time and dinner at Outback Steakhouse was great.

After we got done stuffing ourselves, we went to another room across the street and played another four hours or so.
For being a little guy, he sure is a big bully on the pool tables. I'll just take away his magic cues next time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only thing I regret about the lesson is that I wasnt feeling well, and although I tried as best I could under the circumstances, my game wasnt there. In a way, I feel I wasted Scott's time and for that I appologize to you Scott. I promise I will not be sick the next time. That is a guarantee. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I hope to see you again soon Scott, and thanks for being a good friend as well as a patient teacher.

Ralph S.> now in search of a one-pocket partner/opponent.

Karatemom
07-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Hi Ralph. I'm glad your lesson with Scott went so well, even if you were feeling under the weather. He is an amazing guy.

I love the game of one pocket, as well. It is one of those games that hooks you once you've come within it's reach. There is no escaping. I've been playing it every day now, well, almost, for about a week, and can't get enough of it.

I don't know what it is about that game that draws you to it, but it teaches patience, (of which I have none), soft, smooth strokes, and safety plays (which I am lousy at, but getting better) as well. I do believe playing one pocket so much lately has helped my 8 ball game.

You have at least 2 one pocket opponents right here whenever you're ready.

Heide

Tom_In_Cincy
07-07-2003, 07:00 PM
It's real easy to learn the rules.. but it'll take a lifetime to learn the moves..

One Pocket is a game that makes you use just about everything you know about the game of pool.

Banks (single and mutiple rail), caroms, kicks, combos, pocket speed, shape, table management, patience and long thin cut shots.

You can find out more about your overall weaknesses and strengths in one pocket than in any other game IMO. Great feedback for those practice sessions where you need to work on those pesky shots.

More One Pocket players at the US Open this year.. last year it was just me and VooDoo Daddy,,,, YEAH

Rod
07-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Heide,
If I see you in Vegas next year I'll play you some on a bar table. You might feel a little cramped. LOL

Rod

Voodoo Daddy
07-07-2003, 10:16 PM
It was just us two last year...he beat my like a run-a-way slave too. The balls of this TOM guy asking me for 9-6/10-6...unreal!!!

BAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA...loves TOM like the older, nuttier step brother I never wanted, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Scott Lee
07-07-2003, 11:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> In a way, I feel I wasted Scott's time and for that I appologize to you Scott. I promise I will not be sick the next time. That is a guarantee. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I hope to see you again soon Scott, and thanks for being a good friend as well as a patient teacher.

Ralph S.&gt; now in search of a one-pocket partner/opponent. <hr /></blockquote>

Ralph...No need to apologize! I had fun, and we got in some good instruction too...even if you weren't feeling tiptop! See you next time in Ft. Wayne!

Scott

Karatemom
07-07-2003, 11:21 PM
Sounds good to me, but on a bar table? Guess I wouldn't need the rake half as much that way, LOL.

Heide

Rod
07-07-2003, 11:40 PM
Oh, it doesn't have to be on a bar table. It's just that there is so many of them in a short distance. LOL Not often have I played one hole on a bar table, but I have when the timing was right. Ok I'll spot you say 10-7 on a 9 footer. I usually don't give up that much weight but for a friend, I will. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Tell VooDoo you want 11-4!

Rod