PDA

View Full Version : VHS to Digital

Qtec
07-08-2003, 03:18 AM
Anybody know if software exists to convert Hi-8 to digital so I can put it on my comp. Got lots of tape, cant do anything with it.

Maybe eg8r or Highsea ?

Look, here he comes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Q

http://members.lycos.nl/agli2/hpbimg/Boots_018.gif

heater451
07-08-2003, 05:53 AM
Sorry, but this reply is rushed, so it's pretty general. . . .

If you can output from the camera, or have a VHS adapter (not sure if they have them for Hi-8, myself), you can use a video capture card or 'breakout box'.

A lot of the newer video cards offer an "all-in-one" solution, like the ATI "All-in-Wonder" series. Alternatively, Dazzle offers several 'breakout box' interfaces--this is a piece of hardware with inputs on it. Pinnacle makes a bunch of solutions as well. Search on around pricewatch.com, and then you can search for reviews for specific solutions through Google--there might even be a Google Group.

That's all hardware, of course, but they usually package some type of 'movie-maker' editing s/w with the setup(s).

Otherwise, there is a ton of software out there. I am used to Premiere, but it's probably overkill--and a bit old, in regards to compression options. I haven't kept up on all the new stuff, or else I'd have better info, but it's definitely out there.

=============================

eg8r
07-08-2003, 06:54 AM
heater pretty much covered it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

SpiderMan
07-08-2003, 08:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Anybody know if software exists to convert Hi-8 to digital so I can put it on my comp. Got lots of tape, cant do anything with it.
<hr /></blockquote>

Most digital video cameras (DVCs) have video inputs. You can just borrow a newer camera and run your 8mm output into the DVC's video input. It will do the A-to-D conversion for you, and store the results on digital tape. You can also use the DVC's firewire port to transfer the digitized video to your computer's hard drive for image processing by your favorite editing software. This will require a 6-to-4 firewire cable, which costs about $6 here in Dallas.

The digital video is in uncompressed (lossless) format, which occupies about 200 MB of storage per minute of video. You compress to MPEG format (such as DVDs use) after the transfer and any editing.

SpiderMan

Qtec
07-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys. I have found the 'Magix Video cd-dvd. 40 euro. I have a Hi-8 video cam and I want to put everything on cd . I have nVIDIA MX 400 graphics card and it has a video-in socket . [ 6 holes but 4 pins ]. As far as I can see , I just need the software and a different cable .
I think for the 40 bucks I will give it a go .

If you dont hear from me , my PC has crashed . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
07-08-2003, 11:17 AM
Let me know if you need some software, Q.

http://members.lycos.nl/agli2/hpbimg/Boots_018.gif