PDA

View Full Version : best time to pratice

pooldaddy9
07-08-2003, 06:30 AM
When is the best time to practice?
Would you get up a couple of hours before work or wait until you get home after working all day?
I usually don't have the time until the weekend but is that enough?

hustlefinger
07-08-2003, 06:57 AM
I think one of the best times to practice for learning and being productive is first thing after a tourney. If you get knocked out early stay a little while and practice, rehash the painful mistakes that caused an early exit. If youíre asking what time of day to practice thatís most productive, Iíd say a lot of us are more attentive to early morning learning. But that isnít consistent with the times we normally associate with pool playing. And if you can only practice on the weekends then youíll have to make that work but an hour after work here and there should pay off.

Rick

Kato
07-08-2003, 07:05 AM
I've recently started practicing against the ghost right after work for 90 minutes a few times per week. The pool room is quiet and it's easier to concentrate.

Kato

CrispyFish
07-08-2003, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> When is the best time to practice?
Would you get up a couple of hours before work or wait until you get home after working all day?
I usually don't have the time until the weekend but is that enough? <hr /></blockquote>
I've started practicing for about 1/2 hour during my lunch break, and eating my lunch at my desk. Like you, I don't have a ton of time, but by squeezing it in this way, I can practice a bit every day!

Fran Crimi
07-08-2003, 07:51 AM
When I used to work full time, I would come home, have a light dinner, if I was really tired, take a 20 minute power nap, then take a shower and head out to the pool room at about 8PM. The shower was important because it gave me a second wind which enabled me to play a good 3 hours every evening before I started to fade. Weekends were always pool marathon days. I did it that way for 15 years.

I see that you have your own table which should make things easier. If you could get in just one solid hour of intense practice per night during the week, and maybe a trip or two to the local pool room to play some matches, and a few hours on the weekend, I bet you'd see your game jump up a couple of notches. I think the key is to keep to a schedule as much as you can. Don't let too much time go between practices, unless you're intentionally taking a break.

Fran

griffith_d
07-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Last night I got up at 11:00 p.m. and practiced until midnight, because I could not sleep. I learned a couple of items that will win a few games. One of those lightbulbs went on! Just a few games here and there will push up person's level.

Just to show you that maybe the best time might be anytime you feel like getting something straight in your head and the only time is now.

Griff

bluewolf
07-08-2003, 09:55 PM
I think that i would see more improvement if I did this first thing in the morning while I was fresh. The way is is, i am splitting it between an afternoon and evening session. I think this is something i need to change to get better results. I have been thinking about this recently, so am glad that you brought this up.

Laura

L.S. Dennis
07-08-2003, 11:46 PM
No question,best time is between 6:00 and 7:00 in the morning when you're fresh!

Rod
07-09-2003, 12:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> When is the best time to practice?
I usually don't have the time until the weekend but is that enough? <hr /></blockquote>

When is the best time for you to practice? I don't think anyone can answer for you.

Personally I like afternoons or evenings, I'm more focused and loose.

Is that enough? Well let me answer it with a question. Enough for what? If you want a marked improvement, weekends are not enough. If your learning something new, you keep going through the same learning process over and over. Until one day, it is ingrained. When you make a change or work in a specific area it needs more repetition. I believe someone mentioned this but even an hour a day will speed up the process. Once that is done then you need a little maintenence. I'd say two or three times a week plus weekends should give you the table time you need.

What ever you do, don't get burned out, that won't help your game either. If you find you can put in a short time almost every day and play some on the weekends that's always best IMO. It just depends on how much effort your willing to give to be better. While at the same time retain balance in your life.

Rod

dmgwalsh
07-09-2003, 04:07 AM
I always do it in the evenings after dinner. I go down to the basement and can put some music on or a baseball game in the background and go for an hour or two.
On the weekends, I take a couple of chunks out of the day, an hour or two each time, usually afternoon and evenings.