PDA

View Full Version : Break Speeds

Cuemage
07-09-2003, 06:04 PM
One thing Scott Lee does in his training lessons is to put the radar gun on your break. I averaged 15-19 MPH. One thing I really learned is that when you amp up...you make a lot less solid contact with the rack.

So what is your break speed average?

tha Cuemage

Kato
07-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Same as you Cue. I'll tell you though, hitting a sweet spot 19 mph break it still hits like a bomb.

Kato

Ralph S.
07-10-2003, 01:08 AM
I dont see the point of why people want to know what their break speed is, unless it is simply curiosity. It doesn't matter wether you hit em at 15 or 25 or 100MPH for that matter. If it works , it works. As long as my break is good I could care less how fast that damn cueball is flying.

Voodoo Daddy
07-10-2003, 07:13 AM
I dunno how fast I break...I'd guess somewhere around 20+ mph but the pounds per square inch of power that CANT or hasnt been measured is what I'm interested in. I love to watch pros break with both speed or power. The most productive speed breaks on the pro level I seen where Lil David Howard and Charlie Williams...power goes to Wade Crane and Rodney Morris. Is one better than the other? I'm sure they all say so. I'll stick to one pocket...soft break keeps my arm in the socket!!!

Pizza Bob
07-10-2003, 08:23 AM
SNIP<<the pounds per square inch of power that CANT or hasnt been measured is what I'm interested in>>SNIP

Voodoo:

Not being a physics geek, I'm not certain, but I would assume that could be calculated knowing the velocity and mass of the cue ball. But, like you, I really don't care, as long as I can open the rack and park the CB in the middle of the table I'm happy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

ceebee
07-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Excerpts from
*Play Your Best Nine Ball**by Phil Capelle*
First Edition by Billiards Press Chapter 2 *The Break*
Pg. 39
Breaking a rack of Nine-Ball is sort of like a golfer*s Putting or a basketball player*s Jump Shot; sometimes you*ve got it & sometimes you don*t.
The Pros work on their Break as much as any other single shot and yet, as examples demonstrate , their results in this crucial area of performance are highly inconsistent. This is due to changing conditions & minor fluctuations in their techniques. In the final analysis, you*ve got to perfect your Break so you can wring as much from the table as you can*.
Pg. 40
LAW: the greater the ability of the players, the more of a role the break plays in determining the outcome of the match and vice versa.
Pg. 41
Karin Kaltofen, then the editor of the magazine (Pool & Billiard Magazine), & engineer Steve Kasten measured the speed of the break shots of over 300 hundred amateurs & professionals using his *Laser Speed Meter*. The 23 male pros averaged 24.9 MPH while the 15 women pros averaged 19.3 MPH. The most fundamental conclusion of the study was that high-speed hits, with accuracy, does produce more balls on the break. Imagine that! The test also revealed that going all out, for speed, creates a big variable in your results. A controlled, yet powerful break speed gives you consistency** Once you have come close to mastering the fundamental techniques of the power break, you will probably be within 1-2 MPH of the maximum you could ever hope to achieve. From that point forward, incremental improvement will come only from focusing extensively on a training regimen designed to enable you to reach your absolute maximum, period.

eg8r
07-10-2003, 09:52 AM
I would like to know out of curiosity. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am guessing my break speed is close to 15 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

eg8r

07-10-2003, 11:38 AM
15-17 mph as clocked by Scott. And my breaks are generally productive, with good cueball control, so Scott suggested that I not try to change anything about my break. In our marathon day-long instruction session, we spent about 10 minutes on my break and moved on, since Scott was entirely satisifed with my technique and results.

Technique and control is the key, not power. It is so much more difficult to hit the ball over 20 mph and still maintain accurate tip-to-cueball and cueball-to-headball contact, which is more critical than speed.

TomBrooklyn
07-10-2003, 12:50 PM
The speed of the breakshot doesn't seem very fast compared to how fast a ball goes in some other sports. A cueball weighs about six ounces. A baseball (http://www.worthsports.com/technology/balldesign.html) weighs about five ounces. I wonder what kind of break a major league pitcher could get if he threw the cueball at the rack at about 90 mph?

DoomCue
07-10-2003, 01:03 PM
I don't know, but I bet it would be pretty hard to get the CB to stop in the middle of the table that way!

-djb

Patrick
07-11-2003, 10:32 AM
I played in a break speed competition once, you had to match the speed that was written on a card. I got the card that said 5 mph, I broke as weak as I could and got 15 mph. Maybe they measured it in kph.

Patrick

Patrick
07-11-2003, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> I dont see the point of why people want to know what their break speed is, unless it is simply curiosity. It doesn't matter wether you hit em at 15 or 25 or 100MPH for that matter. If it works , it works. As long as my break is good I could care less how fast that damn cueball is flying. <hr /></blockquote>You don't need a radar gun to see how fast the cueball is going. But it is more accurate with decimals.

Patrick

Fred Agnir
07-11-2003, 11:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Patrick:</font><hr> You don't need a radar gun to see how fast the cueball is going. But it is more accurate with decimals.

Patrick <hr /></blockquote>Accurate or Precise?

Patrick
07-12-2003, 08:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Patrick:</font><hr> You don't need a radar gun to see how fast the cueball is going. But it is more accurate with decimals.

Patrick <hr /></blockquote>Accurate or Precise? <hr /></blockquote>Can't you use both?

Patrick