PDA

View Full Version : Bad hair day?

MarkUrsel
07-10-2003, 07:06 AM
People sure are being negative here lately. It's gotten steadily worse, and it's driving people away that we would really like to see post here.

I've spoken with a couple of pros who simply won't post because of the way they've been ripped in the past, or have seen their friends get ripped and flamed.

It's about treating people with respect.

I figure anyone who has learned the game of pool to such a degree that they can make a living from it is definitely someone who has earned that respect.

I would like to be able to talk to them and ask them questions. It is why we come here, isn't it?

Tom_In_Cincy
07-10-2003, 09:45 AM
MarkUrsel

This is a discussion forum about pool and all of the pool related subjects.

It takes good communication skills and a lot of patience to particpate in a lot of these discussions.

I am still learning both, and I will never be a PRO.

IMO there could be many reasons Pros don't post here or in any forum for that matter:

The pros:
1. don't know about it
2. don't have a clue about computers (and don't whant any)
3. why should they, when they could have cash paying students in person.
4. don't have the typing or spelling skills.
5. can't communicate except on the table
6. get upset when someone questions them indepth about a subject, and the pro can't articulate much futher than "It just does, that's way"
7. why should they when they have groupies that will get on these forums and provide perfect insight from them.
8. did I mention NO computer?

I'm sure there are many more reasons that could be added to this list, but you'll have to personally ask the PROS.

Remember
Charlie Williams Posts here
Keith McCready
Grady Matthews
Fran Crimi
Steve Lipsky

and Wally in Cincy

bolo
07-10-2003, 10:05 AM
6. get upset when someone questions them in-depth about a subject, and the pro can't articulate much future than "It just does, that's way"

That is more the reason. Being a pro does not make what they say always right and if challenged they may not like to say, "Yea your are right, I never thought about it that way". They would also lose some of their stature posting to something like a forum like this. They don't want to be just one of the guys. Some that may have posted and people think they were driven off, may have left more due to the fact everyone did not kiss up to them, they expected them to be regular, not play the role of holding court to their subjects. I don't think a pro posting here really works, this is a pretty honest board and could put them on the spot at times, they may not like it.

TomBrooklyn
07-10-2003, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarkUrsel:</font><hr> - People sure are being negative here lately.
- I've spoken with a couple of pros who simply won't post because of the way they've been ripped
- anyone who ...can make a living from pool is definitely someone who has earned respect. <hr /></blockquote>Good point about respect Mark. It's not something that's been happening just lately though. It's cyclical, but not something new.

The forum is consistantly sprinkled with posts that are disrespectful to other posters. However, Joe-Q-Poolplayer is more likely to be willing to deal with it than someone who is well known. One might think that even if common decency and respect were abandoned towards the average player; no one who posts here would fail to respect the pool pros just because of their knowledge and ability; even if they disagreed with them. I'm afraid it isn't always so, however.

Part of it occurs because the internet provides a degree of impersonality that sometimes causes some people to forget that it is a real person they are responding to. These same people would probably respond differently if we were all face to face in the same room.

Part of it is that everyone is simply doing the best they can with what they know. They way they treat others is based largely on how they've been treated themselves by their parents, teachers, religious leaders, polititians, bosses, friends, lovers, and others. That is unless they've made an effort to learn better ways of communicating with others. If they chose to do that, they might invest five bucks and a few hours reading Haim Ginott's bestseller Between Parent and Child (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0380008211//qid=1057957543/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-9810268-1055805?v=glance&amp;s=books&amp;vi=reviews), which it turns out, is about how adults could improve their communication with other adults, not just with children.

In the meantime, don't expect many pool pros to post here. I was shocked when I first saw the way most pool pros were treated here; but I've come to realize that even in this relatively select group of people, there is likely to always be a few that will treat them in a way that will tend to make them avoid posting.

=TomBk

SRpool
07-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Tom In Cincy,

That wasn't a very nice assumption of why the pros don't post here. The first are true, maybe they don't know and maybe they don't have computer knowledge. but the others are just rude, you are saying that all of the pros are arrogant or think they are too good for this, which some do think that but not all so you should not judge all. As for not being able to take things said about them...that is personal, people take things in different ways. I remember you saying some things about me that weren't so nice and were all together wrong, but hey...thats alright, someday we can talk and figure out the truth. But you have also said nice things as well, so it depends on which pro you are speaking of and how they are going to take it. I myself try to post here often but when I am travelling I have no way of doing so. therefore, i can only stop in every once in a while. But anyway, like I said, do not judge everyone on the experiences you have had with some, not everyone is like that. Plus, just because i have the word pro associated with me...defenitely does not mean i know anymore than you or anyone here.

sarah rousey

Fred Agnir
07-18-2003, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRpool:</font><hr> Tom In Cincy,

That wasn't a very nice assumption of why the pros don't post here. The first are true, maybe they don't know and maybe they don't have computer knowledge. but the others are just rude, you are saying that all of the pros are arrogant or think they are too good for this, which some do think that but not all so you should not judge all. <hr /></blockquote>Easy there Sarah. Maybe you didn't read where Tom wrote:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom No Longer in Cincy:</font><hr>I'm sure there are many more reasons that could be added to this list, but you'll have to personally ask the PROS. <hr /></blockquote>

Fred

NBC-BOB
07-18-2003, 01:33 PM
I think the only way to help minimize this type of behavior is to ignore the jerks and don't reply to there posting's.
If enough people did this they would go somewhere else.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Sara, (very nice to see you posting)
I apologize if I have ever said anything to you or about you that would be considered by you or anyone to be less than polite and respectful.

I will take you at your word that I did say something negative or offensive, but to the best of my recollection, I would never do this intentionally.

Please accept my apologies.

Fred's response was on the target.. I just listed some obvious reasons and mentioned that there could be a lot more. The response was suppose to be "tounge in cheek" but I guess I missed the mark.

Tom &lt;---- still in Cincy.. but not for long.. Sactown Tommy will be in CA... by Aug 1st..

SRpool
07-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Well Tom, I didn't mean anything being mean or trying to start an argument. I was mainly speaking of some other people who cannot take what people say. Everyone has an opinion...especially pool players..and this is a great place to voice them. I know you probably didn't intentionally say anything, it was when the first article came out in Billiards Digest...you made some comments about school and gambling and family...but its ok...i don't hold anything against you because you were only voicing your opinion.

Take Care
Sarah

Wally_in_Cincy
07-21-2003, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRpool:</font><hr>.... it was when the first article came out in Billiards Digest...you made some comments about school and gambling and family....... <hr /></blockquote>

I have to fess up. That was me (and also Chris in NC). Since I've read more about you I now realize you have your head screwed on straight and I was wrong. I sincerely apologize for jumping to conclusions.

Wally in Cincinnati

pooltchr
07-21-2003, 01:48 PM
I don't think most of the pro's are worried about stature. Let's face it, a professional pool player does not have the stature of a pro in most other sports. If they are looking for recognition, pool wouldn't be the game of choice. I think a good many of them are busy with schedules, practice, teaching, doing exhibitions, charity work, travel, and a whole lot of things that the average poster here doesn't have to deal with. (OK, a couple of them might be on an ego trip, but most of the pro's I have met are real down to earth people just trying to make a living and doing what they enjoy doing)
JMHO
Steve

Hopster
07-22-2003, 12:30 AM
Part of it occurs because the internet provides a degree of impersonality that sometimes causes some people to forget that it is a real person they are responding to. These same people would probably respond differently if we were all face to face in the same room. &lt;--Bklyn Tom

This is probably the truest most accurate thing said about internet message boards. People say things online they would never say otherwise cause no one is going to pop you in the mouth online.
Consequences make us all deal with things differently. No consequences, no fear.
Just an opinion.

Qtec
07-22-2003, 01:09 AM
Tap, Tap ,Tap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Qtec
07-22-2003, 01:47 AM
Tom , If anybody , pro or ball banger , starts talking nonsense, they will be shot down by the board.The accumulative knowledge of all the board is far more than the average pro. We do have something to say and its not all crap.

It seems to me , I may be wrong, that you are referring to the last person to be THROWN off the board. He didnt leave.
I think that if you want respect , you have to show it.

Just because someone can play pool , doesnt mean that they know everything.

In my experience , pro players are mentally tough , they can take the heat. They are not sensitive little schoolgirls like you seem to imply. They are not going to burst into tears at the slightest criticism.

IMO there is nothing wrong with this board or the people on it .
The beauty of the internet is that we can all have our 2ct .

Q

BillPorter
07-22-2003, 07:12 AM
Makes me think about Keith McCready. He was posting up a storm here for a while, but I haven't seen him around lately. (Maybe I haven't looked in the right places?)

Fred Agnir
07-22-2003, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> Makes me think about Keith McCready. He was posting up a storm here for a while, but I haven't seen him around lately. (Maybe I haven't looked in the right places?) <hr /></blockquote>You haven't been looking in the right places. He posted today.

Fred