PDA

View Full Version : I'm Going Away Too

07-11-2003, 09:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr Ingrate:</font><hr>I guess I'm getting old, but damn it, snob is a noun (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=89534&amp;page= 0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1), not a verb<hr /></blockquote>Dang it. This board has become almost unreadable anymore. (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=34333&amp; page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) People are using nouns as if they were verbs, improperly conjugating subject to predicate, mixing tenses, using double negatives, dangling participals and worse.

I tried to use good grammer and correct spelling in my posts, and some here are very nice and supportive; but I'm tired of other things anyway, so I'm going away (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=35040&amp; page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1), too.

When someone as highly respected as Fran gets on my case, I start thinking maybe others here think the same way. Several times Fran has criticized beginners for posting too many questions and opinions about pool. Then she criticizes me for not posting about it enough. I guess I won't be missed since I'm just a beginner and I didn't have much worthwhile to post about pool; so I only read the main forum and occassionally I posted about other topics in the Non-Pool Forum.

I can be assertive but I am typical of a lot of folks with right and left brains, ...I'm sensitive to inferences that I have nothing of value to offer.

I have my pool books and pool tapes and a local teacher I can go to. Maybe I will see some of you at the US Open.

I will miss many of you.

Cheers,

Slim Jim

Qtec
07-11-2003, 10:23 PM
It amazes me how sensitive some people are.

What is it that you want? Do we all have to be nice to each other all the time . whats wrong with a little lively debate?
If you want to talk about ferrules , I suggest AZ.

The thing [ IMO] that makes this forum dynamic is the diversity. Everybody is allowed to have their 2ct and I think thats the way it should stay. If I agreed with everything that was posted , I would be leaving. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

tateuts
07-11-2003, 10:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> It amazes me how sensitive some people are.

What is it that you want? Do we all have to be nice to each other all the time . whats wrong with a little lively debate?
<hr /></blockquote>

I think he wants us to pay him to stay.

And he doesn't take Euro's.

Chris

07-11-2003, 10:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> whats wrong with a little lively debate?<hr /></blockquote>Well, was Fran engaging in a little lively debate or was she being:

demeaning
degrading
insulting
placating
instigating
arrogant
snobbish
better than
a busybody
and/or
a fake guru?

Slim

tateuts
07-11-2003, 10:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SlimJim:</font><hr> When someone as highly respected as Fran gets on my case, I start thinking maybe others here think the same way. Several times Fran has criticized beginners for posting too many questions and opinions about pool. Then she criticizes me for not posting about it enough. I guess I won't be missed since I'm just a beginner and I didn't have much worthwhile to post about pool; so I only read the main forum and occassionally I posted about other topics in the Non-Pool Forum.

Slim Jim
<hr /></blockquote>

When did this happen? Were your feelings hurt? What can we do to keep ol' Slimjim around?

Chris

Hopster
07-11-2003, 11:16 PM
When did this happen? Were your feelings hurt? What can we do to keep ol' Slimjim around? &lt;--Tateuts

Lets give him some cheese to go with his whine.

Ralph S.
07-12-2003, 01:52 AM
SlimJim, the perspective of the way I see things is that all who post are entitled to their opinions. One of the things about many of the older posters here, is they debate reasonably well. This includes Fran.

Fran and I have had several good debates and have called each other out on the carpet so to speak. The point is that it was done with some class and style and a little bit of thought. By doing things that way you earn the respect of all the other posters. Due to mine and Fran's debates, I honestly believe we have a mutual respect for each other although having never met face to face.

I have seen this between many other posters as well. All you need to do is use a little tact. Also, please dont misconstrue this as criticism toward you. It is not meant to be that way.

Respectfully,
Ralph S.

HalSmith
07-12-2003, 04:31 AM
Slim, I'm trying my best to understand your first paragraph. However my limited education just gets me all stressed out, not being able to figure it out. Not I'm thinking maybe I was suppose to put a comma after however. See it is never ending for me. I only hope you have a good time where ever you are going .---Smitty

cheesemouse
07-12-2003, 04:47 AM
Hopster,

Hey Hey Hey!!! Don't be giving away the 'cheese' /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif...Don't forget the power of cheese... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
07-12-2003, 06:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> ... all who post are entitled to their opinions. One of the things about many of the older posters here, is they debate reasonably well. This includes Fran.
Ralph S. <hr /></blockquote>

Well Ralph that statement by you will most likely land you on Fran's list. Not a good place to be Ralph. Not nice to call a woman old. Not sure if that puts you above or below Sid or Slim on that list. LOL Jake

Vapros
07-12-2003, 09:37 AM
Lighten up a little, James. There are some good reasons to stay with this forum, and some pretty good ones to abandon it, too. I doubt that very many posters are happy with everything about it. I'm certainly not. On the other hand, you must do what suits you.

However, I think it's a bit out of line to take issue with grammar errors on such a public site. That's expecting a little too much, and some infractions will always be there if one hunts for them - on this site or others.

Spelling errors always catch my eye, now that we're talking about such matters, but there's no point in calling them to the attention of other posters. For example, I wouldn't think of blowing the whistle on you for the misspelled word in your own post. It's just not that important.

Sid_Vicious
07-12-2003, 11:13 AM
HEY! HEY! I worked hard to get to the top of the list. ;-) sid

Ralph S.
07-12-2003, 03:28 PM
jjnfl. I am not trying to be on Fran's "list". I am sure that if she reads what I posted she will understand the angle I am coming from. I am in no way calling her "old". What I meant by the term "older posters", are the ones wo have been on this board for a while. Not those who are recent registrants to CCB, although there are several newer ones that do post well IMO.

Candyman
07-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Slim has got you guys feeling sorry for him. He is putting us on. Pardon the dangling participle. This gentleman is in the import/export business. A business of this nature is very competitive and cut-throat. The people you have to deal with can be very abusive. If he can handle a job like that, this board should be a breeze. Don't leave me Slim. I'm no Longfellow myself.
Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
07-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Good bye. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yeah, it is not <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Slim Jim:</font><hr> dangling participals <hr /></blockquote> but rather, dangling participles.

eg8r &lt;~~Just trying to help since Slim brought it up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jjinfla
07-12-2003, 04:47 PM
Sounds like you are trying to do an olympic backstroke there Ralph. Fran will be back from Vegas tomorrow and when she reads all her IM's - well, I sure don't want to be in your shoes. LOL

Slim and Dave are both great kidders.

It's a way to maintain one's sanity, and without it you can't get through college. Or University.

Jake

Ralph S.
07-12-2003, 05:01 PM
No backstroke here jj. I am a terrible swimmer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I do however have a silver tounge. I am sure I can sweet talk Fran if I need to LOL. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

griffith_d
07-12-2003, 08:09 PM
I'm am sorry,...but who is SlimJim? Not those "beef jerkys" at the checkout counter. Tell me it isn't so.

Griff

Chris Cass
07-13-2003, 01:14 AM
Slim,

You've got to be kidding.

C.C.

jjinfla
07-13-2003, 07:01 AM
Hey Chris, How you doing? Been able to get to the pool room lately? I haven't been checking this board all that much lately so I haven't kept up with your progress. Hope all is well and you are doing fine. Jake

stick8
07-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Who is Fran?is she the top hen on the rost?you know what roosters do to hens!!!!!!!stick