PDA

View Full Version : Talisman Cases

04-01-2002, 12:08 PM
I have been looing at cases the last couple of weeks just
dreaming the nice ones are a little out of my price range
right now. But a new one on me at least is the Talisman these really look nice. They even have leather on the inside of the tubes. Does anyone have one of these yet and if so are they as nice as they look on the Talisman webpage?

Thanks
James D

LC3
04-01-2002, 12:19 PM
I just checked out Talisman's cue case site and was impressed with the added features of their cases. The leather lining on the inside of the tubes, however, concerns me. Other than that, they appear to be no nonsense cases. If you get one, please post a review of it.

Troy
04-01-2002, 01:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: LC3:</font><hr> I just checked out Talisman's cue case site and was impressed with the added features of their cases. The leather lining on the inside of the tubes, however, concerns me. Other than that, they appear to be no nonsense cases. If you get one, please post a review of it. <hr></blockquote>

Tony Jones should discuss this before anyone jumps to conclusions.

Troy

MaineEAck
04-01-2002, 03:05 PM
A close friend to me checked one out, he said they are really sweet! He is actually buying one this week, I will let you know, but he seems to be obsessed with it! Check them out, http://www.talismanbilliards.com/Cuecases.asp I think they are very very nice!

JimS
04-01-2002, 03:11 PM
A friend of mine has been selling them for about a year now with no complaints from any of his customers.

I've seen them and they appear to be of high quality.

Pizza Bob
04-01-2002, 04:22 PM
Just checked out the website. For the prices quoted, you're pretty darn close to a Whitten, which we've all pretty much agreed is one fine case. I see the Talisman is using those twist type closures. I've heard that on other cases that use this same type of hardware, these closures are prone to breakage, should your case fall over on them. Not bad, but I'd go the short extra distance and get a Whitten or a Justis. Not that much (if any) more. But that's just my opinion.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

TalismanTony
04-01-2002, 10:18 PM
Hi Guys,

Talisman Cue Cases.

Leather lined tubes. OK. We have done this because the tube liners seem to wear on many cases, this should not be a problem with our cases.

I have seen previous posts (over the years) about leather not being a good tube lining material because it will effect the finish of the butt. I checked this matter with quite a few of the cue makers who use Talisman Cue tips.

www.talismanbilliards.com/cuemakers.asp (http://www.talismanbilliards.com/cuemakers.asp)

The response was unanimous. No it should not. The concern here is not wear as such but the potential for chemicals used in the tanning process to gas off on the finish. I was told that for some time now cue makers have used "catalyzed" finishes that becomes inert after a short while and so will not be effected. I have used one of our cases to hold my Coker cue since the first LA Expo in 2000 and as Jim S pointed out, they have been selling (quietly) for nearly a year with no reported problems.

The tubes on Talisman cases are also quite a bit wider in diameter than other tube cases. We enlarged the tubes to allow for high density memory foam to be inserted inside for extra protection. Cues should be inserted tip down and Butt joint down (using joint protectors of course.) This way the cue (near the end of the butt) is gripped gently by the thick foam at the top of the tubes and is snug inside the tubes. Most cues will not actually touch the foam at the bottom of the tubes and so no jarring of the cues if the case is dropped on its end.

Many people will remember that Talisman briefly made cue cases when we started. We had some flooding problems, lost leather stock, which led to financial problems and the cases were stopped. I have concentrated on the cue tips and have tried to slowly build up the cue case business again (in a place that doesn't flood in the wet season!).

While we were not making the cases (trying to find money to get it going again) I received many suggestions from people by email on ways to improve the design. One of the main contributors was Waldo Slack (he used to post here a lot but I haven’t heard from him in a while) and he came up with the ideas of the pocket length zip down each side of the pockets, so you can get stuff that is right in the bottom corner of the pocket with more ease, the small chalk pocket at the top and the double shoulder strap idea, so you can even wear the case like a back pack and cycle to league nights. Also, I think the towel holder that clips on one of the top d-rings was his idea. Thanks Waldo.

The straps on Talisman cases are 1” thick and have sliding shoulders pads. We also made the handles top and side thicker with more padding for comfort.

We have got a special introductory offer for the cases that will not last for too long. When comparing prices please bear in mind that prices on my site are including all delivery charges. The case goes out FedEx and usually received in the US within 5-6 days. I am not fond of web sites with heavy shipping and handling charges that are not evident until the near the end of the purchase process, so I put all prices "shipping included" on our site.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

04-04-2002, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the kudo's Tony. I'm looking forward to seeing the new cases.
I'd like to order one or the 3x5's or 2x5's later this year if they're still available. I hope production will be up and back to normal soon.

The Talisman tips have been awesome. I'm using the X-hard &amp; they hit great. I've almost
used up the 1st one I put on my main shooting cue. FYI- Tip pik-ing the tip softens
it a bit &amp; causes it to wear faster. Not that it matters, the wear is minimal. I suppose
it's been a year of so with the X-hard &amp; I've got, just under, half the tip left. I never
shape it, just pick it before I shoot each evening. That's a lot of bang for the buck
if you ask me! Sorry Sid I know your against using a tip pik. Works for me though!

I'll check your site Tony &amp; drop an email. Been out of the loop for awhile, I'll have to start checking in more often. If a friend of mine hadn't told me about the post here I wouldn't have known. Thanks WO…

Ww

Harold Acosta
04-04-2002, 12:46 PM
I've check Tony's site and if you take into consideration that he is giving a Polo, 9 Talisman Tips, the towel plus shipping, the price of the 2x4 case comes to about $200. That is a pretty good price for a leather case. That price does not compare with any of the other cases out there. And with the new features of the case, double side zipper, and the towel clip, it would be a pretty good investment.

I have to say that you cannot go wrong with this case!

SpiderMan
04-04-2002, 01:23 PM
Jim,

What's the deal there? Tony says they've just now become available and you know someone who has been selling them for a year already? Talk about special treatment!

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JimS:</font><hr> A friend of mine has been selling them for about a year now with no complaints from any of his customers.

I've seen them and they appear to be of high quality. <hr></blockquote>