PDA

View Full Version : Any Famous Players On This Message Board?

nhp
07-12-2003, 07:07 AM
So far I know of Keith McCready (probably one of the most famous pool players of all time). Are there any other pros or famous money players in here? Just wondering /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HalSmith
07-12-2003, 07:11 AM
I won a couple of dollars over at the bar on Main St. the other night does that count for a money player.---Smitty

07-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Off the top of my head...

Charlie Williams posts here occassionally as 'koreandragon', although primarily advertisements for his pool school or for UPA events. Rarely answers anybody's questions like Keith has been doing.

Grady Matthews posts here once in awhile.

Sarah Rousey is an up-and-coming WPBA pro who used to post quite a bit as 'SRPool' but haven't heard much from her lately.

Fran Crimi, one of our resident gurus, is a touring WPBA pro and instructor.

Scott Lee is a former top player and currently a damn fine traveling instructor -- I recommend you book some time with him to get over your rustiness. He helped me get back on track after a 10-year hiatus.

Oh, and let's not forget FL, the most famous pool player of all time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif A legend in his own mind...

Keith McCready
07-12-2003, 11:04 AM
Most guys like me were never introduced to the computer scene until later on in life. A lot of folks were taught in school as youngsters, and so they are able move on the computer a lot easier than us old-timers who are either self-taught or fortunate enough to have somebody willing to show them the ropes. The tournament announcements and online gambling are what piqued my interest originally, and so I made an effort to learn more.

The message boards are informative and, at times, entertaining, and I think a lot of guys, if they took a little time to learn, would also enjoy the benefits.

Earthquake

bolo
07-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Jimmy Reid has been into it for sometime, he has built it into a business. You should yourself at least set up a website. Maybe a fan can do it. Let me ask you something, When you were in that movie, did you have to get an agent? Have you ever been approached to do any commercials or on your own tried to get any? I see so many obscure people doing them. I can think of a lot of ways pool could be incorporated in to advertising. Ever thought of pitching any ideas to the right people. I have always wondered why pool players don't. You will get a lot of turn downs but that is the way the business is, if you were persistent I think it would happen. It could do a lot for you and help pool. It could be the most off the wall idea but it may work. How about you Fire your break shot into a trash bag to show how strong it is, the ideas are endless. I know it would work if you tried hard enough to get the jobs. Do you have an agent?

tateuts
07-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Bolo does have a point - there hasn't been a household name money player since Fats. I think his "break shot through trash bags" needs a little more work, however.

A biography, if well done and properly marketed, would help you in that regard as well. Who's the author?

Chris

Keith McCready
07-12-2003, 01:01 PM
You know the movie business, either they like you or they don't, and if you happen to be one of the ones who they don't, you might have to do $500 auditions to maybe even have them recognize you. If it don't benefit them, you ain't worth nothing.

As far as the agent, I haven't had an agent. I guess the right agent, if he knew the right people, something could be considered, but I don't want to travel back and forth hoping something might happen. It takes a lot of money. Maybe a good agent could grab a hold of this and possibly I would try to make myself available. So, for all you agents out there, Earthquake is available.

Earthquake

bolo
07-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Please, please, please, do not take this personal, but that is why it won't happen. No one knocks on your door and gives you anything, you have to go after it. Doing commercials is much different then being in a movie. I know a few guys that have been very successful in the music business and they are bull dogs when it comes to business. The one thing I learned around those guys was how hard they work. They are on the phone all day making deals and stuff. They are like this bunch what seems like idiots, but they make millions through their incredible hard work. They never wait for opportunity to knock, they knock the door down. Getting back to you, you may be surprised what an agent may be able to do for you.

griffith_d
07-12-2003, 08:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> Maybe a fan can do it. <hr /></blockquote>

bolo has a good idea,...not that my website on my signature is worth a $hit, but it was written by hand(may look it) without any web page builders. The point is is that even an old man like me can learn HTML. It is not hard and there are lot of web page building software that my 13 year daughter could probably learn very quickly.

Keith, you ought to do something if you really care to. It is not that hard and actually kinda fun.

Griff

Chris Cass
07-13-2003, 01:21 AM
Hi Griffith,

I like your web site. The picture is stunning also impressive.

Regards,

C.C.

griffith_d
07-13-2003, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Griffith,

I like your web site. The picture is stunning also impressive.

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

The "Dean's Favorite Web sites" is mine(POS). The Black and White photoshop is my brother's site(really looks good). I will tell him you liked his photos. My brother could do a good site, as he has web site software that he used to make his.

Griff

beerwolf
07-13-2003, 08:13 AM
Our most famous poster is Bluewolf also known as "Loquacious Laura" and nearly 25 pseudonyms. She is by far the most prolific wolf of all and she is now so knowlegable about the game of pool to be able to comment on any and all topics as an expert. What would we do without her? We can all just dream that someday we too could be so worthy.
BW

Keith McCready
07-13-2003, 08:25 AM
Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I am picking up a little speed on the computer, and I can see that there are endless opportunities out there.

I'm still trying to figure out how to replace the word "Newbie" underneath my name in the forum. I am reading the Newbie posts, and hopefully, you computer pros are going to show me a couple of moves.

Earthquake

Kato
07-13-2003, 09:44 AM
Keith, "Newbie" is just the amount of posts you've made. 25 more and you'll be a little more comfortable with "journeyman" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Here is the list of the standard titles and # of posts to achieve them:

0 stranger
25 newbie
50 journeyman
100 member
200 enthusiast
400 addict
700 old hand
1200 veteran
1600 Pooh-Bah
2500 Carpal Tunnel

Kato~~~Pooh-Bah on the way to Carpal Tunnel or at least insanity. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
07-13-2003, 10:05 AM
Dont worry Keith, that is just a current title related to your number of posts. With all of your experience to this game, you are anything but new. The title under your name will change from time to time as your post totals accumulate. If you have any questions, just click on FAQ when you log in and it will answer many of your questions .

rackmup
07-13-2003, 10:11 AM
McCready a "newbie"...that's a hoot.

I'd like to have about $100K in my pocket and the belief on behalf of all the bangers in any given poolroom that McCready was a "newbie."

My first venture as a "Stakehorse" would be a profitable one.

We would be rich.

Keith a "newbie"...hahahahahahahahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

Ken (I'd write a book)

Keith McCready
07-13-2003, 10:35 AM
Thanks, Ken, for your kind words. I am a newbie on the computer, and you guys are the veterans.

I don't know how rich we'd be, but we can sure do some damage with 100 large.

Earthquake

rackmup
07-13-2003, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> I don't know how rich we'd be, but we can sure do some damage with 100 large.<hr /></blockquote>

Ask anyone here in Texas that I play with. I've made the comment more than once that if I won a sizable lotto (which I try to do each week), I'd:

<ul type="square">
Track down Keith McCready.
Purchase one of those mega-luxury motorhomes.
Buy K.M. a couple of whatever cues, cases, beer, and whatever else we would need that he wanted.
Print a list of opponents, pool halls, bars, cities and states that he wanted to visit.
And hit the road for however long it would take to either spend a million or make a million, bet high, bet often and ...
...Write a book about the whole experience.
[/list]

We would then return home, where ever that might be for the two of us and unpack our bags in the custom homes that I had built with some of my other millions while we were on the road.

The book may not ever be a New York Times Best-Seller but I guarantee you pool players would buy it, smile and laugh about it and wish they could have been a "fly on the wall" during it all.

Regards,

Ken (The motorhome would have the license plate "TK 6" which maybe Keith can once and for all tell us what that meant.)

Keith McCready
07-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Let me know when to pack. TK6? Refresh my memory a bit.

Earthquake

rackmup
07-13-2003, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KM:</font><hr> TK6? Refresh my memory a bit <hr /></blockquote>

On Fast Eddie's Cadillac, his personalized plates read "TK 6"

The question has been asked here many times what the significance of that plate was. No one has had the answer.

And yes, as soon as the winning lotto ticket is mine, you and I my friend, are on the road to everything that is "pool."

Regards,

Ken (as a KM fan, couldn't be happier to have him as a CCB'er)

Kato
07-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Keith, you don't know this but Rackmup fancies himself a bit of a "Keith McCready Jr." Same side arm stroke, same woof factor. Heck, he even looks a little like you in just the right light. The only problem is that he's got all of your bark and none of your bite. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato~~~will be pounding on McCready Jr. in a little over 48 hrs.

rackmup
07-13-2003, 01:39 PM
This is soooo wrong.

I'll just put this out there:

I haven't played much in the past few weeks. Practice time has been non-existent. My cues are approaching that point when re-tipping is a consideration. I have a cut on my breaking hand. My contacts are old and my eyes are in need of a stronger prescription.

But, with all that, I'm going to beat you like a hillbilly woman doing her laundry down at the creek.

Plain and simple. You're going down son. I will defend the side-arm stroke.

Regards,

Ken (this is getting serious)

Keith McCready
07-13-2003, 02:10 PM
There aren't too many out there with the side-arm stroke like Ken and me. He must be a fine-looking fellow if he's a "Keith McCready, Jr." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll bet he can woof with the best of them.

Earthquake

Keith McCready
07-13-2003, 02:15 PM
I don't know what "TK 6" stands for, but one thought that comes to mind is that Fast Eddie was an off-brand liquor salesman. It could have something to do with the brand name. Never had that question asked before. It's a good one.

Earthquake (looking forward to Ken's lottery winnings)

Kato
07-13-2003, 02:56 PM
Oh yeah Keith, Ken sure does woof like a champion, too bad his game doesn't match his mouth. In addition Ken is a fine looking fellow indeed. Just ask him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He's a Miller Lite guy though, so he's not ALL McCready /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kato~~~Ken can pray to the ghost of Keith McCready as much as he wants.......he's still getting smoked like baby backed ribs.

griffith_d
07-13-2003, 05:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Keith, "Newbie" is just the amount of posts you've made. 25 more and you'll be a little more comfortable with "journeyman" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Here is the list of the standard titles and # of posts to achieve them:

0 stranger
25 newbie
50 journeyman
100 member
200 enthusiast
400 addict
700 old hand
1200 veteran
1600 Pooh-Bah
2500 Carpal Tunnel

Kato~~~Pooh-Bah on the way to Carpal Tunnel or at least insanity. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

It looks like Kato is pushing for Carpal Tunnel.

Griff

bluewolf
07-14-2003, 06:07 AM
Keith,

Are you on any of the accustats tapes? I figure that would be kool to buy, if you are on them.

bw

Keith McCready
07-14-2003, 06:20 AM
I do believe there are some tapes floating around. Not too sure which ones AccuStats have, though. The most recent ones that I can remember are Derby City, me and Grady (I lost), and Jimmy Wetch and me (I won).

Somebody posted that they are selling videotapes on eBay of me playing, some are professionally done and others are home cameras, I guess.

Earthquake

Wally_in_Cincy
07-14-2003, 07:35 AM
Our most famous poster is Bluewolf also known as "Loquacious Laura".........
--------------------------------------------------------

beerwolf,

Melissa Herndon (Melissa in CA) posts occasionally.

Jennifer Beretta posted a couple of times as "nineballbitch" IIRC

And then there's your cousin bluewolf /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif , the most famous APA 2 in the world of pool and billiards. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Deeman
07-14-2003, 07:38 AM
Mark Wilson posts on occasion and has given some very good advice.

Dee

bluewolf
07-14-2003, 08:38 AM
I have been advised by scott among others to focus only on what I have been doing on the table and ways I improve. This is very good advise.A person cannot stay any sl if they are working on their pool unless they are a serious sandbagger. Even then, this eventually catches up with a person.

I know you guys are goshing, but everybody here knows that I am not famous in pool. Perhaps I may one day be famous in something, but I seriously doubt it will be pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I continue to appreciate the words of wisdom and tidbits of knowlege given by those who are really famous.

bw

rackmup
07-14-2003, 11:56 AM
I would appreciate it if you would spend less time practicing pool and spend a little more time with your "APA 7" husband. This might keep him from spending his spare time sending me accusatory messages.

Just a suggestion but I think the top button on that boy's shirt might be just a little too tight, maybe he needs a bigger belt or the air where you live might be a little too thin.

Your fella has "issues."

Regards,

Ken (okay...again..."The Flame King." Gosh I hope that makes our little albino version of a run-amok German Shepard happy.)

bluewolf
07-14-2003, 12:01 PM
I practice during the day while ww is at work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

rackmup
07-14-2003, 12:08 PM
Well...talk to the boy. Let him know that just because someone has a sense of humor and he doesn't, it won't kill him.

Also...because two people have similar (in his opinion) posting styles doesn't make them the same person.

And last...as a revered S/L-7 in the highly regarded pool world of the APA, where timeouts reign and shooting the two ball through a clown's mouth and into a pocket is an automatic win, he should conduct himself in a more adult, less paranoid manner.

Honest...I'm not slimjim. I don't even like slimjims. Or, beef jerky. Or any dried processed greasy meat by-product stick.

Have a great day,

Ken (wondering why ww has a jones for me all of a sudden. I think he misses Fast Larry. Hope I make that ball through that clown's grill tonight...I need a win if I'm ever gonna be a 7!)

bluewolf
07-14-2003, 01:11 PM
Ken,

I take your humor in a different way than ww or FL,even.

I would love to talk to you, but it would have to be on the phone. I am not putting anything about anybody in writing.

I have to be honest, all of these recent happenings have left me pretty paranoid, not knowing who to trust or even if I can trust anyone but myself.Always been a trusting person, so it is a weird space to be in.

Laura

SpiderMan
07-14-2003, 03:26 PM
SlimJim my foot. Why couldn't I see it sooner? Guess I was fooled by the beard. Now I'll PM him.

SpiderMan

rackmup
07-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Yeah Spidey...isn't it amazing how I look 50 years younger in person?

Good grief /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ken

bluewolf
07-14-2003, 06:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> Well...talk to the boy. Let him know that just because someone has a sense of humor and he doesn't, it won't kill him.

<hr /></blockquote>

I talked to him about how much he embarrassed me and things I thought funny that he did not. He did not see why i should be embarrassed and all of that.

There is nothing to do. Please dont ask me anymore to say anything more to him. We do not see eye to eye on such things like what is funny.

bw

bluewolf
07-14-2003, 06:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>

And then there's your cousin bluewolf /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif , the most famous APA 2 in the world of pool and billiards. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Considering the ribbing I have gotten here about that sl thing, do you guys really think I would tell you what sl I am now or a year from now even.None of you knows what I do on the table or has seen my stroke, but go ahead and have your silly fun. Go on and think I am an sl2 forever. I do not care.

Laura

Keith McCready
07-15-2003, 04:36 AM
Bluewolf, sounds like you're taking the heat a little. I take the heat from time to time myself. If they didn't like you, they wouldn't be ribbing you.

Earthquake

bluewolf
07-15-2003, 05:36 AM
Thanks keith. I talked too much about my sl at first, then I stopped. It is now time for the other people to stop. i have tried to be nice, ignore this and it has not worked.

You have a reputation and if you act up, you get creamed and it hurts your reputation. I dont have a reputation. If I act up and get creamed,I dont have a reputation to get hurt.

I appreciate the support. I think that you are a very nice person. BTW, we were looking in books last night. My hubbie has old pool books, one written by hoppe who also had a side stroke. I was wondering if yours is like his. Sometimes I use a side stroke on hard to reach shots. I really am hoping to find one of your videos.

Laura

Fred Agnir
07-15-2003, 05:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> My hubbie has old pool books, one written by hoppe who also had a side stroke. I was wondering if yours is like his. Sometimes I use a side stroke on hard to reach shots. I really am hoping to find one of your videos.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>Laura, if you want to know what Keith's stroke looks like, go watch Color of Money. Keith is Grady Seasons. Although in person, Keith's sidearm is even... more unique.

Fred

griffith_d
07-15-2003, 08:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> My hubbie has old pool books, one written by hoppe who also had a side stroke. I was wondering if yours is like his. Sometimes I use a side stroke on hard to reach shots. I really am hoping to find one of your videos.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>Laura, if you want to know what Keith's stroke looks like, go watch Color of Money. Keith is Grady Seasons. Although in person, Keith's sidearm is even... more unique.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Fred,...are you saying Keith played a part in the movie as Grady or he just shot for the actor?

Griff

pooltchr
07-15-2003, 08:13 AM
He played the part.

Rich R.
07-15-2003, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> Fred,...are you saying Keith played a part in the movie as Grady or he just shot for the actor?

Griff <hr /></blockquote>
I'm not Fred, but Keith played the part and I would say, did his own shooting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
07-15-2003, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr>

Fred,...are you saying Keith played a part in the movie as Grady or he just shot for the actor?

Griff <hr /></blockquote>Keith McCready was the actor.

Keith McCready IMDB (http://us.imdb.com/Name?McCready,+Keith)

Fred &lt;~~~ thought everyone knew this

griffith_d
07-15-2003, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> Fred,...are you saying Keith played a part in the movie as Grady or he just shot for the actor?

Griff <hr /></blockquote>
I'm not Fred, but Keith played the part and I would say, did his own shooting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yep,...I just checked. He is in the movie,..and probably did his own shooting. I would like to know some particulars from Keith.

1. How many takes would made to get the shot right?
2. How many times did the director say, "I don't like that shot,...shoot a cooler looking shot than that"
3. How many times did the director stop him just as he was shooting.
4. How much of the shooting did Tom Cruise do(I know he did the one looking back talking,...that probably took a few takes)

Griff

Keith McCready
07-15-2003, 10:03 AM
In my scenes, I set up all the shots. Tom Cruise did shoot his own shots, all but one, in the whole movie. There was a jump shot, I believe, that Mike Sigel shot for him in one scene.

Earthquake

tateuts
07-15-2003, 01:40 PM
For the uninitiated, here is an article about Keith:

Phil Capelle on Keith McCready (http://www.billiardspress.com/Pronews.cfm)

I don't know if Keith approves of the story, but it fills in a lot of background information. I certainly found his story to be compelling. Keith was a billiard prodigy and one of the best money players in the world even as a teenager.

Chris

bluewolf
07-15-2003, 02:13 PM
While keith's fine talent is discussed, I found the article to be dregging up more dirt than talking about how well he plays.

Maybe it is just me, but I would not like to see an article like that about me on a public forum.

Laura