Chris Melling 5 - 4 Sascha Specchia
Tom Storm 4 - 5 Jang-Su Lee
Jang-su Lee 5 - 4 Michael Valentine

GROUP 16
Nick Varner 5 - 0 Jason Cruz
Marc Holtz 5 - 2 Robert Elsley
Geoff Dunn 5 - 4 Hong-Jo Jung
Antonio Lining 2 - 5 Thorsten Hohmann

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

pooljunkie73
07-12-2003, 09:25 AM
Thanks Harold /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Can you post some more when they come in,please?

Harold Acosta
07-12-2003, 09:29 AM
I'll be checking every few hours. Mike Howerton (AZ Billiards) is in las Vegas, so I'll kick in for him.

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Terry
07-12-2003, 10:39 AM
Hi Pooljunkie, You can the results from their web site. All you have to do is register. Terry http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/results_day1.asp

pooljunkie73
07-12-2003, 10:55 AM
Thanks Terry,i have been on there but,they update at the end of the day.It would be better to get the results from someone watching live. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Luke Riches
07-12-2003, 12:43 PM
We had some early problems but we will be updating every 20 minutes or so.

Luke Riches
www.worldpoolchampionship.com (http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com)

bigbro6060
07-12-2003, 07:00 PM
the site looks good Luke mate, keep up the good work

i'm happy, all my fav players did well on day 1

Deniel
07-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Did anyone notice how dirty Earl Strickland's cue ferrule is? He has this blue ring on his ferrule and it's not like your average one thin blue line, it really looks thick from where I saw it and he made no attempt at all to clean it. It almost feel like he wants it there.

Oh on a different note, apparently Sardo tight rack is no longer used in the tournament, I think it makes some people quite happy, most of the break I saw put the nine ball near the right corner pocket or sink it, Yang chin sun sink the nine on the break 3 times on his match yesterday ^__^

bolo
07-12-2003, 10:03 PM
If that is the case, I like that. I like not being fanatical about stuff.

RedHell
07-14-2003, 12:26 PM
Snapping the 9 three times in a best of 5 makes for an easy set. Too bad it's alternating breaks, he could have won the fastest 9 ball set ever recorded at Cardiff ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Deniel
07-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Now that I think about it, it might be just 2, 3 would mean he aced it on every chance he got and I remember he didn't once. 2 out of 3 breaks is still damn impressive.

Deniel

eg8r
07-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Hello Harold, I have not looked at the results lately, how is Jason doing?

eg8r

Qtec
07-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Johnny Archer comes back from 4-2 down to beat Rico Diks[ NL]. Lucky b******d.

I think its too early to say who thelast 8 is going to be. R Souquet is in form and Bustamente plays solid. Even though I am not impressed by the Yanks so far there are a couple of good players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

What I am learning is the way they play the game . There is much more safety play than I had imagined. Maybe the short race to 5 is responsible for that .The alternate break is good for this sort tournament.

You can see that some players are really good on the break.The most go for the 9 in the middle pocket and I think it was Strickland that made this shot 3 times in a row, same pocket!
I am also learning the jump shot .Havent tried it yet but I dont think its that difficult.
I am taping every match that is shown.

Q

tateuts
07-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Any hope for Ernesto Dominguez? He's a friend of ours and is a great guy!

Chris

Harold Acosta
07-14-2003, 07:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Hello Harold, I have not looked at the results lately, how is Jason doing?

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

For his debut, I wouldn't ask for more:

DAY 1
Hong-Jo Jung 1 - 5 Jason Cruz

DAY 2
Antonio Lining 5 - 0 Jason Cruz

DAY 3
Robert Elsley 5 - 4 Jason Cruz
Thorsten Hohmann 5 - 2 Jason Cruz

and to top it off:

Cruz Case-less In Cardiff

Puerto Rican Jason Cruz was case-less in Cardiff as Dutch airline KLM contrived to lose his luggage on the last leg of his flight from Amsterdam to Cardiff.

That was on Thursday and by Sunday his kit had yet to arrive. The hapless Cruz has been forced to borrow cues and clothing from big hearted colleagues but is fuming at the airline's service.

Clive Cox, Matchroom's man in the pool village blasted, "KLM are a disgrace. They have given me twelve different phone numbers and failed to return a call from any of them. Meanwhile, Jason is having his week ruined by these mugs."

Steve Lipsky
07-14-2003, 09:14 PM
I wonder how fast KLM might send an "inconvenience" check to Jason if Matchroom threatened to discuss the story on the air, live in front of 100 million people.

Just a thought... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Steve

eg8r
07-15-2003, 08:59 AM
OMG, that sucks. Hopefully Jason is still having a good time and enjoying the tournament. He has played some pretty stiff competition. I don't know the others, but Varner and Lining are no slouch. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Harold Acosta
07-15-2003, 10:06 AM
Jason is a very nice down-to-earth guy and maybe he has shrugged it off a little, but I know it bothers him not being able to play with his cue. Jason and Alan, our other player, will be there until Monday the 21st, so I do hope they enjoy their stay.

Harold Acosta
07-15-2003, 10:19 AM
Ernesto made the cut for the final 64. Arrived in 4th place in group 8.

Harold Acosta
07-15-2003, 10:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> OMG, that sucks. Hopefully Jason is still having a good time and enjoying the tournament. He has played some pretty stiff competition. I don't know the others, but Varner and Lining are no slouch. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

GROUP 16

DAY 1
Hong-Jo Jung 1 - 5 Jason Cruz

DAY 2
Anonio Lining 5 - 0 Jason Cruz

DAY 3
Robert Elsley 5 - 4 Jason Cruz
Thorsten Hohmann 5 - 2 Jason Cruz

DAY 4
Jason Cruz 1 - 5 Geoff Dunn
Marc Holtz 4 - 5 Jason Cruz

Geoff Dunn from Scotland = No. 1 ranked, Scottish Champion, Ex-Snooker Professional World No. 123 Ranked, Scottish ranking event winner (4 times), UK APA Tour event finalist, Scottish champion (twice)

Marc Holtz from Luxembourg = European Junior champion (3 times), World Championship - 5th (twice), Luxembourg champion (25 times)

Hong Jo Jung from Korea = No Info

Thorsten Hohmann from Germany = IBC Tour No. 3 ranked, German Straight Pool champion, German Team champion, Euro-Tour Rankweil - Runner-up, European champion (11 times), German champion (8 times), World Junior Championship - 3rd

Robert Elsley - No Profile, no info found.

Nick Varner &amp; Antonio Lining = why go into that?

If we take a look on paper. Jason did his best against this group. At least he beat Marc Holtz from Luxembourg = European Junior champion (3 times), World Championship - 5th (twice), Luxembourg champion (25 times)

eg8r
07-15-2003, 11:11 AM
Wow, those are some tough matches. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congrats to Jason. Next year he will be even stronger.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
07-15-2003, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> Jason is a very nice down-to-earth guy and maybe he has shrugged it off a little, but I know it bothers him not being able to play with his cue. Jason and Alan, our other player, will be there until Monday the 21st, so I do hope they enjoy their stay.

<hr /></blockquote>

Harold,

If I had to play in borrowed clothes with a borrowed cue I wouldn't be able to make a ball. KLM really sucks for not getting his stuff to him in 24 hours or less. Darn Dutch people were probably stoned on pot /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif