PDA

View Full Version : Quest Pool Cues

Trot Nixon
07-12-2003, 09:59 AM
In my search for a cheap yet good pool cue, I stumbled on the Quest Cues in ebay that were selling for under $100 when it says the cue really goes for hundreds of dollars, is this deal too good to be true? thanks for your help

Harold Acosta
07-12-2003, 10:06 AM
I would say that Quest Pool Cues are in the category of Lucasi and Players Tournament cues. Inlays, and some features of higher priced cues. Besides, they are something different from the lower end cues (no inlays, no woodwork).

Just shop around for the best cue. You'll find something.

tateuts
07-12-2003, 10:14 AM
Trot,

They are Taiwan and Chinese production imports. Quest is just a decal stuck on the cue - not the manufacturers name. They are imported into the Los Angeles area and sold on E-Bay.

The web-site was set up to market the imports and the retail prices were "made up" - you can guess the story on that - it's kind of a stretch to think the retail price is $500 and the street price is $75.

Some of their cues are ok I guess. Their best line is actually pretty playable. But, for example, they even sell "transfer" cues (decals) so watch it. If you're going to get an import, Lucasi would be a far better choice.

Chris

griffith_d
07-12-2003, 08:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Trot Nixon:</font><hr> In my search for a cheap yet good pool cue, I stumbled on the Quest Cues in ebay that were selling for under $100 when it says the cue really goes for hundreds of dollars, is this deal too good to be true? thanks for your help <hr /></blockquote>

Goto seyberts and look around. If you cannot afford one from them, then save a little until you can. $150 is not much for a cue, but Seyberts will have something discounted for around that amount and have plenty to choose from.

They just added Cuetec to their lineup,...whatever you do,.do not click on that icon,...you will download a virus.

Griff

mtuckeriii
07-12-2003, 09:30 PM
I have one in my shop right now waiting on some work and I am not real impressed. The inlay work it terrible but the biggest problem is the shafts. These things are big and have almost a conaial taper. There is no way you could use a closed bridge with them. The joint pin is a odd ball quick release so fitting a Predator or other shaft to it is out of the question. My advice would be to save up a few dollars more and buy a well known production cue that you know will stay together and play well. [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

5balljoe
07-13-2003, 01:12 AM
I bought one from e-bay a few months ago and was not impressed at all by the hit.. would advise you to think of Lucasi, Dave Pearson(made by Lucasi), or Player's Tournament Champion cue..

BillPorter
07-13-2003, 04:36 AM
I bought three of them last fall. I have to agree with most of what other people have already said. They are cheaply made, have thick shafts, and would not be as good a choice for you as a cheap Joss, Players, Lucasi, etc. I must disagree with the comments about the Predator shafts as I am currently playing with a Quest butt fitted to a Predator UniLock shaft. (But I guess you can't count on the fit.) Good luck in finding a cue!

mtuckeriii
07-13-2003, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> I must disagree with the comments about the Predator shafts as I am currently playing with a Quest butt fitted to a Predator UniLock shaft. (But I guess you can't count on the fit.) Good luck in finding a cue! <hr /></blockquote>

I did a quick look around ebay and indeed some of the Quests did have the Uni-loc joint while others had the odd ball one. They must buy from several makers and then just private label them.