PDA

View Full Version : Dart Stroking w/a Jump Cue, Don't See Much

Sid_Vicious
07-12-2003, 01:30 PM
I have migrated from the underhanded stroke style for jumper shots, to the dart stroke and I personally find the dart very effective, especially with 1-2 ball width jumps. The main thing though is the accuracy, and the dart(ALFM) is far superior than the standard style using the back-hand under, as you'd normally shoot with your long cue. But ya know I do not see those TV players using jumpers using anything but the standard, underhand stroke, and yet these "professional" players drub & screw-up getting over the blocking ball(s) FAR more than I believe I would ever be guilty of screwing up. I am talking about spaces of 2+ ball width being hosed up! Wouldn't it seem logical that they would experiment with the dart stroke and at least quit missing getting over the blocking ball? It doesn't seem like rocket science to me, and yet you don't seem to see the dart stroke much. I am a solid believer of the dart, as you can tell.

Any other darters with an opinion out there reading this???sid

rackmup
07-12-2003, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid:</font><hr> Any other darters with an opinion out there reading this??? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes...I have an opinion. Shoot...I always have an opinion. And what is my opinion?:

"No problem. I can jump that."

Regards,

Ken (always been a darter and will die a darter)

Terry
07-12-2003, 02:14 PM
Hi Sid, If the blocking ball/balls are two or more balls distance from the cueball and the object ball is a little distance away i'll use the underhand method, thats as long as I can reach it okay. If I only have a small landing area or its out near the middle of the table i'll use the dart. All jumps with the bridge I use the dart.LOL, Terry

Ralph S.
07-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Hello Sid. I use two styles for jump shots. The pendulum stroke for longer shots where height is not a premium and the dart stroke for the shorter jumps where getting clearance height is very important. I do however agree with what you are saying about the pro players and the way they execute jump shots.

eg8r
07-12-2003, 04:14 PM
I don't bother with the dart either. I use the standard underhand stroke on all jump shots. I can say this because you will never see me try a jump shot with less than 2 ball widths away. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

07-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Sid... I've been using the dart stroke for around 3 years now and have become fairly proficient with it. Like you it also surprises me to not see the pros utilizing this type stroke. I even posted a question about it myself a couple years ago. On longer shots with more seperation between the c-ball and the blocking ball a lot of the pros are clearly very accurate with the pendulum stroke. When the c-ball is quite close to the blocking ball (1/2 to 1 ball) and only a short distance jump is needed, the dart stroke is not only effective but can be very accurate. Yet in cases where I can clearly see a dart style jump is possible the pros still stay with the pendulum stroke, usually either clipping the blocking ball on the way over or bouncing the c-ball off the table. Still I think it must be just a matter of time before the pros pick up on how effective it can be. I'm curious to see if the dart stroke makes a long overdue appearance at this year's world's in Cardiff. ...Bob

Fred Agnir
07-13-2003, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I have migrated from the underhanded stroke style for jumper shots, to the dart stroke and I personally find the dart very effective, especially with 1-2 ball width jumps. The main thing though is the accuracy, and the dart(ALFM) is far superior than the standard style using the back-hand under, as you'd normally shoot with your long cue. <hr /></blockquote> I don't know about you, but in a normal jump shot or any normal shot, my back hand is over not under.

[ QUOTE ]
But ya know I do not see those TV players using jumpers using anything but the standard, underhand stroke, and yet these "professional" players drub &amp; screw-up getting over the blocking ball(s) FAR more than I believe I would ever be guilty of screwing up. I am talking about spaces of 2+ ball width being hosed up! Wouldn't it seem logical that they would experiment with the dart stroke and at least quit missing getting over the blocking ball? It doesn't seem like rocket science to me, and yet you don't seem to see the dart stroke much. I am a solid believer of the dart, as you can tell.<hr /></blockquote>Well Sid, the dart stroke has only been around for 3 years or so. Where've you been? For a brief period, probably because of the novelty, many pros showed the dart stroke on TV. That trend has definitely reverted back to the more orthodox style. I don't see too many pros flubbing jump shots.

Personally, I can *make* balls better using an orthodox jump method, but I can *jump* over closer balls using the dart method (with less accuracy). That seems to be the feedback from others as well.

Fred &lt;~~~ has used the jump stick all of two times in a tournament... both in the same match.

rackmup
07-13-2003, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Well Sid, the dart stroke has only been around for 3 years... <hr /></blockquote>

I watched Sammy Jones using the dart strke over 20 years ago to demonstrate the use of Meucci's new line of jump cues.

Who is Sammy Jones? (http://www.discountpoolcues.com/meuccijumpcues.htm)

Regards,

Ken

Sid_Vicious
07-13-2003, 01:19 PM
"I don't see too many pros flubbing jump shots."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fred...I've seen several on ESPN, and with ball spacings that many-a local short stops hit with their long cues instead of the shorter JC. Naaa, I'd say at their level, plus pool being their professional job, that the dart should be a more widely used "guaranteed" clearance shot. Should they use it a lot? Probably not since they are most all comfortable with the standard pendelum, and yet I'd still have to say that it is my opinion that if I was ranked a pro(damn far chance of that), that I would address the issue of adding the dart to my quiver of arrows. The fact that the dart has only been around 3 years is interesting...didn't somebody here post that they saw exhibitions of the dart 20 years back? Maybe you and I watch TV matches at different times because I know I've seen more missed jumps that I, even at my novice level, would not top that blocker. Frankly I'd think twice about perfecting the dart if my living depended on not giving BIH like that...sid~~~been right here

Fred Agnir
07-14-2003, 06:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Well Sid, the dart stroke has only been around for 3 years... <hr /></blockquote>

I watched Sammy Jones using the dart strke over 20 years ago to demonstrate the use of Meucci's new line of jump cues.

Who is Sammy Jones? (http://www.discountpoolcues.com/meuccijumpcues.htm)

Regards,

Ken <hr /></blockquote>Hey, you know. You're right!!! Sammy used the dart stroke with just the shaft before Meucci came out with their jump cue.

I guess I should clarify and say that the introduction of the Happy Hopper and then subsequently the Bunjee Jump Cue put the dart stroke on the map.

Fred