PDA

View Full Version : To Keith McCready

nhp
07-13-2003, 03:26 AM
Hi, I was just wondering, which game have you always liked best? Straight pool? One Pocket? 9-ball? Just curious, thanks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keith McCready
07-13-2003, 07:22 AM
Any game I can win at! But, preferably, I like 9-ball and 1-pocket. I grew up playing straight pool, but I like 9-ball and 1-pocket the best.

When I was a youngster in Bellflower, there was a joint called the Billiard Palace up the street from where I lived. I used to go up to the pool room and watch some big-money games, and it helped me move on as a pool player. Cole Dixon, Richie Florence, and Ronnie Allen were the top players at that time. I think straight pool gave me a good foundation as far as the fundamentals. I then moved on and discovered all the other games.

Earthquake

nhp
07-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Did Billiard Palace turn into Hard Times in Bellflower? I live like 30 minutes away. Alot of top players go there for the first sunday of the month 9-ball tournament. This is probably the most favored billiard room for gamblers and top players in Southern California, from what I hear.

Keith McCready
07-13-2003, 11:04 PM
That's right. Billiards Palace did become Hard Times later on. Some things never change!

Earthquake

nhp
07-14-2003, 12:32 AM
It's a real good place for me to watch/play and learn. My first tournament I played there over a year ago I played King-Kong in the first round. I broke and ran out the first game, and in the second was on my way to a two-pack, when I got extremely nervous and excited while shooting at the nine ball, because a group of people were watching. I dogged it, and he completely ran over me from then on to win the match. That taught me to always get up, take a breather, and shoot the shot when everything feels right. It was pretty embarassing, because the 9-ball wasn't too tough a shot. Oh well, you live and you learn /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
07-14-2003, 04:53 AM
Keith,

Thanks for being here. I enjoy reading your posts.You sound, also, like a nice person.

Laura

Keith McCready
07-14-2003, 06:04 AM
Wish I had a quarter for every time that has happened to me. How about playing 1-pocket, your opponent only needs one, it is your shot, and you shoot the ball in his hole, thinking it is your hole, for the cheese? The hardest thing to do is to "fuggetaboutit" in your mind and move on to the next game (if there is one /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif).

Earthquake

SpiderMan
07-14-2003, 03:17 PM
Keith,

Being a pro with California roots, do you know Hal Houle?

A year ago on this message board we had long-running debates on the merits of his "aiming system", which he promoted quite heavily as being a tool used (but not discussed) by top players. Many of us spent hours on the telephone with Mr Houle, as his preferred method of teaching was via cell phone while at a practice table.

Some of us felt that the system was all it was advertised as, others felt it was only an approximation which got you close to the correct aim and let your "feel" take over.

Are you aware of his system, and do you possibly have opinions regarding it's applicability?

SpiderMan