PDA

View Full Version : Bustamante's Behind The Back Stroke

Sid_Vicious
07-13-2003, 02:04 PM
I couldn't help but wonder after seeing the Espn match today why Bustamante uses the behind the back shot(which he's proficient with, no doubt) instead of going off hand. He definitely switches off from his on-side without hesitation and yet the shot he made today on Espn2 seemed lot's more natural for me to simply go left handed instead of the behind the back shot. You reckon he might like to show off a little???sid

07-13-2003, 02:26 PM
I think it's probably just more comfortable for him than switching hands.

Funny thing is I learned to shoot behind the back 25+ years ago when I first started playing. We used to do it just horsing around, and became surprisingly good at it in a short amount of time. So much so that I used to use it quite a bit to avoid going left-handed, which I sucked at. As I travelled around, I was surprised to see so many folks had never seen it before, or considered it just a show-off shot. I thought everybody shot like that once in awhile. When you practice it, it's really easy to do.

Unfortunately, while I can still do it to an extent, I'm a bit stiffer and "thicker" around the middle now, so it's much more difficult. Now I just go leftie.

UTAddb
07-13-2003, 03:32 PM
I definitely prefer the behind-the-back over left handed. I go left handed very rarely, unless its a real easy shot.

Sid_Vicious
07-13-2003, 08:22 PM
"I think it's probably just more comfortable for him than switching hands."

It just seemed contradictory to the earlier commentation when Bustamante switched left, Grady was quick to say how seamless the left handed switched was to the guy. Oh well, Bustamante plays either shot very comfortably and I'm certainly not one to say whether a player should or should not play specialty shots. After all, he is on TV and I'm not...sid

Qtec
07-13-2003, 09:39 PM
I would use the 'rest'.
Q

Wally_in_Cincy
07-14-2003, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> I would use the 'rest'.
Q

<hr /></blockquote>

I've heard commentators say more than once that Bustamante detests the mechanical bridge. That's why he shoots behind the back. As to why he doesn't go leftie on those I have no idea.