PDA

View Full Version : The biggest money match you ever saw

pooljunkie73
07-13-2003, 04:04 PM
Just watched my buddy play a race to 11 in eight ball for $5000 can..
He won 11-9,but man that's a lot of pressure.

What's the biggest money match you guys have seen played for?

HalSmith
07-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Watch a one pocket scotch doubles game for 3800. a game---Smitty

rackmup
07-13-2003, 05:37 PM
Two guys in Dallas (shall remain nameless) playing one-hole for $500 per game...each shooting one-handed.

Watched Scott Frost playing 9-ball for $1500. a rack in Phoenix.

Saw OPC play a guy here in Arlington one-pocket while getting a 9-7 spot for $20.00.

I played eg8r in a race-to-7 nineball for a slice of pizza.

Regards,

Ken (the pizza was good.)

nhp
07-13-2003, 06:44 PM
I saw Santos Sambajon give Jennifer Chen the 6 and the breaks for $3000 per set, Jennifer lost $6000.

I've seen alot of other matches for decent money, but this one was the most interesting. She barely ever made a ball on the break, giving Santos a huge advantage.

bolo
07-13-2003, 06:49 PM
Saw Archie play in Vegas.

Ralph S.
07-13-2003, 07:28 PM
I witnessed the Paglyuon-McCeady matcup at DCC last January. Maybe Keith will give up the specifics.

pooljunkie73
07-13-2003, 07:35 PM
What's the deal with my fellow Canuk,Keith?

That would be a hell of a match "the Lion" vs. "the Earthquake".I would have loved to see that one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
07-13-2003, 08:02 PM
I was there as well. I'm not going to screw up the details as I'm not positive of the specifics. Needless to say there were 2 big time money players for a little more than toll money.

Kato

NH_Steve
07-13-2003, 08:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> I witnessed the Paglyuon-McCeady matcup at DCC last January. Maybe Keith will give up the specifics. <hr /></blockquote>
Likewise the Durbin vs Watson 9-ball after hours set at DCC was impressive.
However, not as much money, but it was more 'entertaining', watching McCready vs the Russian (whose name i'm drawing a blank on at the moment) playing banks in Chelmsford, MA last year.
And maybe the most entertaining ever was Grady playing Chicago 'Bugs' One Pocket about a dozen years ago -- that was a great show!

eg8r
07-13-2003, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ken (the pizza was good.) <hr /></blockquote> You are so lucky. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was not even going to share after I whupped ya. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

rackmup
07-13-2003, 09:03 PM
Ed,

I did a bid at a guy's house who just moved here from Florida. He had Seminole stuff all over his house. He also had several Dallas Cowboy items in his home.

My question is this: I have broken out in a severe rash since leaving his home. Do you think it was the Cowboy stuff or the Seminole stuff.

Please respond quickly as it itches really bad and the only relief I can get is rubbing Arizona State stuff on it but the relief only lasts for a short time.

Help me before I leave for Pompano!

Regards,

Ken

OnePocketChamp
07-13-2003, 09:11 PM
What he neglected to tell you was after I won, I took Ken out for a good steak dinner. Steaks are so much better on money won!!!!! And that is not the only time we have done the steak thing after I make us the money. HEY, KEN MAYBE WE CAN GO OUT FOR STEAKS ON KATO'S MONEY WHEN YOU GET BACK FROM FLORIDA??????????????

Ken
07-13-2003, 09:19 PM
The Russian was Stalev. Keith was getting a ball spot for $500 a rack, I believe. The Russian played great but that wasn't good enough to spot Keith. He just doesn't miss enough.
KenCT

stevelomako
07-13-2003, 09:30 PM
The Rack in Detroit (closed in the mid 80s) was the place where you could make a fortune playing or betting on pool or anything. The true stories sound more far fetched than anything you could ever make up.

Bill Rosenblum, passed away (Rosie,Airplane Bill) lost millions cash. 1.5 one time. EVERY road player or champion knows of the place. Toughest place in the world to match up, but if you did it right you could take home a grocery bag full of cash! There's been no place like it since.

You might be sleeping and someone would wake you up and tell you that you were getting staked 10,000 a game, go wash up. If we wrote a book just about the things that happened there they would put it in the Fiction section.

I've noticed Keith has been posting, he was thru there before when he was younger (you might remember me) and Grady would absolutly confirm it. If the thread keeps going we could tell a couple of tales if anyone is interested. The statute of limitations is up on almost everthing or people have passed on so most of it doesn't matter to the IRS or the FEDS, seriously, people were scared to talk about it openly because of that kind of stuff.

Kato
07-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Ken, it's a combination of both. The only thing that will save you now is plenty of Miami Hurricane stuff.

Kato

Irish
07-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Biggest match I have seen moneywise was Toby from the Cue Club in LV giving Harry Platis the 9-6 spot in one pocket for 25 grand a set.

Hopster
07-13-2003, 10:50 PM
The Rack in Detroit (closed in the mid 80s) was the place where you could make a fortune playing or betting on pool or anything. The true stories sound more far fetched than anything you could ever make up. &lt;--Steve

Steve, isnt this the place Cornbread Red wrote about in his book ? I read the book a while ago and lost track of it but im pretty sure its the same place.
He did have some stories about that place.

Keith McCready
07-13-2003, 10:57 PM
The Russian gave me a ball in short-rack banks, and after I won that set, we played again even, same game. I won that set as well. It wasn't easy, but I just didn't think he could beat me at that time. We played again in Rochester a year later, and the outcome was the same.

Alex, my little Smurf, and I played three times in Derby and I lost all three. During all the barking back and forth, I was supposed to play Durbin. They could have called it the "Durbin City Classic" that year because Durbin was beating everybody he played, and so I zeroed in on him, hoping to match up. After the game was finally agreed upon, he left to talk to his comrades and never came back, probably upstairs counting all his dough. Alex has no fear when it comes to playing poool, and when Durbin became a no-show, we matched up again. He spotted me the 7, agreeing to play on the bar box upstairs with a mud ball. At this point, the festivities began, and the only thing that didn't show up was my game. Alex is a gentleman and has a lot of heart, and the match didn't last as long as the barking back and forth. His break was brutal on the bar table with the mud ball, and he collected the winnings, deservedly so.

Earthquake

Hopster
07-13-2003, 11:05 PM
Biggest match I have seen moneywise was Toby from the Cue Club in LV giving Harry Platis the 9-6 spot in one pocket for 25 grand a set. &lt;--Irish

Ive heard Toby has a ton of heart. I have dealt craps to Harry more than a few times and this guy is no shrinking violet either. Its nothing for him to have 1 line bet and 2 come bets out there $500 with full odds on all. Can easily come up to 6-7 thousand a pop. Tough player.

pooljunkie73
07-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the full story Keith.

Alex doesn't show much,if any fear when it comes to matching up.He's got a ton of heart.

Hope to hear more road stories from ya Keith.

stevelomako
07-14-2003, 12:03 AM
They would'nt write any good stuff from there cause it was too soon after it closed. The things he had in the book were terrible. They made Henning take out almost everthing good he wrote, cause they were worried about the IRS.
The original draft was way better than the published book.

Hopster
07-14-2003, 01:19 AM
They would'nt write any good stuff from there cause it was too soon after it closed. The things he had in the book were terrible. They made Henning take out almost everthing good he wrote, cause they were worried about the IRS.
The original draft was way better than the published book.&lt;--Steve

Well you sound like you would know as you were there. Let me say this though, he wrote the story about him winning $100,000 shooting craps at the Stardust, caught a monster hand. Well, this story is right as rain as i know at least one dealer who was working the Stardust at the time and thats the number he gave me and this was years before i read the book. The funny part was he goes and blows the $100,000 or whatever what was left of it back, then goes up to the room and starts throwing all the clothes he bought out the window. lolol, Classic !!!
I heard also gave the Riviera heart palpatations on the crap table once or twice. The man definetly had heart.

bigbro6060
07-14-2003, 02:09 AM
just two weeks ago, Darren Appleton beat Ross McInnes for 20000 english pounds (around 30000 US dollars)

HalSmith
07-14-2003, 05:44 AM
I saw the Russian,Eugene, play one hole for $3ooo. a game at Ledgends in Leauge City near Houston.---Smitty

Ralph S.
07-14-2003, 06:25 AM
I knew that was the outcome Keith, I just didnt want to speak out of turn incase you didnt want it mentioned. Do you by chance remember that younger black kid woofing at ya upstairs while the money was being put together? He was annoying and I was really hoping he woulda stepped up and got his ass whipped.

You may remember me, you gave my dad one of your beers although your supply was running a little low. That was a nice gesture on your part.

Fred Agnir
07-14-2003, 06:26 AM
I watched a lot of the Walden vs. Cooney 1-hole in Derby City a couple of years ago. Many many jellybeans.

Fred

Fred Agnir
07-14-2003, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooljunkie73:</font><hr> Just watched my buddy play a race to 11 in eight ball for $5000 can..
He won 11-9,but man that's a lot of pressure.

What's the biggest money match you guys have seen played for? <hr /></blockquote>I remember the first time I ever heard of someone playing for a $100 a set, I just couldn't believe it. Then watching a guy playing $300 a game one handed, and I couldn't believe it. Then going to the Derby City Classic and the matchups there making $1000 a game seem like chump change cheap sets is just mind-boggling.

When so many people in the same room have the nuts to be betting thousands, the feeling is exhilarating. Almost addicting. Hell, it is addicting. It swallows you up, and you easily can caught in the moment.

Fred

griffith_d
07-14-2003, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HalSmith:</font><hr> I saw the Russian,Eugene, play one hole for $3ooo. a game at Ledgends in Leauge City near Houston.---Smitty <hr /></blockquote>

How often do you go to Legends? I have been wanting to play in the weekly 9 ball tournament there, but it is just so far to go.

Griff

eg8r
07-14-2003, 07:13 AM
Oh that would definitely be the Seminole stuff. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif The only way to clear that up is with some Gator stuff.

eg8r

DEADSTOKE32
07-14-2003, 09:11 AM
One year is at the US OPEN in VA and watch Clif Joyner playing some guy from Texas give him 2-13 in 1- hole for 5000 a game.I hear Clif won about 60 grad that nite and was flat broke buy Sunday ,and it was a friday when thay played... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

UWPoolGod
07-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Yeah I have also seen Harry Platis play severl times in Seattle playing one-hole for $1000/rack. Those are the biggest I have seen with my limited travels around the NW.

dardusm
07-14-2003, 11:37 AM
I also witnessed the matchup between Keith and Alex. They were using the big ball that would get hung up in the pocket everytime it scratched. Somebody would then have to drop a ball or two into the pocket in order for the cueball to return. The young black kid wolfing I believe was Amar Kang. If I'm not mistaken, Keith played him in the finals of a couple of Falcon tour stops recently.

Darryl

snook
07-14-2003, 11:38 AM
i shot alot of 1 on 5 and 9 last night in 9b and then played a race to three for 20. lol. shows how big time i am. oh wait, around here, that IS bigtime. there was only one guy in the room willing to match up with me for any money.

Keith McCready
07-14-2003, 11:52 AM
The younger kid was Omar. When the barking continued and continued and continued, I think he could smell the stakes, leaving his nostrils wide open. Can't blame the kid for trying.

Earthquake

stevelomako
07-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Right about the craps stories. He bought clothes for alot of players that time, he would spread the money around when he won cause ya never know when you might need something down the road. Players really aren't like that much anymore.
Corn was definately the man at the rack, or anywhere for that matter, always trying to get something going.

Lot of different crews always around there, Chicago guys, Cleveland, Pittsburgh. Jack Cooney &amp; John Hagar were real tough partners, same with Sammy Jones &amp; James Christopher. I remember Jew Paul and Surfer Rod pitching quarters outside in the snow for $1000 a pop, they cleared a spot on the sidewalk and threw for the crack. Don't think Allen Hopkins ever got beat there. Earl even played One-pocket, got out a rack running 5 or 6 balls with game ball by other guys hole unbelievable, banking, cutting a ball backward, got him even and he quit, bitchin and moanin that one-pockets too tough. Grady never ducked anybody in there, ALWAYS going after Bugs. Mike Carrella gave Superfly 45-5 playing one hole and robbed him, it was a joke. Jean Balukas came in to play Lori Shampoo 10,000 sets but Lori made some comment about she was going to shoot her ovaries out so Jean didn't play, got a little mad about the wolfing. The stuff that went on before the games was better than the action itself sometimes.

Keith McCready
07-14-2003, 02:29 PM
I'm glad you mentioned that action. That was some of the best action I was ever at, too. I was fixing to play Billy Cardone over there for 100 large. Chicago was going to stake me against Phil Hubbard and Billy, but the game never materialized. I did play Bernie Schwartz, which he played pretty good over there, and I happen to beat him racing to 11 the couple times that we did play. I was hanging around Red Fox, real nice guy, and I guess if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have been there as long as I was, but as far as the action goes, you are right. There was more action there, more money there than I've ever seen.

Do you remember when Popcorn put the three cueballs in the sock? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Earthquake

RedHell
07-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Isn't it what they do in jail when it's pay back time ???

I only hope you are referring to a trick shot !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

pooljunkie73
07-14-2003, 03:29 PM
100 large is just FREAKING insane /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifNow that takes balls to back someone/anyone for that much money,damn. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

stevelomako
07-14-2003, 05:06 PM
You remember the old guy getting hit in the head by Popcorn? It's lucky he didn't kill him. Chicago Paul would gamble wouldn't he. Bernie "The Hawk" Swartz is still around here (his wife just passed away, he was really devoted to her). Redd Foxx was one of kind. Billy Ray beat Rosie out of a ton and if I remember- Him, Rosie, You and Platis did something in Vegas, Partners or something. At the last U.S. OPEN One-Pocket I was messing with Platis bettin him up in the calcutta, thank god he didn't stick me with him, think I got him up to 200 before I stopped, everybody thought I was nuts. If you still talk to him now and then tell him Teddy "The Greek" is on a pool nut and would play.
Ya know, if you're interested I have some ideas to make some decent money..........all legal. People love to hear about gambling more than anything and I know you've been running around lately, but the road gets weary at times doesn't it?

HalSmith
07-14-2003, 07:18 PM
Griff, I go there a2 to 3 times during the week and am therefor about 5 to six hours on Sat. and Sun. You can catch me in the 9 foot room playing one hole. The 9 ball tournament is on Thurs. and I guess its alright . I don't play in it so can't tell you much. I do know that there are some good player show up for it.----Smitty

Hopster
07-14-2003, 10:49 PM
I remember Jew Paul and Surfer Rod pitching quarters outside in the snow for $1000 a pop, they cleared a spot on the sidewalk and threw for the crack. &lt;--Steve

Good stuff, lol. Probably never see a place like that again.

Keith McCready
07-15-2003, 04:25 AM
Those were the days, weren't they? I'll give Harry your regards next time I talk to him.

I have actually been taking it kind of easy. I am trying to get used to a new cue stick before I hit the tournament trail; first stop, Goldsboro, North Carolina. I know it will be a well-run event with Hooker involved.

Earthquake

stevelomako
07-15-2003, 09:46 AM
What in the hell are you doing up at 6:30 in the morning?
Making the morning cup of Metamucil?

When is this tournament in N.C., maybe I can get Paul to go and play Hooker some, 76 and the old guy is still on a pool drunk and still outlasts everybody (except me). Durbin was playing him at my place giving up 9-5 for a dime in the middle and Paul's got side action, well after about 22 hours Eric's up 17 games and tells Paul he's gonna wear him down......Paul says "you wanna bet 10,000 you quit before I do?" Eric gives him a stupid look and doesn't know what to do, finally tells him no (but you could see a little bulge in the back of his drawers come out), lose's the next 13 games in a row in like 3 hours and quits him 4,000 winner, 26hrs and he went belly-up to a guy that could be his Great-Grandfather. Sweet aint it! Sucked because we could see it coming too.

Keith McCready
07-15-2003, 09:53 AM
Hooker's tournament is: The Carolinas Open, Fast Eddie's Sports Bar &amp; Grill, Goldsboro, North Carolina; Phone,(252)756-8040; July 29-August 3, 2003; $10,000+ added, one pocket and 9-ball.

Sure to be plenty of tournament play and after-hours activities.

Earthquake