PDA

View Full Version : What is the best method for bank shots

preacherman
04-01-2002, 02:42 PM
I have read and practiced quite a bit on bank shots.
I use the diamond system some, otherwise so far I not
real crazy about other methods/formula's. I also use
PRACTICE and common sense to make many bank shots. I
know there are MANY factors that will change the path
of a rail shot, but still want your input on the BEST,
most accurate system in your opinion. Also are there any
good books on this subject.

Thanks!

Tom_In_Cincy
04-01-2002, 02:44 PM
We (12 of us) are going to get a clinic put on by John Brumbeck, one of the best Bank pool players in the Mid West. John will be traveling from KY to visit us in Cincinnati this month. Maybe I will share some of his tips.. looking forward to the experience.

stickman
04-01-2002, 02:52 PM
Very good question. I don't use any system. My banks are based on lots of practice and trail and error. I use a lot of side english on my banks to alter the path. It comes in real handy, but I know of no system to calculate it, only lots of pratice. I'll be anxious to see the replies. Maybe I can learn along with you.

dave
04-01-2002, 03:18 PM
Mike Sigel had an article in BD a couple of months ago on the system that I prefer. This system is based primarily on the use of ball speed to shorten or lengthen the angle off the rail. As you know, banking has so many variables that influence the path of the ball rebounding off the rail and I believe the key to good, consistent banking is removing as many variables as possible. You would be amazed at how much you can vary the object ball path simply by using soft, medium and hard cueball speeds. MOST of the time it is unnecessary to cut the object ball when banking and this is one variable that can be removed from the equation using this method. There are a variety drills that you can use to teach yourself to recognize the angle of a "dead" bank at medium speed. When you can consistently recognize THAT angle, it becomes easy to accurately judge when you need to lenghten the angle with a softer hit or shorten the angle with a harder hit. Check out Sigel's article.

Ralph S.
04-01-2002, 04:18 PM
I am jealous Tom, wish I could be there too. Please share with us as much info as you possibly can. Thanks.
Ralph S.

04-01-2002, 06:01 PM
As an instructor, and a player for over 30 years, I can tell you that MOST pro players bank more by "feel" than anything else. Yes, there are several 'systems' out there, and all of them have some basis in fact, plus some speculation. However, as has been indicated in other posts, there are 7 distinct variables that can negatively affect the outcome of the bank...speed probably being the most prominent. I do not agree that you don't have to 'cut' most bank shots. I teach the 'cut' system for banking (which was taught to me by Jerry Briesath), and find it to be fairly accurate. However, ALL banks are a guess. You can become a reasonably good guesser, with LOTS of trial & error + practice!

Scott Lee