PDA

View Full Version : Evacuation-fire! fire!

bluewolf
07-14-2003, 06:24 AM
We were evacuated from our condo saturday morning because of a fire on the other side of the building. Sadly, the fire was started by someone on the top floor which set the sprinklers off and all units under them were drenched, furniture , carpet etc., destroyed. Felt sorry for those without homeowner's because the condo does not assume responsibility for their personal belongings, only the carpet, repairing damage to the structure.

It was quite an experience as we scrambled to find a good kennel that had space to keep our dogs while we were exiled to the Holiday Inn. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It was a good kick in the seat of the pants to get that homeowners insurance we do not have. If the fire and the drenching had been on our side of the building, we would have lost a lot of stuff with no way to replace it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyone here had a similar experience or maybe worse?

bw

nAz
07-14-2003, 12:25 PM
Im glad you and yours are ok BW. get that Insurance!

Rod
07-15-2003, 12:26 PM
Well yes, my home burned down in 2000. I was insured, by all means buy insurance. You just can not afford to be without such. Even if you don't get that new cue, take a trip to Virgina, have to give up a dog or two, buy insurance. Even with insurance it isn't a sweet deal, the loss is more than you can imagine.

Rod

bluewolf
07-15-2003, 12:56 PM
We did get insurance right away, but I am sorry to hear about what happened to you.

But, make no mistake about it, I would give up everything I own, before I would give up one of my dogs. My dogs are the most important things in my life.During the fire, I just came out to see if the fire was spreading our way, so that I could get them out if that was the case. I knew in that moment that nothing else that I owned would have mattered, only their safety.

I have stories of what I have done to save my dogs in the past and other dogs too but I will not go into that here.People here think I am crazy enough as it is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I did feel bad for the people without insurance though.

Laura

Rod
07-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Two cats died in this fire, smoke inhalation. One thing about having pets, like humans, if they don't have an escape route, they are in trouble.

Chris Cass
07-15-2003, 01:32 PM
Laura,

You have to get insurance. There's no other way to recover even from minor damage you'll loose out. Save receipts and get estimates for everything. It was a wake up call for sure. You must talk Ray into this.

A dear friend of mine lost a Gus Szamboti cue during a devastating hurricane and could never be replaced. I'm sure the effects of the disaster still lives with him today. Insurance, will not come close to the mental devastation of the people that suffer from these terrible things. Something to think about and good argument to getting some insurance. Something atleast.

12 yrs. ago I left a good job, with a new wife and a brand new baby. We plunked $10,000. down payment on a house in corn country. The companies out here recently, went through and downsizing of all the money making jobs available. No new hires.

I shot pool for a yr. straight, bringing home milk, diapers and spending a lot of time running around playing tourneys and side action. I had to recruit backers and had to split, even with odds way in my favor. Sure, I could have landed a counter job but I was spoiled with the great job I left.

One day we had a storm and lightening struck my neighbors lot, causing the jerks tree to fall on my house. Well, little damage was made to my gutters and it knocked out my power line. We had a tree in our driveway for 3 days.

I had to buy milk daily and food because the fridge doesn't run on batteries. Had to park on the street for 3 days. My rotten neighbors couldn't have it removed till then. It was summer time, no airconditioning, couldn't do laundry and the jerk wouldn't even give me outlet. I atleast would have run a power cord over. This is minor compared to others problems but even 3 days can be brutal. Candels are only fun if you don't need them.

Sincerely,

C.C.~~happy your ok...

bluewolf
07-15-2003, 02:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Two cats died in this fire, smoke inhalation. One thing about having pets, like humans, if they don't have an escape route, they are in trouble. <hr /></blockquote>

That is exactly what I have been talking to ray about. fixing the windows so i can jump out with my animals. And if it is real bad, you cant find them especially cats. If it was in my apartment, the dogs would have been easier to find but cats, which I have two of, hide in all of these small places. No question we are getting insurance, figuring out better escape routes and trying to set up a system with other animal lovers, like a network. We also want to get the best smoke detectors possible. Any brands recommended.

Sorry about your cats.

Laura