PDA

View Full Version : I stole a cue!

MarkUrsel
07-14-2003, 07:11 PM
I keep an eye on eBay's billiards section fairly regularly. A few weeks ago, a Predator LE-IX comes up listing at $400. The lister put a reserve on it, and it went through to the end with no bids. This cue sells for $1445 MSRP (probably $1100 street).

At the last second, I put in a low-ball bid and absolutely stole it with a bid of $450. I did everything wrong. The guy was a new lister with zero sales or feedback. The listing was poorly written and some lifted straight from Predator's site. The PayPal info was unconfirmed.

At least the name, address and phone number all checked out with a long-established listing in the phone book, so the lister looked genuine.

I send the money, he ships the cue. I'm still pretty nervous, but a few days later, the cue arrives. Whew!

It's a beauty. The photos on the Predator site (http://www.predatorcues.com/english/LE9.htm) just don't do it justice. But I noticed a couple of minor differences - the joint wasn't as described and I couldn't find the individual numbering that's supposed to be on the LE series of cues.

I was worried about it, so I sent an email to Predator and was told it was a one-of-a-kind prototype for the LE-IX - very rare! They also said two prototypes were made - but only one with the linen wrap.

Needless to say, I'm a happy camper!

My question to you all is, what do you think a cue like this is really worth? (I know..I know...the Predator bashers will say I overpaid no matter what, but seriously...) Is a prototype of a premium limited edition cue worth extra?

tateuts
07-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Mark,

You got yourself a great deal. I would document the "prototype" statement from Predator.

Time will tell if these cues prove to be collectible. While Predator shafts have a big following, their cues (except their BK cue) seem to be struggling. As to the value, the cue market is flooded and values are super soft.

I've sold new customs that were originally $3,000 for $1,000. A lot of Schon LE's which retail from $1200 to $1800 can be had barely used for $600 to $800.

I would guess the value of your cue, if sold on E-Bay by a pro, would bring in $600 to $700. This may sound low, but I am very experienced at it and that's my educated guess.

It sounds like you're really happy with the cue no matter what the dollar value and that's the best deal going.

Chris

Deniel
07-14-2003, 08:36 PM
"I stole a cue!" <- MarkUrsel
And you should return it... to me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though, that's a great deal you got there congratulation ^___^, To be honest I'm quite surprised the seller actually send the cue. I'm not too familiar with ebay rules, but if you bid below reserve price, is the seller still obligated to the deal?

Deniel <- wish he had spotted the listing too

MarkUrsel
07-14-2003, 08:50 PM
The reserve was $450, which surprised me. It was sitting at $400 for the whole week, I had no idea what the reserve was, so I bid up to $500 at the last second. Seeing as the reserve was $450, that's what the bid went to automatically.

I don't think the seller really knew what he had his hands on.

And hey, it'll probably wind up on ebay again...but I don't think $450 is gonna take it home this time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deniel
07-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Oh $450.. yeah that's quite a surprise alright.

Well I don't know, if the seller really doesn't know what he has and seeing the previous one got only one bid he might actually lower the price, at least lower the starting bid. I know I know, wishfull thinking LOL ^___^

Deniel <- wonders what kind of cue seller doesn't know cue price...

SPetty
07-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Man, what a hot deal! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Did you happen to ask the seller what the history of the cue is? If he didn't know its worth, he may not have been the original buyer of the cue. Sometimes, cue sellers will tell you a little history of the cue if you ask. (Or are you a little afraid to know the answer? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

MarkUrsel
07-15-2003, 12:24 PM
I think it was more of the "don't want to know" category. Predator is in Jacksonville and so is the seller. He said he got it from a friend who needed cash - he also said he was happy because he was making money on it. It was sounding a bit shady.

Didn't really want to know much more than that until I found out if the cue was legit or not. Now that I found out, I don't want to call the guy - it'd be like rubbing salt in the wound if he knew what he gave away.

Neil from Predator actually thought it was his old cue, but the wrap was different.

tateuts
07-15-2003, 03:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarkUrsel:</font><hr> I think it was more of the "don't want to know" category. Predator is in Jacksonville and so is the seller. He said he got it from a friend who needed cash - he also said he was happy because he was making money on it. It was sounding a bit shady.

Didn't really want to know much more than that until I found out if the cue was legit or not. Now that I found out, I don't want to call the guy - it'd be like rubbing salt in the wound if he knew what he gave away.

Neil from Predator actually thought it was his old cue, but the wrap was different. <hr /></blockquote>

That's why I was suggesting having the cue documented if you can as a prototype. I know I would be concerned if I bought a cue that was supposed to be numbered and it didn't have a number on it.

My concern was that it would be a cue that was sold through "inappropriate" channels before the numbering was applied - you get the point.

Chris

MarkUrsel
07-15-2003, 04:24 PM
I certainly will Chris, I have the entire exchange saved, as it was all done by email. It was definitely a relief to find it it was not only legitimate, but better than I thought!