PDA

View Full Version : KICK question???????

CarolNYC
07-15-2003, 05:59 AM
This weekend, the JPNEWT tour had a tournament at Castle Billiards, as some of you may have already seen the results on AZBilliards.com,(I played okay-took 4th,blah,blah) and may I add, this tour is run my our infamous BARBARA, so high-five to Barbara for doing a GREAT job!
Anyways, there is always one shot that stumps me-this time, it is me and Barbara as opponents and she plays this great safe on me-thanks alot Barb! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Im thinking to come behind the ball, kick it down table and leave cue up table-I come up too short-but here it is:
START(
%FH8S4%GR9P9%Hf1D4%I`1M6%Pg5D2%Wr1F5%Xh3E1%YB7N2%Z s0H1%[f6R6
%\C2N6
)END
Anybody have an opinion?
Have a great day!
Carol:):):) /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve Lipsky
07-15-2003, 07:35 AM
Carol, this is a very difficult hit. Nice safe Barbara!

I would've gone three rails to hit the 6, as shown:

START(
%FH8S4%GR9P9%Hf1D4%I`1M6%Pg5D2%UG8D7%VH8R4%Wr4I2%X h3E1%YJ7[1
%Zr5J1%[D0Y1%\I4[2%]H0U1%^C3X6%_G4N1%`G3J4%aG5C9%br7N5%cf1P4
%dI0T4
)END

It presents a "bigger ball" to hit, plus the chance for a return safe.

Keep in mind - pulling this shot off is still pretty low percentage. But so is any other way to go. And at least this way results in a possible safe.

- Steve

SpiderMan
07-15-2003, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> This weekend, the JPNEWT tour had a tournament at Castle Billiards, as some of you may have already seen the results on AZBilliards.com,(I played okay-took 4th,blah,blah) and may I add, this tour is run my our infamous BARBARA, so high-five to Barbara for doing a GREAT job!
Anyways, there is always one shot that stumps me-this time, it is me and Barbara as opponents and she plays this great safe on me-thanks alot Barb! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Im thinking to come behind the ball, kick it down table and leave cue up table-I come up too short-but here it is:
START(
%FH8S4%GR9P9%Hf1D4%I`1M6%Pg5D2%Wr1F5%Xh3E1%YB7N2%Z s0H1%[f6R6
%\C2N6
)END
Anybody have an opinion?
Have a great day!
Carol:):):) /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Carol,

That's a tough one. Looks like from the position of the balls, if you want to go two rails lengthwise and hit the 6, your path almost takes you into the 9. You might try going more perpendicular into the first rail and spin in behind the six, but jacked up over the ball you'd have to be damn good to control it, especially since the running english would become reverse off the second rail.

I think the three-rail path might actually be easier to hit, since it would be running english off every rail and you do have to hit the six hard enough to put some distance between it and the cue:

START(
%FH8S4%GR9P9%Hf1D4%I`1M6%Pg5D2%Ws0G8%Xh2D5%YO7Z9%Z s2H2%[C9W0
%\O1[0%]G8T2%^C5V9
)END

You are in jail, and the two-rail shot has you shooting hard into a rail and jacked-up too. Heck, I might even like my odds of beating Rod Elliott from that position.

SpiderMan

Steve Lipsky
07-15-2003, 08:02 AM
Hey Marty... what's that saying about great minds? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

- Steve

Rich R.
07-15-2003, 08:10 AM
Carol, the kick is easy. It's getting my foot up on the table, that I have trouble with. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DYNAMITE safety Barbara. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

All the choices for the kick are very low percentage shots. Another option would have been to try to tie some balls up to prevent Barbara from running out, but that is also very difficult from that position. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

In highly technical pool terms, I think she got ya'. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Fran Crimi
07-15-2003, 08:24 AM
Hey Carol, no wonder why you missed the hit. You're kicking the 7 with the 6 still on the table! Ha!

Were you trying to kick the ball in the 7 ball position or the 6 ball position?

Fran

SpiderMan
07-15-2003, 08:25 AM
Just like twin turbos, running in tandem /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Barbara
07-15-2003, 09:44 AM
Steve,

That's exactly what Rich Sacco recommended, too.

BTW, I didn't intentionally play the safe as I really missed the 6-ball and the CB ended up behind the 8!

Barbara~~~not THAT good with safeties... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara
07-15-2003, 09:47 AM
(Pssst Rich! - I didn't intend to play safe! I missed the 6 ball)

(Barbara~~~starting to get embarrassed here /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Barbara
07-15-2003, 09:51 AM
Carol,

Congrats on your 4th place finish! The points are updated on the website and you are upwardly mobile.

Okay, I'm done trying to set things straight. Yeah, I PLAYED that safe! I meant for you to see the real meaning of what it's like to BE BEHIND THE 8 BALL!! HA! that's what you deserved for the a$$-whooping you gave me in that match!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
07-15-2003, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> (Pssst Rich! - I didn't intend to play safe! I missed the 6 ball)

(Barbara~~~starting to get embarrassed here /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif) <hr /></blockquote>
Pssst, Barbara, your not suppose to tell everyone. When you don't make a ball, and the cue ball ends up like it did, you quietly walk back to your chair with a confident grin. Always look like you meant it and like you have done it before. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
It scares the heck out of them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rod
07-15-2003, 10:18 AM
Carol,

If someone left me that shot, I'd walk over and kick them in the ankle! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How do you say up $hit creek without a paddle. ha ha ha

Spidey and Steve gave you the best route, it's a tough shot. Just for reference, when you need to put a little force behind the shot, and you did in this case. Try to hit the c/b a little below center so it doesn't hop off that first rail. A hop makes it go long and takes off speed. A little draw shortens up the angle, and keeps the c/b on the table, so aim accordingly. It looks like you could hit near the center or below on the c/b which in this case is always better.

~~rod, glad I didn't have to shoot that one

CarolNYC
07-15-2003, 03:35 PM
Hi Rod,
Ha Ha Ha-you bet I wanted to kick her /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif(just kidding!)Im telling ya, if you ever seen a match between me and Barbara you'd LYAO! All the mumbling and grumbling to ourselves! ha ha!
Thanks so much for the input-I really appreciate it!
Stay well!
Carol~needed ROD to shoot this one! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
07-15-2003, 03:40 PM
Oh, how I know you played me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifBut, "I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too!"Good shooting Barb!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CarolNYC
07-15-2003, 03:45 PM
THE 6 BALL FRAN!
I got the "brainfreeze" on that shot-normally, I just see it and this time I didnt and poked and hoped! I hate when that happens!UGH UGH UGH
Carol

CarolNYC
07-15-2003, 03:55 PM
Hey Steve,
I shouldve seen that-yes, thats the shot and Spidermans ,too! You two are now the "A" team- lol-
I love it when a plan comes together-
I was fooling around on my table today with it-thank you very much!
Tell Gina I said "Way to go!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif:):)
Hope to see ya soon!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
07-15-2003, 03:59 PM
Confident grin? She walked away with a mile wide smile and the "GOTCHA!" gleam her eye! ha ha ha
It was ALL GOOD! Miss ya!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
07-15-2003, 05:16 PM
Oh, sorry Carol. LOL! By the look of your blue arrow, I really thought you were trying to hit the 7 ball and you just mixed up the balls in the diagram.

Hey, if we made every kick every time, pool would sure be boring, wouldn't it?

Fran

Tom_In_Cincy
07-15-2003, 08:44 PM
Carol,
Nice try, (Great leave by Barbara)

I have had a lot of success with this two rail bank system.
I find the middle of the two balls (marked "A") on the WEI Table layout (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/9egg/) with the corner pocket "D". I line up my cue to point from point "A" to point "D". Then I take my cue on a parrallel path of the Cue ball to the end rail and hit with center just about medium speed.
START(
%FH8S4%GR9P9%Hf1D4%I`1M6%Pg5D2%QW6J6%Rq9Z1%Ws4J1%X h0D5%Yr5[0
%ZX8K9%[s3J8%\V7[4%]I3T1%^V9[5
)END
Its got a pretty good success rate.. but I would advise a lot of practice time on these shots. They work a lot better for "same end of the table" 2 rail kicks.

dave
07-15-2003, 08:55 PM
It's been my experience that the angle of reflection off the second rail is never parallel to the angle of incidence into the first rail as illustrated in your diagram.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-15-2003, 09:18 PM
Dave,

This WEI table drawing isn't exact. Neither is my method. Lots of table conditions will affect this shot. Its just a method of gaining an approximation of the two rail kick.

The more I practice and use it, the better it has become for me.

Experiences (yours and mine) are just being shared. What you want to do with them is up to the readers.

Did you know about this system before I posted it?

dave
07-15-2003, 09:56 PM
Quote Tom: "Did you know about this system before I posted it?"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Not as such, but I am familiar with a variety of diamond systems which relate to this situation. The system you describe is okay for a beginning frame of reference. I simply wanted to point out that the angles off the second and/or third rails get progressively get wider. If you keep this in mind, the visualization of the shot will be more accurate. In Byrne's first book, in the section on diamond systems, there is a simple and useful discussion of track lines that some might find helpful and don't require any math.

CarolNYC
07-16-2003, 03:43 AM
Thanks Tom,
A friend of mine showed me the parallel two rail kick:):)
On this shot, it was my "uncertainty" that got the best of me-normally when I approach the table, I just "see it"-but when I seen the cue roll right on the eight,- I was like, "Oh no!" ha ha ha-then the thinking starts /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif and I hate when that happens!ha ha ha
Thanks for the help!
Have a great day!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
07-16-2003, 03:51 AM
Ha Ha HA,
Fran, how can pool be boring?Those wonderful feelings of missing the nine on a hill-hill game or miscuing with BIH, ha ha ha-
Carol~"Oh, the horror, the horror!" ha ha ha /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif