PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tip do you like? brand, feel?

rukiddingme
07-15-2003, 04:35 PM
I just purchased a Nitti sneaky pete and it has a super rock hard lepro tip on it (this is not the original tip). I'm not going to use it as a break cue so I'm going to retip it with something that has a medium/hard feel to it. What kind of tip would you get if you were me?
What is the best tip out there?
ruk

UWPoolGod
07-15-2003, 04:42 PM
I bought some Moori tips from Barringer and love em. It took me a week to get used to the hardness of it switching from a LePro, but now I love it.

As far as break cues go I have no idea.

Todd <--- not much help at all

dg-in-centralpa
07-15-2003, 04:49 PM
I've got a moori on my regular cue as well as my break cue.

dg-in-centralpa
07-15-2003, 04:51 PM
I forgot... they're medium hard.

UWPoolGod
07-15-2003, 04:53 PM
Mine are Medium as well. I can't begin to imagine how hard the "Hard" Moori would be. The "M" feels like a rock.

jjinfla
07-15-2003, 07:20 PM
My bud just got back from the Trade Show in Vegas and brought back some Tiger Sniper med hard tips and put one on my cue. It is supposedly a new tip. Laminated and not supposed to mushroom. Tried it today for a couple hours and I really like it. Don't know how it compares in price to the Moori. Jake

pooldaddy9
07-15-2003, 08:23 PM
LePro is not a hard tip.It is a medium tip.You want a good tip, try a Triangle tip. JMO

nhp
07-15-2003, 10:47 PM
I use a morrey (spelling?) medium hard tip. I have experimented with alot, and morreys seem to give good consistent hits.

07-16-2003, 09:54 AM

SpiderMan
07-16-2003, 10:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> LePro is not a hard tip.It is a medium tip.You want a good tip, try a Triangle tip. JMO <hr /></blockquote>

Funny for you to say that. Personally, I like a medium Moori tip. Fast Larry is the only one I know who would agree with you. <hr /></blockquote>

He's not the only one, I really like the triagles also. I don't consider them to be especially hard (more like medium hard), but they do hold a crown well and chalking ability is better than 'most any tip because of the coarse fibers. Moori is also very good, but we're talking about a $12 tip versus a 50-cent tip.

OTOH, the tip I play with is this one that I build up myself. It has the best characteristics of several, and I like it best of all /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/vwp?.dir=/Erwin+Cue&amp;.src=ph&amp;.dnm=Hard+Gradient+Tip.jpg&amp;.view =t&amp;.done

SpiderMan

Deeman
07-16-2003, 10:42 AM
[I stood there in disbelief as he demonstrated to us the shot, picked up the cueball and showed us the chalk mark right on the red spot where he said it would be. <hr /></blockquote>

O.K., I gotta ask, did he draw the ball by jacking up and hitting down at the center? If not, somebody has to tell us how this is done.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sid_Vicious
07-16-2003, 11:50 AM
You're cuttin' off the tip I'd play with, the hard one...sid

eg8r
07-16-2003, 11:53 AM
I like my Talisman tips. Depending on my mood (I guess) I have one shaft with the Talisman Pro Medium (most often used) and the other shaft has the Talisman WB Hard.

eg8r

DoomCue
07-16-2003, 12:18 PM
I use Talisman WB Hard on my break stick, Talisman WB Medium on my shooting cue. I used LePros for a long time (I get them for free), but I tried a Talisman for the heck of it and I fell in love with it. Even though I can get free LePros, I'd rather pay for the Talismans. I've also tried Triangles, Elk Masters, and Tigers. I've heard nothing but good things about Mooris, but I go through a tip on my shooting cue every couple of months, so Mooris are a little cost-prohibitive for me.

BTW, does anybody else have problems with wearing their tips out fast? I don't shape my tips after the initial shaping, but I do use a mushroom tool every once in a while. I generally play pocket speed on my shots, but my tips get worn down really fast. My wife has had the same tip on her cue for 3 years! I can't for the life of me figure out why I go through so many tips. Anybody have any guesses? I average about 25-30 hours/week at the table.

djb

UTAddb
07-16-2003, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I like my Talisman tips. Depending on my mood (I guess) I have one shaft with the Talisman Pro Medium (most often used) and the other shaft has the Talisman WB Hard.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>
I tried a talisman pro on my regular cue and a hard talisman WB on my b/j cue. Half of the layers just popped off within 2 weeks on the WB, and the pro just didn't beat out the moori, it just doesn't hold chalk well.

griffith_d
07-16-2003, 12:51 PM
I went from LePro(came standard) to Talisman Pro M and now I have Moori M on both my break and playing cue. I have had some minor problems with Talisman(still a good tip for the money), but I have ended up with Moori,...no problems as of yet.

I cannot see paying more for installation than the cost of the tip.

I have also used Tiger tips,...with no complaints.

Griff

Fred Agnir
07-16-2003, 01:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> Fast Larry is the only one I know who would agree with you. He said he purposefully tested a bunch of tips for someone, and came to the conclusion that the best all around tip is this Triangle tip (hard)<hr /></blockquote>Every time someone asks about tips, Triangles above all others are recommended for non-layered tips by people on this board. Please let's not give Larry yet another thing that he can falsely claim to have *taught* us.

Fred

Kato
07-16-2003, 02:07 PM
I played with Triangle for about 6 years and liked that tip very much. Currently I play with Tailsman Pro Medium and really like that tip for feel and playability. My new Omen which is less than a week away will have the Pro Medium on both shafts.

Kato

tateuts
07-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Triangle is the only tip I haven't tried. I like the hit of a Moori medium, but I'm having trouble miscueing on extreme english shots - I have to scruff the tip too often to really get it to grab. I have it shaped perfectly but I don't have confidence that I can put exteme english on the ball unless I scruff it before the shot.

With Elkmasters I can put extreme hits on the ball and I don't miscue, but I don't like the hit - the tip feels mushy, and I have to reshape them continuously.

Maybe I'll give Triangle a shot.

Chris

eg8r
07-16-2003, 03:01 PM
My jump cue has the bunjee tip on it. I have had no problems with the Talisman tips. However, I must be honest...Those tips have been on for about 3 or 4 months and each have about 15 hours playing time on them.

eg8r &lt;~~~Does not play enough pool

Nightstalker
07-16-2003, 03:45 PM
I use a LePro medium which came on the cue, but I plan to switch to a Moori medium soon which I bought from Barringer for $7.50. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shoot2thrill
07-16-2003, 04:00 PM
I use a soft tip .I've got a mediun moori and I hate it.don't get me wrong moori are real good tips but i haven't found one soft enough for me .so i stick with what works best for me .on my jump break cue i have a tip that looks like a tip but is a hard fibre ferrule shaped and painted like a tip .i can jump a ball half a ball away from the cue ball and about half a table away from the cue ball(max)

Ralph S.
07-16-2003, 07:26 PM
I like the WB hard for my breaker and the Taliman medium for my shooters.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-17-2003, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Triangle is the only tip I haven't tried. I like the hit of a Moori medium, but I'm having trouble miscueing on extreme english shots - I have to scruff the tip too often to really get it to grab. I have it shaped perfectly but I don't have confidence that I can put exteme english on the ball unless I scruff it before the shot.

With Elkmasters I can put extreme hits on the ball and I don't miscue, but I don't like the hit - the tip feels mushy, and I have to reshape them continuously.

Maybe I'll give Triangle a shot.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

I've tried all 3 and the Triangle might be a good compromise.

Wally~~likes Triangles, uses Elk Masters

bluewolf
07-17-2003, 06:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> He said he purposefully tested a bunch of tips for someone, and came to the conclusion that the best all around tip is this Triangle tip (hard)<hr /></blockquote>

Every time someone asks about tips, Triangles above all others are recommended for non-layered tips by people on this board. Please let's not give Larry yet another thing that he can falsely claim to have *taught* us.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

FL. I heard on here talking about the triangle being good. I do not know all of the tips, but since then have noticed more folks here recommend this.It is that FL was the first I heard say triangle was good, does not mean that others did not already know this or like this.

As far as the draw striking center, FL made it clear that this was for demonstration purposes only and he made it clear that he did not recommend that I draw that way. Yes, the cue was jacked.

Laura

Fred Agnir
07-17-2003, 07:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> It is that FL was the first I heard say triangle was good, does not mean that others did not already know this or like this.
<hr /></blockquote>People on this board have been recommending Triangles long before Fast Larry ever reared his head in here.

Fred &lt;~~~ and Schulers, too

Kato
07-17-2003, 07:21 AM
[<hr /></blockquote>Fred &lt;~~~ and Schulers, too <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry, never hit a ball with a Schuler, no can recommend.

Fred, I don't know anyone that has a Schuler so I'd appreciate it if you'd show up in Virginia come September so I can hit a couple of balls with it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~has recommend Triangles since they day I first played with one.

bluewolf
07-17-2003, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>People on this board have been recommending Triangles long before Fast Larry ever reared his head in here.

Fred &lt;~~~ and Schulers, too <hr /></blockquote>

I gradually heard about the different tips from the time I got here.There has been so much info here, I had to absorb it gradually and am still absorbing different things, including differnt tips, cues etc.

Btw, what do you think about the schulers now that Ray has passed on and others are making the cues?

I saw before that you liked that cue.I hit with the one FL had and I liked the hit, but it was made prior to Ray's death.

Laura

Fred Agnir
07-17-2003, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Btw, what do you think about the schulers now that Ray has passed on and others are making the cues?
<hr /></blockquote>Ray had a few people in his shop making his cues, so it's not like he was the only one making them. So, I don't expect to see a difference unless someone decides to change Ray's recipe.

I hit with an S.L.C. (Schuler Legacy Cues) in May. It hit just like a Schuler. RIP from LV also hit with the one I was trying out. I think he liked it.

Fred

UTAddb
07-17-2003, 08:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoot2thrill:</font><hr> I use a soft tip .I've got a mediun moori and I hate it.don't get me wrong moori are real good tips but i haven't found one soft enough for me .so i stick with what works best for me .on my jump break cue i have a tip that looks like a tip but is a hard fibre ferrule shaped and painted like a tip .i can jump a ball half a ball away from the cue ball and about half a table away from the cue ball(max) <hr /></blockquote>
Those aren't legal right?

shoot2thrill
07-17-2003, 06:01 PM
the last time i checked they were legal.i mean a jump cue is desidned to jump right?if tourney's start telling people what tip to use.whats next .the color cue you play with or no wrap or 12.5,13mm.etc. you know what i am saying .but nobody's ever told me my jump cue is illegal.but it sure will jump the hell out of a ball.you should try one there awsome!!!

UTAddb
07-17-2003, 06:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoot2thrill:</font><hr> the last time i checked they were legal.i mean a jump cue is desidned to jump right?if tourney's start telling people what tip to use.whats next .the color cue you play with or no wrap or 12.5,13mm.etc. you know what i am saying .but nobody's ever told me my jump cue is illegal.but it sure will jump the hell out of a ball.you should try one there awsome!!! <hr /></blockquote>
I'm not sure, but I thought it has to be leather, and if it's painted to look like one maybe that's why no one has said anything. But damn, jumping from 1/2 a ball away sounds pretty good! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif