PDA

View Full Version : Keith McCready

jungledude51
07-15-2003, 04:58 PM
For those of you who have never had the pleasure of being around Keith in person, I strongly recommend you seek to do so. He is more colorful in real life than he is as "Grady Seasons" in the Color of Money movie. I have played against Keith, have staked Keith, have staked players
against Keith, even had Keith bet on me in one of my sessions, and I assure you he's the most lovable and colorful character in the pool world today. I would love to be the author of "El Diablo, The Keith McCready story" if Keith and Jenny would consider giving me the opportunity.
I am the author of a best selling book, "The Green Felt Jungle" which has sold thousands of books, but would be a pebble compared to a mountain for the McCready book. They claim there are 41 million pool fans , well Keith's story done by someone who understands his lifestyle would sell
more books than any other pool book ever written. Hope and pray I get the opportunity......Humphrey <font color="red"> </font color>

buildertex
07-16-2003, 12:05 AM
give humphrey a chance.he has experience in writing and having published a very entertaining book.i dont believe you could go wrong letting gerald assume control of your book

Rich R.
07-16-2003, 04:21 AM
From the small sampling of writing I have seen here, I don't think Keith needs any help to write his book. I also think it would be better in Keith's own words. JMHO.

Ralph S.
07-16-2003, 07:03 AM
I gotta second that one Rich LOL.

Keith McCready
07-16-2003, 07:29 AM
Well, Humph, I always said you were a man with great taste /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif, and your kind words are appreciated.

We are striving, when time permits, to produce an autobiography of my life. It is a diamond in the rough right now, and I'm hopeful that the finished product will be entertaining not only to the 41 million pool fans out there, but as well to the folks not in our pool subculture, giving them an opportunity to experience and enjoy the sport as much as we do.

Earthquake

Steve Lipsky
07-16-2003, 07:44 AM
Hey Keith, you ever play Bobby Pickle? Tournament or otherwise?

You could sell a tape of that for millions, I would guess. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

- Steve

bolo
07-16-2003, 07:57 AM
I have not seen his book in any bookstores, is it in any? It sounds like he, in effect, sells it from the trunk of his car so to speak. Hawking it on pool forums and the like, is not very professional and I would not think how books are distributed by real book publishers. Keith needs a real pro. Selling a few thousand books is far from a best seller as he calls it. Keith needs to do it right or not at all.

Keith McCready
07-16-2003, 08:05 AM
Yes, I've played the Pickle, and you are right. It was like a circus. In Nashville, we were playing for 4 dimes a set one time, and after the dust settled, I ended up beating him out of 12 long ones. We were both sh*t-faced, cussing each other out as we were playing, but it sure was a lot of fun.

Earthquake

Fred Agnir
07-16-2003, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> Yes, I've played the Pickle, and you are right. It was like a circus. In Nashville, we were playing for 4 dimes a set one time, and after the dust settled, I ended up beating him out of 12 long ones. We were both sh*t-faced, cussing each other out as we were playing, but it sure was a lot of fun.

Earthquake <hr /></blockquote>

Keith, I don't know if you ever read what I wrote last year on Pickle. In case you haven't, click 2002 Pickle Show (http://www.playpool.com/article.php?sid=145)

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2003, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> ...We are striving, when time permits, to produce an autobiography of my life. ....<hr /></blockquote>

One suggestion if I may. You should save the posts you have made here and at AZB in a text file for future reference. You certainly have a treasure trove of stories and that would be a good way to make sure you don't forget to include one.

Wally~~looking forward to "9 on the Richter Scale - The Keith McCready Story"

Keith McCready
07-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know if it is my computer monitor or not, but your picture sure does look an awful lot like Nick Varner.

Earthquake

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2003, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know if it is my computer monitor or not, but your picture sure does look an awful lot like Nick Varner.

Earthquake <hr /></blockquote>

That's not really me. It's just some homeless drunk at www.beerforthehomeless.com (http://www.beerforthehomeless.com) . Nick Varner is from Kentucky. I'm from Hamiltucky (Hamilton OH) I think Durbin is from Middletown which is just up the road from here.

JohnnyP
07-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Bolo:

Ever try running a business? Cut him some slack.

bluewolf
07-16-2003, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> I have not seen his book in any bookstores, is it in any? It sounds like he, in effect, sells it from the trunk of his car so to speak. Hawking it on pool forums and the like, is not very professional and I would not think how books are distributed by real book publishers. Keith needs a real pro. Selling a few thousand books is far from a best seller as he calls it. Keith needs to do it right or not at all. <hr /></blockquote>

It sounded to me that he was pitching his writing ability, in order to be able to write a book about keith,using his book as credentials, rather than trying to sell his already published book per se.

Heck, I can write too, but in literary circles, there are no greater credentials than an already published book which is well written.

OTOH I have gotten some good pool books which were 'vanity published'. Going through a publisher, unless you already have a name can be nightmare. Many good writers have walked away from these 'bonafide' publishers in disgust,fine works lost, because the publisher wanted to 'edit' it so much that it would have ruined the book.

jmho

Laura

Lester
07-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Keith, you were right! I can "feel" the love. Ha Ha Ha
The book idea is really something you should pursue, but your intuition is "right-on", you want it portrayed in a manner that brings in "John-Q-Public". Who knows, if done properly it could be the next pool movie. P.S. I still think "Rounders" about card sharps should have been a pool movie. P.P.S. It was great talking to you and Jen last night. ***Lester***

jungledude51
07-16-2003, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't want a penny for helping Keith get his story out. I would gladly give any monetary gain I make from the book to United Cerebral Palsy. I just wanted to help Keith by making sure he didn't make the same mistakes I made and I know Grady and Buddy Hall made with their books. Anyone who knows me personally knows I posted on the pool boards long before I had a book out, so those who are saying that should reconsider my motives. I simply know Keith has a great story to be told and perhaps some of you are correct, it would be best told in his own words, which is exactly the way I would have told the story. I would dedicate a few months without any compensation whatsoever to make sure that the Keith McCready story is told correctly, and I feel this can only be done by someone who knows the heartaches of the hardest life in the world, that of a pool gambler. Enough said, good luck, Keith, you're a winner and always will be, and I know you will make the right decisions. I know you're close to Harry Plattis, maybe he can offer some good advice. Your friend always, Gerald Huber /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith McCready
07-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Humph, I think you're a winner as well, and our pool world needs folks just like you.

I'm a little green when it comes to this computer, but I am discovering how easily words, printed in black and white, are at times taken in the wrong way. I know your kind offer came from the heart, with my best interests in mind. If I run into some loopholes, I will definitely give you a call, but instead of giving the dough to the UCP, which is a worthy and fine charity, maybe we could create an old folks home for over-the-hill pool players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Earthquake (Hey, I'm a Journeyman. Is that anything like a Road Player?)

pooltchr
07-16-2003, 01:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> maybe we could create an old folks home for over-the-hill pool players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<hr /></blockquote>
I'm ready to sign up for that one! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric.
07-16-2003, 01:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> Earthquake (Hey, I'm a Journeyman. Is that anything like a Road Player?) <hr /></blockquote>

Yes. Dig out a pair of glasses, grow a beard and lets do some road work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric

Kato
07-16-2003, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> maybe we could create an old folks home for over-the-hill pool players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="blue"> </font color> What about a home for "has beens" and "never was"?

Earthquake (Hey, I'm a Journeyman. Is that anything like a Road Player?) <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> </font color> A little like a road player only a little different

jungledude51
07-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Great idea Earthquake. Call me anytime I can help you or Jenny with your project (504) 328-6003 or my cell (504) 442-7079. N. Y. Blackie can be our first customer. Thanks for the kind words, Humphrey

jungledude51
07-16-2003, 02:05 PM
Bolo, I have sold books from the trunk of my car, is there anything wrong with that. My book can be ordered at any Barnes and Noble store or on the internet at http://www.thegreenfeltjungle.com, or by asking me to go to my trunk (lol). Just trying to help Keith get the greatest story about a pool player ever sold. Buddy Hall's book was about religion, Grady's book was xxx rated, want to see Keith's book entire about the extremely tough life of a pool player, which would interest most of us. Thanks for your kind words anyway, and best wishes to you...Gerald Huber

bolo
07-16-2003, 03:37 PM
"Trunk or his car", was meant as a metaphor. He needs the help of someone like Bob Byrne who has been extremely successful in the field. With Byrne on board he would have a great chance of success. Doing things on the cheap is less risky, but usually does not produce results. He needs a plan, some professional help and a willingness to take some risks.

Keith McCready
07-16-2003, 07:57 PM
It was also nice to meet you, Lester. You sure are a straight-shooting son of a gun! Hope to see you in Sterling this weekend.

Earthquake

Ed Wiggins
07-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Keith--

Will you be at Hooker's tournament in Goldsboro, NC?

1-Pocket starts July 29 (Tuesday). Then 9-Ball from Thursday through Sunday. Plenty of action players showed up last year.

C'mon down,

Ed

Keith McCready
07-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Absolutely, I am going to Hooker's tournament in Goldsboro, North Carolina. I have always been fond of the South, and I know with Hooker at the helm, this tournament is going to be run the way a tournament is supposed to be run. Win or lose, I'm going to have a good time, and I hope all of those in attendance enjoy the competition as well as the action.

Earthquake