PDA

View Full Version : Not-so-sneaky pete

Keith Talent
07-15-2003, 10:44 PM
Just got a Falcon sneaky pete from billiardwarehouse and was kind of bummed when I noticed the shaft was clearly lighter than the forearm, giving it a definite two-tone effect at the joint.

I could send it back and ask them to restain the shaft, I guess, but that'll take weeks and entail shipping charges and whatever, and who knows if it'll come back in the same shape it's in now, which seems to be fine.

Maybe I could take it to my PH and they could do it. But I'm wondering if the easiest solution might not be just doing it myself. Anybody here have any experience with that? What are the pitfalls? Not looking for absolute artistic perfection, but would like it to be essentially unnoticeable.

Rod
07-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Keith,

You would have to sand off the clear finish at the bottom of the shaft. Then find a stain that is close and give it a clear coat at the bottom once again. Sounds like a lot of trouble to me, but then its not my cue. LOL In time it will darken just from use and chalk in the wood.

Rod

NH_Steve
07-16-2003, 05:17 AM
All the less expensive sneaky petes are made from separate maple stock for the butt and for the shaft -- not the continuous grain matched stock that might be used by a custom maker to make a truly sneaky pete. I don't know where Falcon falls in cost/quality, but it sounds like they use different wood for butt & shaft, like cheap sneaky petes. With different wood stock, it is very, very difficult to achieve a continuous matching look, as it goes completely against the nature of the material, IMO. Wood grain is like finger prints -- no two alike.

Unless you are a real professional wood touch up mechanic, don't try "staining" yourself to match it -- you're likely to just make a mess of it -- no disrespect intended, it's just very difficult to do. Pros have special 'toning' sprays and 'grain' pens, and finish sprays in all different sheens to try to achieve disguise in repairs -- and it's still difficult.

Steve --> in the cabinet business, not the cue business, but wood is wood

Fred Agnir
07-16-2003, 07:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Just got a Falcon sneaky pete from billiardwarehouse and was kind of bummed when I noticed the shaft was clearly lighter than the forearm, giving it a definite two-tone effect at the joint.
<hr /></blockquote>Maybe I'm slightly confused. What were you expecting? Have you owned other sneaky petes that had matching color?

The shaft will darken with time, I suppose. I wouldn't worry about it. You didn't buy it to fool people, did you?

Fred &lt;~~~ no help

Keith Talent
07-16-2003, 07:03 AM
Rod, Steve ... thanks for the replies. No, I'm definitely no professional, though I've handled a little bit of stain on the odd occasion. And guess it could get ugly messing with the clear coat, as well.

BW, who sells the cues through Cuestix, tells me now that since you've got birdseye maple in the forearm and hard rock in the shaft, you can't get an exact match and shouldn't mess with staining it.

Suppose I can count on sweating and sloppy chalking to blur the line between the shaft and forearm in time.

Fred Agnir
07-16-2003, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Maybe I'm slightly confused. What were you expecting? Have you owned other sneaky petes that had matching color?<hr /></blockquote>Oh, I see now. The Falcon Sneaky Pete has a stained forearm!! Not very sneaky, I suppose. LOL!!! OTOH, the website seems pretty clear about it.

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/falcon/falcon_fal01.htm

Is that the one?

Fred

bolo
07-16-2003, 07:28 AM
Actually the cheap ones are the ones that match. Cues like the Valley SP are cut down house cues and you can almost hide the joint completely till some dirt get in it and becomes visible. The custom cues use a better piece of shaft wood then would be found in just a cue down house cue. I my mind a SP is just an inexpensive cue and not really meant to fool anyone into thinking it is a one piece cue.

UWPoolGod
07-16-2003, 08:17 AM
I was in the same frame of mind when I bought my Tim Scruggs Purpleheart sneaky three threee years ago. When i took it out of the box and screwed it together the woods did not match. It didn't matter to me that much since anyone and their mom can spot a sneaky pete. I just wish that I would have went for the join collar option to make the difference a little less glaring.

Keith Talent
07-16-2003, 02:04 PM
At least I'm not the only one who got a small surprise.

Wasn't looking to fool anyone, just wanted to be low-profile if I feel like shooting in a bar. OK for that, I think, especially after it gets grimed up a bit.

Also auditioning it as a break cue. Think it was Sid who was touting this model for that. Did OK there, but also kind of like the softer hit for shooting ... had a break-and-run with it this afternoon.

UWPoolGod
07-16-2003, 02:35 PM
Had a friend strip all of the finish (shaft and Butt) off of his Kikel sneaky pete. Now the thing is so dirty it does look like a house cue. Can't even see the joint. But still hits just as well.