PDA

View Full Version : APA match format - games running late

CrispyFish
07-16-2003, 07:27 AM
Does anybody else have a problem with the APA's match format, i.e. one match after another? I'm finding that our league nights run very late, to the point where if I don't play first or second, my game will be shot by the time I get to the table. For example, last night during practice, I was playing the best I've ever played, running tables (I'm a SL6)... but three hours later when I played my match, I was so tired that I couldn't make two balls in a row!

Anybody else find the APA match format less than ideal?

bluewolf
07-16-2003, 07:47 AM
Our's runs too late also. Start at 7 and end at 11 to 12 or even 1 am. I think it is supposed to be 4 hours or less, but all of the tables are full, so no way to run two matches concurrently.

Don't you just love those people who walk round and round the table trying to figure out what to do? I am not sure what the time requirements are on each shot, but I take my time on each shot, it seems like I am slow, but yet my captain timed me and said I average 35 seconds or less.

One thing that is kind of a pet peeve of mine is that, at least, in our league, they do not enforce the two minute coaching limit. I have seen coachings go for ten minutes, like it is the end of the world if their player loses LOL

Geez. This is league. It is supposed to be fun, not torture. But good things about apa too.Like seeing my friends /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I griped for so long about how late it went and just in the end accepted it because nobody was doing anything about it.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2003, 08:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CrispyFish:</font><hr> Does anybody else have a problem with the APA's match format, i.e. one match after another?

<font color="blue">Yeah that's a problem. Actually if the 3rd match (or 4th-I can't recall) has not started after 2 hours the teams are supposed to start on an additional table if one is available.</font color>

I'm finding that our league nights run very late, to the point where if I don't play first or second, my game will be shot by the time I get to the table. For example, last night during practice, I was playing the best I've ever played, running tables (I'm a SL6)... but three hours later when I played my match, I was so tired that I couldn't make two balls in a row!

<font color="blue">I have the same problem. Fortunately your opponent is in the same situation so it usually evens out. </font color>

Anybody else find the APA match format less than ideal?

<font color="blue">Everybody knows that the matches take too long. I wish we could just start off on 2 tables from the get-go to speed things up. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Wally~~got home at 12:45 am due to APA Monday

Rich R.
07-16-2003, 08:10 AM
Crispy, I think it is the same problem at most places. The establishment can only devote so many tables to the league. They are losing money on table time. They also make their money by getting you to stay there and eat and drink. Therefore, it is not to their benefit to let you come in and get out quickly.

Two weeks ago, I played the last match of the night and didn't get home until 1:00 am. My alarm goes off at 4:00 am. It was not a good day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SpiderMan
07-16-2003, 08:45 AM
APA is the most annoying format I have ever played, it's only agreeable to folks who like hanging around bars for hours at a time to play one match. But it's also the only opportunity for me to team up with friends who could never qualify for my BCA team.

SpiderMan

bluewolf
07-16-2003, 09:33 AM
In our league, lots of the captains do not teach the players to 'read the table'. Then they walk up all confused, looking at the table and not knowing what shot to take and so for some, it takes them forever to decide.

I figure the timeouts add about an hour to the match, and the slow players,including those playing slow as a sharking maneuver add another hour in some cases.

Just a funny. In my first session of play, I was playing a low sl, who was taking forever on each shot. We had this german guy on our team who does not understand english very well, so some of the subtleties of etiquette he had not quite gotten.

He starts yelling, 'shoot, shoot'!! Luckily our teamates were able to shut him up before the other team heard him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Laura

CrispyFish
07-16-2003, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr><font color="blue">I have the same problem. Fortunately your opponent is in the same situation so it usually evens out. </font color>

Wally~~got home at 12:45 am due to APA Monday<hr /></blockquote>
I dunno... maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like it affects higher ranked players more. Lower-ranked players often hit the balls really hard and hope they'll go in. Fatigue brings finesse players down closer to that level of play. So if a high-ranked player is playing a low-ranked player, the low-ranked player now has a much greater chance of winning, especially since they have to win fewer games.

-CF &lt;~~~ Not trying to disrespect lower-ranked players AT ALL.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2003, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CrispyFish:</font><hr>I dunno... maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like it affects higher ranked players more..... <hr /></blockquote>

I disagree. If you're a higher ranked player you should be used to playing in tournaments where you might have to wait 2 or 3 hours for your next match or play a final or semi-final at 3:00 am

CrispyFish
07-16-2003, 12:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>I disagree. If you're a higher ranked player you should be used to playing in tournaments where you might have to wait 2 or 3 hours for your next match or play a final or semi-final at 3:00 am <hr /></blockquote>
It seems you're making the assumption that higher ranked players have a lot of tournament experience. That's not necessarily true -- they might just have a lot of table time.

Bassn7
07-16-2003, 12:10 PM
Just a few notes from a long time player.
a) The entire 'strategy of the matches' changes if you play more than one match at a time. I play my sequence of shooters based on the score of the match.
b) It's always best to try to find a pool hall for a home bar. That way there can be plenty of practice tables available. (I'm extremely fortunate. The pool hall here gives each pair of teams 3 tables. 1 each for practice and one for the match to be played on.)
c) Although the nights are long and hard when there's only one table, this is a great time to constantly be asking yourself "What would I shoot in this situation?" when watching the other matches.

jjinfla
07-16-2003, 12:14 PM
Switch to 9-ball. Matches start at 7:30 and are usually over by 10:00 or 10:30. Jake

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2003, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CrispyFish:</font><hr> It seems you're making the assumption that higher ranked players have a lot of tournament experience. That's not necessarily true -- they might just have a lot of table time. <hr /></blockquote>

Just stating what I have observed around here.

Almost all of the higher ranked players I know have a lot of tournament experience. Some just play in local cheap tournaments but they can be just as grueling as higher level tournaments.

Many also play long sessions at the pool hall so playing last in an APA match is no big deal.

CrispyFish
07-16-2003, 01:05 PM
I'm sure that many more high-ranked players than low-ranked players have experience with long nights at the pool hall, I'll grant you that. I'm not sure it applies to the APA though, since *all* levels of player end up staying late each week and therefore all have regular experience with it.

bluewolf
07-16-2003, 02:57 PM
I think there is a personal thing here too. We had a sl4 last session who functioned poorly if she could not play first or second. Some people just dont function well late. It is almost that early morning/late night person thing. Nobody wanted to be playing at midnight, but the rest of us seemed to do okay, regardless of the time of match or the sl.

Laura

CrispyFish
07-17-2003, 05:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I think there is a personal thing here too. We had a sl4 last session who functioned poorly if she could not play first or second. Some people just dont function well late. It is almost that early morning/late night person thing. Nobody wanted to be playing at midnight, but the rest of us seemed to do okay, regardless of the time of match or the sl.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>
Yup, that's a great point. I get up at 5:30 am every morning, so playing that late turns my Tuesday nights into weekends!

I may just have to come to terms with the notion that this isn't the right league for me... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif