PDA

View Full Version : ad on your home page

robeyeshua
07-16-2003, 05:00 PM
billiards digest you stink for your crummy ad about the girls on the home page of forum. it looks like the sleeze on some of the other low-down sites. thanks for whoring our sport around and working so hard to enhance the image of pool. my shortcut to your site disappears after this post and if this it what the expo thinks it needs to draw people then i hope they go broke

bolo
07-16-2003, 05:10 PM
I feel the same way, I just did not say it. I am sure we are not alone, in how we feel but in this day and age, the average moral caliber is such, that you will get bad mouthed for saying so. You should address your comments directly to Billiard Digest.

Candyman
07-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Gees, I was really expecting to see something. You really got my expectations up. I saw nothing sleezy at all. Matter of fact, I see women dressed like that at church. She looked a lot better on BD than, let's say Bill Gates. Anyway, we will sure miss you around here. I'm going to Hooters for some hot wangs.
Lock

MarkUrsel
07-16-2003, 07:00 PM
More appropriately, it's "they". The girls in the banner are Bev and Jo Ashton. They are both excellent pool players from Calgary - notably winning the women's team 8-ball at the BCA Vegas tournament among many other titles.

Steve Lipsky
07-16-2003, 08:55 PM
I just want to know if we have to wait until mid-October - when the tournament they are promoting is taking place - to get the damned thing off.

Nothing against the girls, but it's a pretty annoying ad.

- Steve

Tom_In_Cincy
07-16-2003, 09:11 PM
I happen to like that ad, I think it is a very eye catching display.

I don't want anyone thinking I am a :

prude noun.
One who is excessively concerned with being or appearing to be proper, modest, or righteous.

MarkUrsel
07-17-2003, 02:52 AM
No argument there Steve, it is annoying. I guess I'm about as likely to go to the billiards expo or drink Amber Bock as I am likely to go to the Cue U College of Pool and Billiards. I'm enrolling tomorrow. You betcha.

The bad part is that I had to refresh the page a few times just to get those names. Pretty ineffective ads if you don't even notice what they are promoting.

CrispyFish
07-17-2003, 06:52 AM
Did they pull the ad? The front page looks pretty tame to me, even after hitting F5 a few dozen times...

CrispyFish
07-17-2003, 07:32 AM
Okay, never mind, I see it now. Yeah, it's pretty trashy. Not saying the women in question are trashy, but using beer and women to sell pool is. On the other hand, it's not exactly uncommon... have a look at the APA ads sometime... they put this one to shame!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-17-2003, 07:42 AM
Geez lighten up you guys. If the Ashton twins did not want to show off their assets they would never have posed for the picture. Ever heard of Jeanette Lee?

more Ashton:

http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/showpicture.cfm?eventnum=39&photographernum=1&picn um=2060

CrispyFish
07-17-2003, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Geez lighten up you guys. If the Ashton twins did not want to show off their assets they would never have posed for the picture. Ever heard of Jeanette Lee?

more Ashton:

http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/showpicture.cfm?eventnum=39&amp;photographernum=1&amp;picn um=2060 <hr /></blockquote>
I don't think anybody's saying the women were exploited against their will.

Rod
07-17-2003, 09:24 AM
Somehow I don't see this add that is so questionable. Is it on the home page of BD? I don't see nutin.

pooltchr
07-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Get real!
Some of the things I have seen in the local pool halls make this add look like a promo for a church social. (Ever seen a 200 pound guy wearing no belt and pants 6 sizes too big bend over for that long cut shot? Now THAT'S disgusting!

Wally_in_Cincy
07-17-2003, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Somehow I don't see this add that is so questionable. Is it on the home page of BD? I don't see nutin. <hr /></blockquote>

It's a banner at the top of the page above "DISCUSSION FORUM"

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/phpAdsNew/adview.php?bannerID=14

CrispyFish
07-17-2003, 11:24 AM
On the other hand, sex is used to sell pretty much everything else... cars, TV, video games... maybe this is a good sign that pool is approaching the mainstream!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
07-17-2003, 11:41 AM
I don't get it. Whats all the controversy about a banner or the web page? Whats wrong with, playing with the girls? What someone doesn't like girls? The web page is ok with info and sponsors. Someone doesn't like sponsors? To tell you the truth I never even noticed the banner until now. Pretty observant of me huh! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh, one last thing, I have animation turned off so I don't have to see the cue - guy with his short punchy stroke. LOL

Rod

CrispyFish
07-17-2003, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I don't get it. Whats all the controversy about a banner or the web page? Whats wrong with, playing with the girls? What someone doesn't like girls? The web page is ok with info and sponsors. Someone doesn't like sponsors? To tell you the truth I never even noticed the banner until now. Pretty observant of me huh! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh, one last thing, I have animation turned off so I don't have to see the cue - guy with his short punchy stroke. LOL

Rod <hr /></blockquote>
If you have animated gifs disabled, you're likely not seeing the part of the ad that people have a problem with.

To clarify my earlier statement a bit, I don't have a problem with the nature of the ad itself; I just think it's sad how much sex appears to be the dominant theme in advertising... if it doesn't promise to get you laid, people just won't buy it!

"Advertising will in the future become more and more intelligent in ton. It will seek to influence demand by argument instead of clamor.... Cheap attention-calling tricks wil be wholly replaced, as they are already being replaced, by serious expression."

-T. Baron Russell, in A Hundred Years Hence, 1905

Rod
07-17-2003, 12:09 PM
I turned animation back on just to check it out. That guy still has a punchy stroke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-17-2003, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I turned animation back on just to check it out. That guy still has a punchy stroke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

BTW-what's he playing? Bumper pool?

Wally~~always wondered that /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
07-17-2003, 04:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Oh, one last thing, I have animation turned off so I don't have to see the cue - guy with his short punchy stroke. LOL

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Rod!

You're going to tell me how to do that, right?

Barbara~~~thinks Rod owes her one... maybe... Barbara's burnt... just came back from a 3 hour sail... owwww....

Rod
07-17-2003, 04:33 PM
Barbara,

I owe everything to you, you can even have my first born! Well in another life. I didn't have any in this one, your safe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On IE go to tools, advanced, scroll down a little over half way, uncheck the box, play animations, hit Apply &gt; OK.
No more of those little moving annoying objects that some web sites obviously think are cute. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

Barbara
07-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Okay Rod!! You da MAN!

Next time I'm in Las Vegas we hook up!!

Barbara~~~uh huh uh huh!

Howser
07-17-2003, 08:40 PM
I can't think of two better people to promote Billiards, Amber Bock, and The Mid West Classic than Beverley and Joanne Ashton. These are two unique, classy, and very rare women. And more notable, present VNEA World Champions???? Congratulations girls, you deserve POSITIVE recognition. (Is the photo causing all the controversy the same one taken by Dianne Hoppe for the feature article on "The Twins" in Billiards Digest, October 2001?)

new to the game
07-17-2003, 09:05 PM
Not really understanding what all the fuss is about....fave team in our league is called "nice rack". Met the Ashton Twins in Las Vegas and was impressed with their honesty and genuine love for the sport. Have to disagree with your harsh language robeyeshua..............The Girls Got Game! Good Luck Joanne and Bev, great catch Amber Bock!

SPetty
07-18-2003, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>Next time I'm in Las Vegas we hook up!!<hr /></blockquote>Uh uh... Rod doesn't do Vegas... No amount of begging, pleading, coercing, ridiculing or guilting gets Rod to Vegas.

Of course, if this changes, you're behind me, girl!

Fred Agnir
07-18-2003, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote robeyeshua:</font><hr> billiards digest you stink for your crummy ad about the girls on the home page of forum. it looks like the sleeze on some of the other low-down sites. thanks for whoring our sport around and working so hard to enhance the image of pool. my shortcut to your site disappears after this post and if this it what the expo thinks it needs to draw people then i hope they go broke <hr /></blockquote> This is actually the first time I opened this thread. I had no idea what it was about. I thought you were wanting to put an ad on my homepage.

Maybe it's the fact that many of us know who the Ashton Twins are. I thought it was funny the first time I saw it.

Fred

Barbara
07-18-2003, 03:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>Next time I'm in Las Vegas we hook up!!<hr /></blockquote>Uh uh... Rod doesn't do Vegas... No amount of begging, pleading, coercing, ridiculing or guilting gets Rod to Vegas.

Of course, if this changes, you're behind me, girl! <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, but I've got the NUTS!! Plus, all those "sleeper agents" of mine out there to help!!

Barbara~~~heh heh heh... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bolo
07-18-2003, 03:41 PM
Who are they?

TheChump
07-18-2003, 04:49 PM
What a freaking hipocrite! One of the best pool/beer related ad in decades and you have to blast BD for it. You must have lost your good taste! I would try Amber Rock just for the heck of it, and would definitely like to play with the girls!

eg8r
07-19-2003, 12:50 AM
While I disagree with his post, would you please explain where he was being a hypocrite...

eg8r