View Full Version : Special eye glasses frames for billiards players?

04-01-2002, 10:21 PM
I see alot of players that always wear glasses, take them off in the middle of a game sometimes. Seems they're interfering with their vision instead of helping.
I've been told that a special type of eye glasses frame is available for pool players. Do they tilt or something like that? Where are they available? I have that problem sometimes and wear progressive lenses on standard frames.
I Thank you all...

04-01-2002, 11:46 PM
They're called shooting glasses. Originally designed for trap and skeet shooting.Check them out at...


Over-sized lenses with an adjustable bridge. Best money that I've ever spent on my pool game. I just mailed them my prescription and they sent the glasses to me. Approx. cost was around $225. Hope this helps.Steve

04-01-2002, 11:59 PM
Someone may give you an exact address or company. I did see them originally at a shooter's (guns) web site. Where I'm at a number of eye centers that work with sports vision sell them. Do a search on google for eye frames etc, I'm sure you will find them.

04-02-2002, 12:03 AM
I went to my eye doctor and told him that I wanted a prescription for glasses that would enable me to see best from 2 ft to about 15 ft.

After testing and writing the proper lens prescription he showed me frames for shooters, trap and skeet shooters that normally have the top bar higher on the forehead. He then had me bend down and assume my normal shooting position and then he adjusted the frames by bending the nose pad wires down which caused the frames to ride even higher.

Then he wrote the lens presciption in such a way that the center of vision in the frames was higher than normal.

They work great for pool. Can't read a word with them but I don't care. I never know they are there, never see the top of the frames. I wear them with an elastic strap around my head so they don't slip if/when I sweat. I don't think they cose anywhere near the $225 quoted below.

04-02-2002, 09:55 PM
There are glasses made on the West coast of Florida for playing pool. They have I think a second hinge to adjust them in front of the eye when you are down on the ball. The guy that makes them used to post here, but got heat from people for posting ad's. Ray Martin wears them and I am sure his friend Jay M. can tell you where to get them.

Jay M
04-02-2002, 10:30 PM
I know that the ones that Ray used to wear are the ones sold by Sam Gibson. Lately Ray has gone to some specially designed contact lenses that seem to be working for him. I'll ask him where he got them the next time I see him.

Jay M