PDA

View Full Version : Unified Tour System - UPDATE

MikeJanis
07-17-2003, 12:04 AM
I just want to give everyone interested the heads-up, in the new venture about the Unified Tour Sysyem. This system is partially up and running. I have talked with many of the other regional tour operators and most have already comitted to becoming involved, some are still in the desision process.

One of our first steps on the Unified tour System will be to implement 1 set of rules for all regional tours. In addition to this 1st big step we have already started to lay the groundwork to produce at least one of the Unified Tour events for television. And already have some inside industry sponsors bidding for there sponsorship role in the new system.

This new Unified Tour System will work for the benefit of our sport and with future luck will be the foundation for a much larger and needed tournament structure here in the US.

As far as each individual regional tour is concerned it will be business as usual. All of the regional structures will operate independantly from each other under the umbrella fornat of the Unified Tour System. So no major structural changes in each individual tour need to be made.

As a player you will enjoy many additional benefites by playing in the regional tour in your area. The Unified Tour System will qualify a particular number of players from each associated regional tour that will be eligible to play in the Unified Tour Systems events. And only players that qualify through the associated individual regional tours will be eligible to participate in the Unified Tour Systems events (NO EXCEPTIONS).

That's the HEADS-UP. Sorry' I can't go into specific details at this time but all the information that I can provide will be available in a "PRESS RELEASE" that will be going out soon. Please look for it on every Forum, NG and Magazine.

Also, I would like to thank everyone that has sent in there ideas to me. They have all been read.

For now in leu of a major sponsors name this entity will be known as "The Unified Tour System" or "UTS".

Ps. please post all + comments in this forum. Recycle the rest

Respectfully,

Mike Janiss
President/Founder - The Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour
Board Member - The "UTS"

Ralph S.
07-17-2003, 12:11 AM
Sounds great Mike and I hope it goes well. In fact, maybe ole CW might wanna pay attention and see what civility brings instead of the my way or highway attitude.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-17-2003, 06:37 AM
Good job Mike and ditto what Ralph said re: CW

pooltchr
07-17-2003, 06:46 AM
Mike,
You probably should get nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for getting that many tour operators to agree on ANYTHING! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Best of luck to you. Who knows, this might turn out to be what the pool world has been looking for...a coordinated national tour. What a novel idea!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Steve

Barbara
07-17-2003, 08:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeJanis:</font><hr> I just want to give everyone interested the heads-up, in the new venture about the Unified Tour Sysyem. This system is partially up and running. I have talked with many of the other regional tour operators and most have already comitted to becoming involved, some are still in the desision process.

One of our first steps on the Unified tour System will be to implement 1 set of rules for all regional tours. In addition to this 1st big step we have already started to lay the groundwork to produce at least one of the Unified Tour events for television. And already have some inside industry sponsors bidding for there sponsorship role in the new system.

This new Unified Tour System will work for the benefit of our sport and with future luck will be the foundation for a much larger and needed tournament structure here in the US.

As far as each individual regional tour is concerned it will be business as usual. All of the regional structures will operate independantly from each other under the umbrella fornat of the Unified Tour System. So no major structural changes in each individual tour need to be made.

As a player you will enjoy many additional benefites by playing in the regional tour in your area. The Unified Tour System will qualify a particular number of players from each associated regional tour that will be eligible to play in the Unified Tour Systems events. And only players that qualify through the associated individual regional tours will be eligible to participate in the Unified Tour Systems events (NO EXCEPTIONS).

That's the HEADS-UP. Sorry' I can't go into specific details at this time but all the information that I can provide will be available in a "PRESS RELEASE" that will be going out soon. Please look for it on every Forum, NG and Magazine.

Also, I would like to thank everyone that has sent in there ideas to me. They have all been read.

For now in leu of a major sponsors name this entity will be known as "The Unified Tour System" or "UTS".

Ps. please post all + comments in this forum. Recycle the rest

Respectfully,

Mike Janiss
President/Founder - The Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour
Board Member - The "UTS"

<hr /></blockquote>

Which Regional Tours? I was never contacted.

Oh, you must be talking about the men's Regional Tours.

Barbara

MikeJanis
07-17-2003, 08:56 AM
Barbara, sorry I missed you. The womens tour are not excluded from the UTS. Here's a snip of a post that I put on AZbilliards forum:

"Ps. I invite any tour promoters that I have not already contacted to please call me and discuss your possible involvement with the UTS. Especially the regional womens tours that are not involved with the WPBA. Not that we don't want to deal with the WPBA, it's just that they already have a great system in place and we don't want to interfere with that. They (WPBA) are doing a great job and I wish them continued success!

Mj
1-800-200-POOL (7665)"

Please contact me at the above phone # if we can do smething together or just call and talk to me with any ideas.

Mj

Barbara
07-17-2003, 09:22 AM
Mike,

I was just busting on ya. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, there are no Women's Regional Tours that I know of that are not associated (read: sanctioned) by the WPBA.

I wish you the best in your endeavors in uniting the regional tours. You just might get a few women semi-pros showing up, too.

Barbara

MikeJanis
07-17-2003, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Mike,

I was just busting on ya. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, there are no Women's Regional Tours that I know of that are not associated (read: sanctioned) by the WPBA.

I wish you the best in your endeavors in uniting the regional tours. You just might get a few women semi-pros showing up, too.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara, they are invited to come and play for free... Read my post under the heading Viking Tour "Press Release"

See'ya soon I hope.

Mj

tateuts
07-17-2003, 10:15 AM
Mike,

Do I get credit for coining the name in my post of June 22 and "Unified 9 Ball Tour" logo a week later, or did someone beat me to it?

Chris
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=85795&amp;Forum=Cat Search-1&amp;Words=unified&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=0 &amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=3months&amp;Main=85740&amp;Search=true#Post8 5795

And...
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=87363&amp;Forum=ccb &amp;Words=MikeJanis&amp;Match=Username&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit =25&amp;Old=3months&amp;Main=87363&amp;Search=true#Post87363

MikeJanis
07-17-2003, 06:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Mike,

Do I get credit for coining the name in my post of June 22 and "Unified 9 Ball Tour" logo a week later, or did someone beat me to it?

Chris
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=85795&amp;Forum=Cat Search-1&amp;Words=unified&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=0 &amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=3months&amp;Main=85740&amp;Search=true#Post8 5795

And...
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=87363&amp;Forum=ccb &amp;Words=MikeJanis&amp;Match=Username&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit =25&amp;Old=3months&amp;Main=87363&amp;Search=true#Post87363

<hr /></blockquote>

I don't believe anyone actually came up with the exact phrase "UTS" Unified Tour System. It was more like a compilation of ideas. But as I stated in my original post (re-posted below), you can take some credit by the good feeling you'll get everytime you see that name in print.

You also get, a big pat on the back from me for your efforts in contributing to the overall success of this new idea.

Sincerely,

Mike Janis

RE-POST "So here's where you come in. You create the name. I'm not offering any mooola or prizes for this one, just bragging rights and the good felling that you'll get every time you see that name in print."

Ken
07-17-2003, 08:08 PM
You can't start an acronym with a vowel. Do we say an UTS event or a UTS event. This will never fly. I suggest the National Unified Tour System. Much better. NUTS, it's already a pool term. No payment required; free entry for life would be appreciated.
KenCT

tateuts
07-18-2003, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeJanis:</font><hr>

You also get, a big pat on the back from me for your efforts in contributing to the overall success of this new idea.

Sincerely,

Mike Janis

<hr /></blockquote>

Mike,

That's all I wanted, acknowledgement for coming up with the Unified name.

<font color="red"> - U N I F I E D - </font color>

Sounds right!

Chris

tateuts
07-18-2003, 09:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> You can't start an acronym with a vowel. Do we say an UTS event or a UTS event. This will never fly. I suggest the National Unified Tour System. Much better. NUTS, it's already a pool term. No payment required; free entry for life would be appreciated.
KenCT <hr /></blockquote>

Ken,

Too late, I already collected the no-prize.

Chris

heater451
07-18-2003, 08:18 PM
I know that's a joke--very funny one, BTW--but I think you can have an acronym start with a vowel. However "UTS" is not an acronym, because it doesn't form a word (at least, not one that I've heard). It's an initialism.

=====================

Ken
07-18-2003, 08:32 PM
OK, that's another good reason why we should not use UTS. I don't think it will ever catch on enough to become a word. However, "nuts" is already a word so there is no need to wait until it is around long enough to be considered a word such as "radar" now is.

There seems to be a groundswell of opposition to "UTS". NUTS it is.
KenCT

MikeJanis
07-18-2003, 10:26 PM
Sorry folks, It can't be NUTS. The reason...
We don't want to limit ourselves. It is quite possible that this will grow into something IterNational. At that time we will consider the word INUTS. Just like many players I wont bet until I get the nuts.

Darn, INUTS is already taken see: The java nuts group of Birla Horizons International.

Or maybe it could be International Areas Massive Nostalgic Unified Tour System or IAMNUTS

Rsepectfully yours,

Mike Janis

jjinfla
07-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Curious as to how many players you will allow to join the UTS? How many regional tournaments will participate in qualifying a person for the UTS? Once a person is accepted by the UTS how does that person maintain their ranking within the UTS? Since the UPA does not have a tour does that mean that the UPA ranking system would not qualify a player for the UTS? I hope you have an ample supply of Maalox Mike. Jake

MikeJanis
07-19-2003, 12:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Curious as to how many players you will allow to join the UTS? How many regional tournaments will participate in qualifying a person for the UTS? Once a person is accepted by the UTS how does that person maintain their ranking within the UTS? Since the UPA does not have a tour does that mean that the UPA ranking system would not qualify a player for the UTS? I hope you have an ample supply of Maalox Mike. Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake let me start by saying, nothing has been finalized by the UTS board. We will be voting an many of the issues you mentioned. After the voting system I will be able to give everyone more information. Patience please. However I can give you my thoughts/ideas on how I think some of your questions will work on the UTS. Here they are:

I hope we don't have any limits on the # of players that can be involved. My goals have always tried to include everyone posible.

As far as the # of regional events is concerned, so far my #'s estimate about 120 on the low end and about 180 on the high end. It is also very possible to reach 300 events in the near future. My estimates represent te starting #r's.

Again, while nothing has been finalized on how players will qualify for the UTS (it's up for a vote in the UTS). My suggestion to UTS board is this:
The top 8 players from every included regional tour event will automatically qualify to play in UTS events. Players will need to attend the next UTS event after they have qualified to be eligible to compete in the following UTS event. If they do not show for that 1st UTS event they need to re-qualify through the regional tour system. Also, only the top 1/2 of the field in that 1st UTS event will
qualify for the following UTS event and must be in atendance and stay in the top 1/2 to keep there qualification for the following UTS event. The players that don't qualify in the top 1/2 will be sent back to re-qualify if they want to play in the next UTS event.
Again, that's just an idea of how it would work. I'm sure it could be improved upon by our board. We are working diligently on alaspects of the UTS.

And regarding the UPA, you are correct in your assumption.

Also, I just bought a gallon of Pepto and a tup of Tums. I should be ok for a little while.

Thanks,

Mj

heater451
07-19-2003, 08:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> . . .NUTS it is.
KenCT <hr /></blockquote>Would the NUTS tour have additional rules for scratching? (ouch)

======================