PDA

View Full Version : It's Earl again!

ted harris
07-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Wish we had more USA players in the final 16, but Rodney Morris, Danny Harriman, Max Eberle, and Teddy Garrahan all got beat today. Congrats to these players for an excellent showing!

Looks like it's up to Earl to bring it home yet again!
Good luck Earl! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Harold Acosta
07-17-2003, 08:55 PM
Oh, boy! I have mixed feelings! Two of the greatest 9 ball players in the Earth still alive! Efren and Earl. Who will make it to the finals? Only one of them has a chance, according to the schedules....

Table 1

2.00pm
Efren Reyes (Phi) v Francisco Bustamante (Phi)
Alex Lely (Hol) v Sin-Young Park (Kor)

7.00pm
Tony Drago (Mal) v Young-Hwa Jeong (Kor)
Earl Strickland (USA) v Steve Davis (Eng)

Table 2

2.00pm
Mika Immonen (Fin) v Ching-Shun Yang (Tpe)
Ramil Gallego (Phi) v Alex Pagulayan (Can)

7.00pm
Thorsten Hohmann (Ger) v Luc Salvas (Can)
Marcus Chamat (Swe) v Hui-Kai Hsia (Tpe)

Keith McCready
07-18-2003, 05:51 AM
Keep it going, Earl. Keep it going!

Earthquake

Qtec
07-18-2003, 06:24 AM
Did you see him use his 'finger extentions'. If thats allowed then you should just throw away the rule book and make it a free -for-all!

Come Steve, kick his ass. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Qtec

Wally_in_Cincy
07-18-2003, 07:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Did you see him use his 'finger extentions'. If thats allowed then you should just throw away the rule book and make it a free -for-all!

Come Steve, kick his ass. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Qtec <hr /></blockquote>

Not sure what you are talking about.

Do have a link to a pic?

jjinfla
07-18-2003, 07:20 AM
Earl is the man! Has to be everybody's top vote for HOF this year. Hope he gets by Davis and Buste. Will need to play above the acustats .925 level to do it because I am sure they will be at that level too. May the rolls go with him. Jake

mickey2
07-18-2003, 07:24 AM
You can see a close up at http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/images/EarlStricklandDay5a.jpg
Earl and his magic tool in nearly full view http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/images/EarlStricklandDay5b.jpg

I would agree with qtec that it is not allowed, but personally I would like to see it allowed.

bluewolf
07-18-2003, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Earl is the man! Has to be everybody's top vote for HOF this year. Hope he gets by Davis and Buste. Will need to play above the acustats .925 level to do it because I am sure they will be at that level too. May the rolls go with him. Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Kind of off topic, but I saw keith in that accustat match where he ran 5 racks in a row. He ended up at .937.

bw

Ralph S.
07-18-2003, 07:39 AM
Go Earl Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbara
07-18-2003, 07:52 AM
That link's not working for me. Anyone else?

Barbara

RedHell
07-18-2003, 07:53 AM
The server is down... no response here either ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ken
07-18-2003, 08:33 AM
The links are working now. Leave it to Earl He's a true genius. I don't see why those should be illegal. They let you put one bridge on top of another, don't they? The extensions are just another mechanical bridge.
KenCT

bolo
07-18-2003, 08:51 AM
What was he trying to do? I can't tell from the picture.

9 Ball Girl
07-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Go Earl Go!!!!!!!

Wendy~~~One Time Earl, Just One Time!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pooljunkie73
07-18-2003, 09:12 AM
go Alex go /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ted harris
07-18-2003, 10:17 AM
He uses the extensions to form a bridge over other balls, or to get the height needed to jump over balls. In that instance, he was jumping a ball.

Nostroke
07-18-2003, 10:26 AM
Friday afternoon update- Busta beats Efren, Yang beats Mika,ALEX beats Gallego- the rest have not been played as of yet.

Qtec
07-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Yes. He cheated. These finger extensions are not part of the table and they have nothing to do with pool.

One foot always has to touch the floor , yeah. What if I changed my shoes and put on a long pair of flippers. I could lie on the table , to get to an unreachable ball and because of my new shoes I could still touch the ground .

Should I now patent these wonder shoes or are the pool feds going to get a uniform rule book.

Go Steve , kick some ass. Send the cheat home.

Qtec

PS.... Earl , as I remember was the guy that 'sharked'the opponent into using his normal cue instead of his jump cue.

Keith McCready
07-18-2003, 10:42 AM
Can't forget Alex, my little small fry. Keep it going, Alex!

pooltchr
07-18-2003, 10:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Yes. He cheated. These finger extensions are not part of the table and they have nothing to do with pool.
<hr /></blockquote>
I don't see much difference here from using a bridge or other mechanical device to assist in making a legal shot. Is this specifically addressed in the rules anywhere???

UWPoolGod
07-18-2003, 10:50 AM
Any number of items that help out a person on the pool table could qualify as something that should not be used. I think that his finger extensions were just not patented and available to the everyday schmo. (Nice medical tape on those ones LOL). Pretty inventive if you ask me.

As far as the shoes thing goes I think it should be fine. I see any number of women walking around in shoes with 6 inch soles on their shoes. Not high-heels...6 inch thick flat bottoms to shoes. What is to stop a man who is 6'6" from doing the same to get a that much extra reach. I doubt they make those particular shoes for someone who more than likely wears a size 16+. But still, pretty inventive.

Todd &lt;--- wants all 10 fingers with Earls extensions so he can look like edward scissorhands.

ted harris
07-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Matchroom didn't think he was cheating, because they allowed it.
Since they are responsible for determining if a foul has been committed and/or a violation of the rules has been committed, doesn't much matter what you think, now does it?

Qtec
07-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Havent you ever heard of the saying ,"its against the spirit of the rules?

It should be 'mano e mano' with their cues .No technology . If the equipment provided with the table isnt enough , then too bad.

IMO

Qtec

Ken
07-18-2003, 11:06 AM
The rule says "Foot attire must be normal in regard to size, shape and manner in which it is worn."

There is no requirement that the fingers touch the table. There is no restriction on finger length just as there is no restriction on cue length. Cue extenders are legal therefore finger extenders should be legal. There need be no rule to address the matter since they are both now legal.

"the spirit of the rules"? If one does not know the rules how can one comment on their "spirit".
KenCT

UWPoolGod
07-18-2003, 11:23 AM
I guess the word "normal" would have to be disputed. If it is normal to me that I wear those size shoes than they would be discriminating.

I wonder what would happen if someone that had both legs amputated and had artificial legs with hydrolics put in that he could lenghten or shorten the length...they would have to put in something in the rules for that as well.

cycopath
07-18-2003, 11:55 AM
Inspector Gadget?

Qtec
07-18-2003, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no restriction on finger length just as there is no restriction on cue length. <hr /></blockquote>

Do you know how ridiculous this sounds?

[ QUOTE ]
"the spirit of the rules"? If one does not know the rules how can one comment on their "spirit <hr /></blockquote>

If one does not understand the meaning of the 'spirit of the game 'then one is not qualified to comment on something that one obviously does not understand.

Q

mickey2
07-18-2003, 01:53 PM
You just have to take a look at the rules of the BCA
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml

USE OF EQUIPMENT
Players may not use equipment or accessory items for purposes or in a manner other than those for which the items were intended (refer to rules 3.42 and 3.43). For example, powder containers, chalk cubes, etc., may not be used to prop up a mechanical bridge (or natural hand bridge); no more than two mechanical bridges may be used at one time, nor may they be used to support anything other than the cue shaft. Extra or out-of-play balls may not be used by players to check clearance or for any other reason (except to lag for break); the triangle may be employed to ascertain whether a ball is in the rack when a match is unofficiated and the table has not been pencil marked around the triangle area

EQUIPMENT RESTRICTIONS
Players may use chalk, powder, mechanical bridge(s) and cue(s) of their choice or design [SIC!]. However, tournament officials may restrict a player if he attempts action that is disruptive of either the house equipment or normal competitive conditions. As examples, a player may: be restrained from using red chalk on green cloth; be advised not to use powder in such an excessive fashion as to unduly affect the balls or table cloth; and be barred from using a cue with a noise-making device that is clearly disruptive to other competitors. (Also see Rule 2.15)

INAPPROPRIATE USE OF EQUIPMENT
The referee should be alert for a player using equipment or accessory items for purposes or in a manner other than those for which they were intended, or for the use of illegal equipment, as defined under “equipment specification”. Generally no penalty is applied. However, should a player persist in such activity or use of such equipment, after having been advised that such activity or use is not permissible, the referee or other tournament official may take action as appropriate under the provisions of “Unsportsmanlike Conduct” (Also see Rule 1.3 and Rule 1.4)

Still we could agree that it would be fine if it would be not forbidden.

Eric.
07-18-2003, 02:02 PM
Hiya Dave,

I think this is the 4th year in a row that Ching-Shun Yang has made it into the final 8 or better! If I remember right(and my numbers have been off!) all this guy did was run packages last year. Didn't he put an 8 on Archer? It took Busta running something like a 5 pack to beat him to go to the finals! Looks like he can play a little.

Eric

Ken
07-18-2003, 02:03 PM
Who said anything about the "spirit of the game"? If you can't remember what you said in your own post then go back and read it again. Don't let the facts interfere with any of your opinions. You might just end up with no opinions.
KenCT

bolo
07-18-2003, 02:09 PM
Does seem funny, since he is against any help from a jump cue. You know, I saw the exact thing some years ago used by Pat Fleming. Remember the gizmo Pat had to keep the shaft down on rail shots and the rail pad. I once saw a guy place the bridge on the table and put his hand on top of the bridge to raise his hand to shoot over obstructing balls.

RedHell
07-18-2003, 02:11 PM
"...and be barred from using a cue with a noise-making device that is clearly disruptive to other competitors."

OK, LMAO, help me on this one. Are they trying to forbid cues with Hi-Fi sound system on it ????

What the heck is a noise-making device on a cue ???

This one is funny !!!

For sale on e-bay: "AM-FM CD/DVD/MPEG Custom Cue"

Fran Crimi
07-18-2003, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ted harris:</font><hr> Matchroom didn't think he was cheating, because they allowed it.
Since they are responsible for determining if a foul has been committed and/or a violation of the rules has been committed, doesn't much matter what you think, now does it? <hr /></blockquote>

My guess is they allowed it because there wasn't any specific rule that would have disallowed it, but I bet that they will review it in depth after the tournament and make a more informed decision for future events.

I think they'll eventually disallow it. Maybe something like, if you're within arm's length of the shot, you should be using a natural hand bridge.

It reminds me of the jump cue situation. Players were jumping in pro events with jump rods and shafts in the beginning, but shortly after, jump cue specs were written into the rules which put an end to all that.

Fran

RedHell
07-18-2003, 02:15 PM
I thought the rules were "frozen" for a specific amount of years since they unified them ???

Fran Crimi
07-18-2003, 02:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> I thought the rules were "frozen" for a specific amount of years since they unified them ??? <hr /></blockquote>

Really? I didn't know that. Well, I guess they'll have to wait until the next committee meeting or call an emergency one. LOL!

Fran

RedHell
07-18-2003, 02:24 PM
Well, that came up on RSB while I was discussing a certain push shot and I quote Ron Sheppard:

"The reason for this is that the BCA rule changes must be consistent
with WPA rule changes, the BCA is no longer completely independent.
Furthermore, the rules are "frozen" for several years at a time in
order to maintain consistency, then all of the backlogged rule
changes are applied in a single year.

There is currently no BCA rules committee. It was disbanded two or
three years ago as the BCA was starting it referee certification
program. The intention at the time, I think, was for the referees
to provide the impetus for rules changes. However, this process was
never formalised either, so at the present, there is no specified
way for any rules changes to be presented, argued, voted, or
approved by the BCA."

cycopath
07-18-2003, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> "...and be barred from using a cue with a noise-making device that is clearly disruptive to other competitors."

OK, LMAO, help me on this one. Are they trying to forbid cues with Hi-Fi sound system on it ????

This one is funny !!!

For sale on e-bay: "AM-FM CD/DVD/MPEG Custom Cue" <hr /></blockquote>Hey man, can you turn the volume down on your cue, I'm trying to shoot here.

RedHell
07-18-2003, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> "...and be barred from using a cue with a noise-making device that is clearly disruptive to other competitors."

This one is funny !!!

For sale on e-bay: "AM-FM CD/DVD/MPEG Custom Cue" <hr /></blockquote>Hey man, can you turn the volume down on your cue, I'm trying to shoot here. <hr /></blockquote>

It's not mine it's Jimmy's he just got the sub-woofer option added to his !!!

SPetty
07-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Have you ever seen one of these? It's a little plastic device that you can hold however you want. They say it's legal for tournament play...

finger bridge at Mueller's (http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm?sku=FB70-S)

mickey2
07-19-2003, 01:42 AM
&gt;noise-making device on a cue&lt;

As far as I know this rule came into existence because some players attached a ell or something similar at the end of their cue.

IMO there are at least three passages which give a strong indication that Earls trick was not allowed.

“Players may not use equipment or accessory items for purposes or in a manner other than those for which the items were intended (refer to rules 3.42 and 3.43). For example, powder containers, chalk cubes, etc., may not be used to prop up a mechanical bridge (or natural hand bridge);”

“Players may use chalk, powder, mechanical bridge(s) and cue(s) of their choice or design.”

“The referee should be alert for a player using equipment or accessory items for purposes or in a manner other than those for which they were intended, or for the use of illegal equipment, as defined under “equipment specification”.”

One has to keep in mind that it must not be written clearly in the rules to be forbidden. There is the concept of teleologic interpretation, applied on the specific situation I would say it was not correct.
Nevertheless I am very happy that Earl is still in the tournament!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif