PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rican Players without their luggage and cues...

Harold Acosta
07-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Two articles found concerning the lost luggage of our Players. Our Federation struggled to take our people to Cardiff (we found no sponsorship whatsoever from 50 Billiards related contacts with only 6 company replies) and we had gotten them Polo Shirts with their names and the Puerto Rico logo on their backs for the World to see. Their cues were also very dear to them since obviously they are their tools of the trade. Too bad they had to play with other peoples cues and clothing. We can only imagine how these players felt with this obvious inconvenience...

Anyway, at least by the latest account, their luggage was found and Jason and Alan got them (luggage and cues) on the last qualifying day. They didn't make it to the last 64 Players in Cardiff but I have high hopes for these two players in the near future...

Here's the story lines on our players....

---------------------------------------------------------
JULY 13
Cruz Case-less In Cardiff

Puerto Rican Jason Cruz was case-less in Cardiff as Dutch airline KLM contrived to lose his luggage on the last leg of his flight from Amsterdam to Cardiff.

That was on Thursday and by Sunday his kit had yet to arrive. The hapless Cruz has been forced to borrow cues and clothing from big hearted colleagues but is fuming at the airline's service.

Clive Cox, Matchroom's man in the pool village blasted, "KLM are a disgrace. They have given me twelve different phone numbers and failed to return a call from any of them. Meanwhile, Jason is having his week ruined by these mugs."

----------------------------------------------------------
Tournament Notes
----------------------------------------------------------

Cardiff Insider
by Gary Baker

* WHAT a difference a day makes to Puerto Rico's Alan Rolon.

He was also a victim of the lost luggage fiasco which struck fellow countryman Jason Cruz last weekend but, eventually, his cues, along with Cruz's arrived at Cardiff International Arena on Tuesday.

And Rolon, who had not won a game after borrowing sticks from other people for his games, promptly got into action.
He had not won a match all through the tournament and lost his first match of Tuesday 5-2 against Belgium's Pascal Budo.

Then, with nothing to lose, he found himself on the television table - and promptly thumped local Cardiff favorite Rob McKenna, 5-1.

That defeat dumped McKenna out of the tournament and allowed Budo to qualify instead.

The British player said: "If he had had his cues all weekend, I'm sure he would have qualified. He just didn't miss a thing against me."

Harold Acosta - President
Puerto Rican Federation of Billiards
<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Blackwolf
07-17-2003, 10:41 PM
JULY 13 Cruz Case-less In Cardiff Puerto Rican Jason Cruz was case-less in Cardiff as Dutch airline KLM contrived to lose his luggage on the last leg of his flight from Amsterdam to Cardiff.
<hr /></blockquote>Probably Qtec took them.

rukiddingme
07-18-2003, 07:23 AM
The last couple of times that I flew internationally (since 9-11) my luggage was not processed in time to be on the plane and arrived the next day. Sometimes the luggage got stuck at the point of origin and other times did not make the connecting flights in Europe.
I've had problems with American, United, KLM, Sabena, Air Kuwait. I did not attribute this to a vast conspiracy by the airlines against me...Chit happens... especially since 9-11. I now expect my luggage not to be there when I arrive and I am always thankful to arrive...
When traveling it is wise to pack a change of clothing in your cabin luggage and as far as cues are concerned, if you need them for a tournament, ship ahead of time.
ruk