PDA

View Full Version : Playing your idol

bluewolf
07-18-2003, 04:12 AM
There was this guy in our pool hall league I really looked up to as being quite the shooter, I thought I could never beat him.

Well, last night I had to play him. Outplayed him, outshot him. Lost on a sratch eight, when I should have used the bridge, but it was a tough, very exhilarating match.

I knew I was getting better but...since I was paying attention to my game, it never occured that I had a chance against him.

It was kind of weird. Has that happened to any of you? You look up to a person as a better and unflappable player and then you are equal to and play head to head or beat them?

Laura

Hopster
07-18-2003, 04:43 AM
Has that happened to any of you? You look up to a person as a better and unflappable player and then you are equal to and play head to head or beat them? <---Laura

Youre supposed to play the table, not the opponent. I played in my first nine ball tourny in about 8 years last night, double elim. I did ok, i beat 2 and lost to 2. Two guys i knew were better than me i beat. I just played and did what i had to do. I knew if they missed i would get a shot and what can they do from the chair ?
Play the table, thats what you do.

bluewolf
07-18-2003, 07:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr>
Youre supposed to play the table, not the opponent.Play the table, thats what you do.
<hr /></blockquote>

He had always beaten me easily. Then I got better and was making shots I used to not make. I also played a strategic game, which he hates. He started safing me,which resulted in a lot of safes.I was playing aggressively where I used to play primarily defensively. WW thinks that my increased proficiency plus the strategic play caused him to mess himself up mentally. So, I guess maybe, I was playing the table. He was being messed up mentally by a player he was used to outplaying. Although he won the hill hill game on the wire, he was pretty shook up, while I was pretty calm and just trying to play my best game win or lose.

I guess when a player starts focusing on what the other player is doing instead of their own game ie- the table, it messes them up.

But the funny part was this was a guy i thought I never had a chance to beat, I got better, he stayed the same, which made us pretty equal. I never thought about catching up to other players that used to beat me by practicing. As I was getting better, was just focusing on my improvement on the table, it did not occur to me that the people 'above' me might not be doing the same thing.

Laura

Hopster
07-18-2003, 01:13 PM
But the funny part was this was a guy i thought I never had a chance to beat, I got better, he stayed the same, which made us pretty equal. I never thought about catching up to other players that used to beat me by practicing. As I was getting better, was just focusing on my improvement on the table, it did not occur to me that the people 'above' me might not be doing the same thing. &lt;--Laura

Well you are improving, all your practice and posts are paying off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Just step up to the table and go after them, the hell who youre playing. In fact it always helps me a little if i start hating the person im playing, that always brings me up a little. lol
Just play your best game no matter who it is , never be intimidated. Last night i beat people who i knew were over my head but knowing that just made me try harder.
Anyway, keep punching, youre doing fine.

RedHell
07-18-2003, 02:30 PM
I have problems with the narrow thinking of just playing the table. Want it or not, this game is played against opponents and the knowledge of your opponent's weakness or style of play is an edge.

In circumstances where you would have to play a safety, you might chose to leave the cue ball frozen to a rail because you have a good knowledge of your opponent's game. This decision making is easier to learn than many other aspect of the game.

Hopster
07-18-2003, 07:10 PM
I have problems with the narrow thinking of just playing the table. Want it or not, this game is played against opponents and the knowledge of your opponent's weakness or style of play is an edge. &lt;--Red hell

You know you got me thinking, i actually do change my ways when im playing straight pool with someone i know is strong as against someone who is average or weak. I will go for the safety play against a stronger player more often and do something more daring against someone who isnt apt to run 20-30 or more balls on me. So there is something to be said about playing the opponent also.

bluewolf
07-18-2003, 07:50 PM
I knew my opponents game and he knew mine. His game was still the same with the exception of a little better safety play. My style of playing had radically changed.This seemed to throw him off. He is known by playing the table and being unflappable but others who watched said that he was upset.Like, even though he did win,he was caught off guard.

He and I are friends and really like each other but had not played each other for a few months.

I have beaten people by sizing up their weaknesses. But by saying 'play the table', I think this keeps you focussed better and not overwhelmed by who you think is a good opponent. I guess that is what people who say this mean.

Laura