PDA

View Full Version : Where to break in 8-ball

preacherman
04-01-2002, 11:41 PM
I'm pretty confident on my break with 9-ball, but with 8-ball it seems I haven't found my spot. I've been told to break from center table straight into head ball, with little or no draw (which is what I do),but I've heard others say they break from the side and hit second ball, because they have more of a chance of getting a ball in the corner pocket because of the path they are hitting from on the side.

So two views:
1. ALWAYS hit front ball straight on.
2. Side hit on the second ball!

Thoughts please.

Also I hit from center straight into the balls and spread them pretty good, but a break that has no balls go in is really a break in favor of your opponent. So I really want your INPUT to increase ball(s) in pocket ON BREAK!

Thanks!

04-01-2002, 11:44 PM
I like the side or 2nd ball break with a 1\4 tip center left and level cue. It seems when I find my sweet spot I can break and run for hours and when I miss the sweet spot it seems to leave several problem spots on the table. I always like to run out or increase the level of difficulty which I usally feel favors me.

04-02-2002, 12:33 AM
Well this is my opinion of 8-ball and breaking.... I have found that breaking head ball , 2nd ball and even 3rd ball all have their merits and I will constantly change back and forth between all of them untill I find the one that happens to be working on that table, that particular day. If I do go 2nd or 3rd ball I will always put some left on the CB as straight center ball will very often deflect off the pack into the corner or it will bank the CB into the opposite corner... left pulls the CB more towards center off of the rail but it is very hard to control where the CB will end up as many balls are trying to push their way up the table and often hit the CB...dont use too much power on this break it's more of a snap shot then a big power break. With a head ball break I change that constanly also.. usually between 3 spots... straight on... about 6 inches to either side or in the same position as a nine ball break from the corner I find that playing with the speed and power of a headball break for a few minutes is usualy enough to find a good sweetspot. I do not personally recommend drawing off the break as it is so easy to draw back into a corner pocket if you hit the pack slightly off center.. if anything I use a little bit of topspin ( just a hair ). I find that going with a 2nd ball break can make a ball fairly consistantly but every now and then you get large clusters of balls off to one rail or the other.. hope this helps

Doctor_D
04-02-2002, 06:50 AM
Good morning:

On a 9' table, I break from the left rail and target the 2nd ball. On a 7' bar box, I break from the left rail and target the ball on the apex. I have found, while competiting on bar boxes, that a hit on the 2nd ball will usually result in a cue ball scratch if you are not careful.

Dr. D.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-02-2002, 11:28 AM
I like to hit the second ball as full as possible, cue ball lined up where your bridge hand is on the table and in a confortable position. I use low center hit with less than full break speed. I want the cue ball to hit the 2nd ball when there is still bottom spin on the cue ball. This helps avoiding a scratch. Speed is important here, to pocket balls consistantly.

cheesemouse
04-02-2002, 11:44 AM
In the beginning of a tournament if I have the opportunity to watch any of the top seeds break I will. As the matches proceed the 'spot' to break from makes itself known. IMHO it is advisable to move your break around as per conditions.

04-02-2002, 12:56 PM
Hi all I have a great 8 ball break on the bar box. I always have people ask me how I break. well here it is. I place cue ball on the right side of table right on line between the first diamond to the top and also the first diamond left of the pocket.then I aim at [not the head ball] but the line between the 2nd and 3rd ball on the 4th row of balls. this gives you a exact spot to aim not a full ball which allows different results. I put 1/2 tip low center on the c/b hit it hard the c/b should stay in the center of the table [like 9 ball] and you should make balls and get a great spread. good luck`~~~ Jon from mn

04-02-2002, 07:28 PM
From what starting point Tom? What angle? From the side rail?(eightball break?)
In eightball,I like to break from half way between the spot and the rail and hit the head ball dead on with just below center ball and CRUSH it!!! If I don't pocket a ball from that starting point,I moved the cueball and inch or so either way and watch the results each time. Or you can start from the side rail and move the cueball in an inch at a time toward the spot. If you don't get pocketing results from one side,switch to the other side and do the same until you find "The Sweetspot" *HAMMER*

04-02-2002, 07:32 PM
Keep It Simple Stupid!!!

Tom_In_Cincy
04-02-2002, 07:37 PM
8 ball.. thought that was what this post was all about..
I am right handed.. and place the cue on the headstring, as close to the side rail as I can get and still have a confortable bridge and keep a level cue stick. Too close to the rail and you tend to jack up.

If you are as old as I am.. finding a way to break softly and still maintain cue ball control is the way to go. Also another side benifit.. I feel better after playing.. Back is not still from breaking hard all nite..

Scott Lee
04-03-2002, 01:47 AM
preacherman...I feel it is important to note that even the top pros do NOT make a ball on the break all the time (playing 8-ball OR 9-ball). Watching pro pool on tv (or in person) confirms this, as do AccuStats own statistics on over 20 yrs of competitive professional play. For 8-ball, imo, making a ball on the break 60% of the time, while maintaining control of the CB, would be an excellent percentage! My own average is slightly higher, probably because I try to take extra care in how I contact the CB (dead center, no matter WHERE I break from), how I contact the apex ball (dead on), and reducing my break speed to appx. 20 mph. All that, complimented with good fundamentals (pause, set, finish, and with a slow backswing), proper timing, and decent equipment, should result in a higher percentage of balls on the break...at least your consistency will improve! However, that being said, the other posts regarding moving around to 'find' the sweet spot for that table for that day is excellent. I have also used the 2nd ball break on a barbox, with some success. As Diana suggested, a scratch is likely when breaking on the side, which means you must put something extra on the CB to change the 'natural' path off of the collision. That 'something' is usually topspin, draw, english (sidespin), or some combination thereof. IMO, this reduces the effectiveness of the breakspeed, as there will still be energy left on the CB, that could have gone into spreading the balls out more. What I can say, in my experience, is that MANY players attempt to break much harder than is really necessary, frequently resulting in a scratch, or the CB flying off the table. Another case of different strokes for different folks!

Scott Lee

Rod
04-03-2002, 02:39 AM
Yes and I agree with you Scott, for all the same reasons as you probably allready know. People that know me, knows what it means, when I say take care of whitie! The short version of your explanation. Well said.

JohnnyP
04-05-2002, 12:40 PM
When I used to play on bar tables, I would hit the second ball pretty full, with low inside. The cue ball would slam two rails into the back of the rack.

I made the eight ball on the break three games in a row one night, once in the side, and twice up table in the corner.

04-05-2002, 01:39 PM
On a bar box, I generally go straight on with either a center hit or as high as approximately a half tip above center. With a hard break, it is extremely rare when I don't drop at least 1.

On a 9 ft. table, I go a bit off center and line the CB in a direct line with the ball at the head of the rack and the one on that is either to the back left or right (depending on the side that I am breaking) of the 8 ball.

O O O O O
O X X O
O 8 O
O O
X

With this line, I hit a half tip above center with excellent results as well.

(please excuse the fact that my diagram does not show well in the final post, but I believe you get the idea)