PDA

View Full Version : question for Keith or anyone

pooldaddy9
07-18-2003, 06:24 AM
I can't understand how say, player A beats player B (me) almost every time we play. Player C beats player A almost all the time they play but player B (me) beats player C all the time.
What's up with this? I would play either at any given time, so I know I'm not pressured by this player. Any suggestions? Thanks

CrispyFish
07-18-2003, 06:50 AM
How is player A beating you? Are you losing safety battles, for instance? Maybe player C has some skills that you don't have, that neutralize player A's strategy. Just a thought.

bluewolf
07-18-2003, 07:01 AM
Gosh this does sound tricky.This relates to what I have observed in some players.

With players of near equal ability, I wonder if one player is being beaten on the mental court. I have noticed that when playing some players,strategic play can come into being a factor. Some players are unflappable and are not affected by this. Others are very much. Even getting them off their pace a bit, getting them to play a game that is not what they are used to will do it. Some do not fold or choke.

Possible scenario. Player that beats you is doing something strategically on the mental court. The player that beats him is unaffected by these strategies so beats him. This player is essentially the same type of player as you, but a little weaker per haps, so you beat him. Where he is unaffected by the mental strategies of the player beating you,you are being affected by his mental warfare. I would think that if you can analyze and figure out his game, then you can overcome this through knowlege and be able to beat him.

I think that also, once being beaten by a player, each time a person is beaten by that player, there may be a mental problem relating to believing that one can beat that player. This becomes like a 'self-fullfilling prophecy',expecting to lose again.

These to me relate more to 'psychological' possibilities. Others will have other ideas, hopefully.

JMHO

Laura

Ralph S.
07-18-2003, 07:42 AM
Player A could be an sl2 sandbagging. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously, someone already mention safety play and maybe they do have a better defensive game since their offensive game may not be as strong as yours or player A.

Chris Cass
07-18-2003, 08:01 AM
Sounds mental to me.

C.C.

Bassn7
07-18-2003, 08:48 AM
For analysis sake, let's assume that we are talking about an even race to let's say 7 games. Players have "EXTREMELY UNIQUE STYLES" of playing their games. Each player's style effects the other's game in numerous ways. I love a fast paced game, others shoot slow and methodical. The mechanical skills may be the same but the "style" match-up will often determine the outcome. Never assume because you always beat 'player b' and he always beats 'player c', that you can beat 'player c'. Pool is crazy and wild at times. Style, atmosphere, time of day and even how the other person dresses can get into your head without you even knowing it. Get the match played in 'YOUR STYLE' as quickly as you can. (Here's an example: I play the same speed as the rest of the tournament players in my area. But I always wear a collored pressed shirt, long pants and dress shoes when playing. Image and style can give you an edge that goes beyond pool skills.

stevelomako
07-18-2003, 11:18 AM
It's a subliminal plot by pool rooms to keep getting table time!

Seriously though, you might never figure it out, it's just one of those things that happens everywhere in every sport. The more you worry about it the worse it gets sometimes, just got to stay loose and play.

Good Luck

NBC-BOB
07-18-2003, 12:05 PM
I think one's game is influenced a lot by the other player.
Some player's are very slow,some fast,some talk a lot,some having an annoying personality( at least to you).When where playing,we interact a lot more then we think with the other player.I noticed over the years that some players, are annoying to play against.They never did anything to me,but for some reason there style of play annoy's me. So if that happens I don't play with them anymore.It's kind of like meeting someone for the first time, and you walk away thinking there's something I don't like about that person.
Usually somewhere down the line you bump into that person and now you find out why you didn't like them to start with.

Keith McCready
07-18-2003, 01:52 PM
Well, PoolDaddy9, you got to keep weathering the storms until it finally happens. Hopefully, the guy won't get to be a real thorn in your butt. Eventually, you will beat him, sooner or later.

It's actually kind of like a card player. Card Player A can beat Card Player B, Card Player B beats Card Player C all the time, but Card Player C has never beat Card Player A. I've dealt with people like that, who have beat me in the past, same way that they are beating you, and I have had better luck trying to figure out their weaknesses and usually that would be the answer.

Tip: Know the areas of your game you need to improve. It could be that Players A and C, if you guys play all the time, know your weak spots -- can't bank, can't pocket balls on the break, can't make a kickshot, can't shoot off a rail -- and use it to their advantage. Knowledge of your opponent's game will give you an edge, and targeting their weaknesses from the very start will give you momentum as the game progresses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Earthquake

Fred Agnir
07-18-2003, 02:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> Knowledge of your opponent's game will give you an edge, and targeting their weaknesses from the very start will give you momentum as the game progresses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif<hr /></blockquote>
Chalk one up for "play the table and the opponent."

Fred &lt;~~~ agrees wholeheartedly

OnePocketChamp
07-18-2003, 04:42 PM
This is a very simple question to answer and painless to correct: never ever play player A again and then find that elusive player D to pick up his games.

Seriously, the question was too similar to those algebra questions they always ask in school and after reading it twice I got such a headache that I could not respond in a productive manner-----sorry /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Slasher
07-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Maybe after the initial loss you are trying too hard /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Relax and let your best game come out.