PDA

View Full Version : A question about grip

nhp
07-18-2003, 07:25 AM
In what way do most of you prefer to grip the cue? I have a few questions about this.

Do you prefer the cue to be touching the skin in between your index and thumb, or should there be space between?

Do you lock your wrist when you stroke, or do you keep it loose?

Should your thumb be touching the cue, or be hanging off?

Do you grip the cue more with the fingers, or in the palm of your hand?

How loose do you grip the cue? When I hold it too lose sometimes it slips thru my hand, and when I hold it a bit tighter it feels like it is inhibiting my stroke.

What fingers are in contact with the cue when you hit the object ball, and where inside your hand is the cue touching?

I would like any good player to answer to this, I want to try something new with my grip, because I can't seem to find a good one. Thanx

pooltchr
07-18-2003, 09:32 AM
These are somewhat tough questions to answer in this forum, but I will give it a try. Your grip should be relaxed. I can't imagine having the palm of your hand touching the butt allowing the proper motion. I personally cradle my cue between my thumb and first 3 fingers. Your wrist should be relaxed. Think of the pendelum on a clock. As your arm moves forward, if your wrist is locked with a tight grip, the tip of the cue stick is going to move up in the air. You want it to pass through the point where the cue ball is in a level plane. This means your wrist has to be relaxed. Just grip enough to keep the cue stable as your are completing your stroke. Maybe some of the other instructors on the board can add to this.
Good Luck.

mark wilson
07-18-2003, 09:32 AM
Grip is a good question as many misconceptions exist without much to substantiate much with any information that is dispensed. I do not have all the answers but rather will share my observations. We hold the pool cue with our dominant hand but contrary to logic the grip hand is not for steering or directing the tip to the precise point on the cue ball this should be the function of the bridge hand. To obtain control over the tip the grip hand wrist should not be tensed or flipped through the stroke execution but rather hang loose and any wrist action is caused by the swing gaining speed forward and impacting the cueball which would then cause a minor flex forward. Attempting to "snap" the wrist serves to move the tip up and down and is contrary to tip control, accuracy, and consistency. A proper grip is obtained by placing the cue on the outer part of the fingers just in from the finger tips. Then bring the thumb over the cue to meet the forefinger while not applying any pressure to the side of the cue. Now simply drop your hands to your waist and allow your cue to hang in your grip hand. If you are not squeezing you have a proper grip. Now notice the thumb to be straight up and down along with the hands knuckles not bowed outward while the cue is hanging in the grip. When shooting notice if at the end of your shot you feel any squeeze or tension in your grip hand. Clenching on the grip will distort the exactness of the tip delivery required for high perfomance pool playing. Also notice if the thumb is still pointed straight up and down as when you started. If you see it is turned this deviation can cause a loss of accuracy as well. The wrist roll is frequently caused by holding the cue too close to your body and when the grip arrives at the rib cage the upper arm drops and the wrist will tend to turn to obtain a follow through. This extra motion leads to inconsistent stroke deliveries which hampers precision.