PDA

View Full Version : Homeowners Insurance

bluewolf
07-18-2003, 08:23 AM
Well, we have already been turned down by one company. Apparently alaskan malamutes and siberian huskies are on their list of vicious dogs and if you have one, they will not insure you.

Geez, we mainly wanted to be insured against 'acts of God'. It is so stupid. My mal is such a wuss, he would bite himself before he would bite a person or even another dog. I question whether he would even defend himself. I would probably have to defend him. My husky thinks everyone and every other dog is supposed to be her friend, not an agressive bone.

Gosh, we will keep looking. Just hope all insurance companies are not like this.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
07-18-2003, 08:55 AM
Insurance companies are getting really picky what with all the hurricanes and dog-bite lawsuits and stuff. My parents turned in 2 claims in one year, $1000 vandalism and $900 theft. Their insurance co. dropped them after 36 years.

It's so bad the states are instituting plans where the state (taxpayers) are assuming all the risk and the insurance companies are making their money administering the plans.

Can't you just insure your stuff without buying liability insurance for your dogs?

bolo
07-18-2003, 03:12 PM
I have Liberty Mutual and I used to have Pitbulls and I carried a seperate policy on them somehow a part of my homeowners policy. It is just a matter of cost. I never heard of someone beint turned down because of having a dog. I don't think your breed of dogs have a history do they? Did you say one time you had a wolf, that may cause a problem. Don't yu have insurance now?

Chris Cass
07-18-2003, 11:02 PM
Keep looking Laura, I'm sure you'll find someone to insure you. Maybe start with a few low cost coverage on some things that can't be replaced. It might be cheaper. You really need a couple policys maybe?

C.C.

bluewolf
07-19-2003, 05:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Keep looking Laura, I'm sure you'll find someone to insure you. Maybe start with a few low cost coverage on some things that can't be replaced. It might be cheaper. You really need a couple policys maybe?

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks. More and more companies are doing this. Unfortunately their information on huskies is incorrect. Any spitz type dog is called husky and some non siberians have caused more problems. Siberians themselves are not aggressive at all.But We will keep looking. The insurance company suggested to look into local companies. Geez. We just wanted coverage in case of 'acts of god' like fire, lighting, flood etc.

Laura

bluewolf
07-19-2003, 05:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> I have Liberty Mutual and I used to have Pitbulls and I carried a seperate policy on them somehow a part of my homeowners policy. It is just a matter of cost. I never heard of someone beint turned down because of having a dog. I don't think your breed of dogs have a history do they? Did you say one time you had a wolf, that may cause a problem. Don't you have insurance now? <hr /></blockquote>

My wolfdog was so high percent like 90%+ that we called him wolf but to anyone who asked he was mal/shep. He died in 2000. The laws are so bad against them, any incident, even if it is not their fault, they lose their head. They are illegal in maryland where I live and in fairfax county which is a big county on the va side of dc.My wolf dog was also nonagressive unless attacked.I have a story about that but I think already told it here, dont remember, sometimes have CRS

These are not wolves and no aggressive history at all.No we do not have insurance. One of those things stupidly put off and now had a wakeup call and scrambling to get it.

Laura

bluewolf
07-19-2003, 05:25 AM
If anyone is interested in wolves or my story about what happened with mine in my 'story', I have a doc I have written about that. Just let me know.

In maryland, to have a wolf, I think it is about $3000+ a year per dog and containment per the state's specifications. Otherwize it is illegal to own any wolfdog,whether 1% or 98%.So the vets all called him canine mix or nordic breed. Only when he was terminal and had weeks to live was wolf-dog put on his chart.

Laura

07-19-2003, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>
My wolfdog was so high percent like 90%+ that we called him wolf but to anyone who asked he was mal/shep. <hr /></blockquote>

Didn't you scientifically determine that your wolfdog was 99.44% pure wolf??

JPB
07-19-2003, 02:01 PM
It's not that crazy. Have you seen the results of a really good dog mauling on a child? If your dog does it, expect damages of up to $1 million. Sorry. Maybe your dogs aren't mean. Maybe they won't attack. But if they do the results can be horrifying. You should try to get a package with your car insurance. Get homeowners, car insurance, and an umbrella policy over both. You are not making a mistake by having at least a million in umbrella coverage with those dogs. Even if you don't have the dogs, most people carry too little insurance. If you have any earning potential or property, get plenty of insurance. Freak accidents happen and they cost more than people think. If you have big dogs, bad things are more likely to occur.

bluewolf
07-19-2003, 03:05 PM
When I am walking my 110lb mal and we see a small yippy dog, we cross the street so that the small dog will not bite him. You have no idea how many of those small dogs(where I live) want to go after my husky and mal. My husky and mal just look at them. Of course, they would like to play with the little dog, but i do not let them because they might get bit.

My dogs have had zero bad experiences with other dogs and I plan to keep it that way. And what about the rules of leashing dogs in public, which imo are great rules. if a big dog owner does not follow this rule they are likely to get creamed. But many (not all) owners of the small dogs here keep them off leash like the rules do not apply to them. Then if the small dog runs up to my big dog, I have to correct the small dog, verbally, because the owner is not doing it.I know lots of big dog(like golden retrievers and labs) owners who stopped going to the dog park because the little dogs were biting their dogs.

As far as mauling, if a big dog bites a child the damage is definately greater, no question about that. That happens when the dog has not been trained (or some dumb person trained their rott, shep or pit to attack, btw, huskies and mals cannot be trained to attack or to protect your belongings. They are more likely to invite the burgular in and show them the family jewels) and is not being supervised or the kid has not been trained.

Geez, we just wanted act of God coverage, that is all and our auto company has another company do the homeowners,and they have a dangerous dog list and mine are on it.

BTW, huskies and mals are less likely to bite a child than 99% of the breeds. These are the breeds that were brought in at night in the arctic regions to keep the children warm.Neither of these breeds is dangerous to people at all. Nope, biting people not in the breed. Whoever put those breeds on the list are total idiots.

BTW, I do not need 1 mil of insurance for a dog bite. I never allow any kids around my dogs unattended and do not allow small kids around them at all because I do not want my dogs to get poked in the eye and I do not want the child to be injured because they were accidentally knocked over.

Laura

dg-in-centralpa
07-20-2003, 05:54 AM
Kaura - in answer to your insurance problem, check with an insurance broker rather than the big companies(State Farm, Erie, etc). I'm in the real estate business and I have had State Farm turn down 4 houses this year because we couldn't document when the roof was put on the house. They won't insure a house if the roof is over 20 years old. They also turned down a house because of peeling paint.
The insurance companies all lost money in the stock market as did everybody. Unfortunately we have to make up what they lost by paying higher premiums, or having our insurance dropped for no reason.
Insurance companies not only won't insure if you have certain dogs, they are also doing credit reports on their people. I know of people who were turned down for insurance even though they were approved for a mortgage. Figure that out. I know people who have been with the same company for 20 years and have their insurance dropped and no claims were ever made.
Everytime you call your agent with a question on a possible claim, even though you never file it, this goes on record for your property. Houses have been turned down because of "Too many claims". This is a problem that the real estate business is faced with. We're not sure how we will handle it as yet. We are still gathering info to prepare our case. If anyone has any other horror stories, let me know. This is something that will affect everyone.

Good Luck!

dg-in-centralpa
07-20-2003, 06:00 AM
Sorry for the mispel of your name.
DG - who's still half asleep

bluewolf
07-20-2003, 06:45 AM
Thankyou for this information. Do you know if you can get certain things insured like valuables, in the meantime?

Laura

dg-in-centralpa
07-20-2003, 07:06 AM
You should be able to . Document what you have and get an appraisal on each item as well. Maybe take a video as proof of what you have. My parents house was broken into many years ago, and he lost most of his coin collection. The insurance company gave him a minimal amount compared to its' value, because nothing was documented. I was pissed at him for not listening to me. I wanted him to document everything as well as keep it at my business because I had a security system where it would have been safe. Oh well...