PDA

View Full Version : Pool & Gambling

NBC-BOB
07-18-2003, 12:54 PM
Well here's a subject that's been on here many times.I'm wondering how many people think gambling takes away there enjoyment of the game.Certainly I realize that lots of people love that part of the game, but I personally don't.
I play the game strictly for enjoyment and only play straight pool.When playing I like to, on occasion,play a difficult shot if I have nothing else and if I'm gambling I never try any crazy shots.Therefore I feel that gambling takes away my enjoyment of playing.Now am I crazy or do other's feel the same way?The level of my game is such that I can run 3 or 4 racks often.

bolo
07-18-2003, 02:47 PM
Then don't gamble. I am almost a lifelong vegetarian, yet if you come to my house, I will be happy to prepare what ever you like, want hot-dogs, I will go out and get them, I don't tell anyone how to live nor do I impose my ideas on anyone. The reason I draw this parallel is. I have never seen a gambling thread with someone who likes to gamble, trying to convince those that don't gamble, to gamble. Every thread consists of those that don't gamble attempting to make those who do gamble, feel bad about it. Often it is an all out attack out of nowhere. I don't get it and I find it interesting and wonder what is their motive. If you don't like to gamble, I suggest you don't.

Rich R.
07-18-2003, 04:04 PM
I have to agree with you Bob. Gambling takes some of the enjoyment out of just playing. It makes playing more like a job. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

For Bolo, I really don't care if anyone gambles or not and I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I have done my share of gambling on pool, and I was relatively successful. I may do some more some day. For now, I just enjoy myself more, if I don't gamble. Everyone must choose for themselves.

Keith Talent
07-18-2003, 04:14 PM
I think there's a place for gambling, or not. Seems a shame that some folks NEVER do, and others ALWAYS MUST.

UWPoolGod
07-18-2003, 04:29 PM
There is a major difference between gambling and "friendly wagering" Most of the games I have been in involve the latter. My regular game now is set up $5/rack 8ball with a guy who loves the game and doesn't seem to care about losing his money. We always have a good time, have a few beers, but at the end he pays it off...as he would gladly take mine as well.

As far as the ALWAYS MUST, I agree with that. A few guys around the bar, if they have the table they insist on playing for something because it is their table. And always offer if they are racking, and get mad if you don't accept and stil want to play. Funny.

griffith_d
07-18-2003, 05:53 PM
The thread that was posted awhile back seemed to say that gambling would get the best game out of a person,...maybe so for some. Others, gambling would make that person play worse,..they are always worrying and are not relaxed when playing. That person would be more relaxed when not gambling and play a better game, would make better shots and might try the "go for it" shot and make it, giving the other person an even better game.

People like me that have gone from only gambling to playing in league to tournaments and gambling 50% of the time and the other time just for fun can see both sides. I always(relatively speaking 95% of the time) try my best, never throw a game when for money or for fun.

I love pool for the game, the sound of the balls thwacking(new word)into the pocket on a great shot, beating the other person, anticipation of my turn, the sound of a great break(doesn't it sound good). I guess I am a purist when it comes to pool,...I like pool because it is POOL.

Griff

bluewolf
07-18-2003, 08:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> I don't tell anyone how to live nor do I impose my ideas on anyone. The reason I draw this parallel is. I have never seen a gambling thread with someone who likes to gamble, trying to convince those that don't gamble, to gamble. Every thread consists of those that don't gamble attempting to make those who do gamble, feel bad about it. Often it is an all out attack out of nowhere. I don't get it and I find it interesting and wonder what is their motive. If you don't like to gamble, I suggest you don't. <hr /></blockquote>

Gotcha. Some get into this moralizing stuff. In reality, if someone gambles or not, it is none of my business. It is their business.And yes, some have allowed it to ruin their lives, but it is theirs to ruin. Kind of the way I see it anyway. People are going to do what they must and it is not up to me to tell them their behavior regarding this or any other issue will do this or that to them. As long as the person is not hurting me, then what business is it of mine?

BW----&gt;reformed moralizer

stick8
07-18-2003, 09:34 PM
Just wondering, do you gamble on golf? cards? Bingo? state lotto?Gambling will always be with us just indivuel choise,I 65 yr and still enjoy a little wager.when i was in my 20 i made more money playing pool than my job. yes i had a job i was no pool bum.

NBC-BOB
07-21-2003, 07:13 AM
Well thank you all for the reply's.Although I was never a big gambler,I certainly did some.I prefer not to anymore,but don't care if other's do.
Bob

BBCVD
07-21-2003, 09:19 AM
My experience is that wagering definately takes some fun out of the game. It's amazing how the loss of only a few bucks or a few drinks can make some folks hostile and violent. I generally do not wager on my game, and I find it funny that sometimes when I come up to the table at one of my local taverns, and decline the table holders invitation to wager, that they berate me, and sometimes will then give up the table because "it's just not worth playing if were not going to put anything on it."

PQQLK9
07-21-2003, 09:50 AM
My sentiments exactly...

griffith_d
07-21-2003, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BBCVD:</font><hr> My experience is that wagering definately takes some fun out of the game. It's amazing how the loss of only a few bucks or a few drinks can make some folks hostile and violent. I generally do not wager on my game, and I find it funny that sometimes when I come up to the table at one of my local taverns, and decline the table holders invitation to wager, that they berate me, and sometimes will then give up the table because "it's just not worth playing if were not going to put anything on it." <hr /></blockquote>

It is amazing that some players equate the amount of the bet or gambling in general to courage. I have overheard players saying,..."oh, he's a coward, he won't gamble". This kind of statement makes them feel powerful and brave, because people will say almost anything once they feel that person will not gamble on any circumstance.

These are the types of people that will shoot you the finger on the road,..but would not dare get out of their car.

Griff