PDA

View Full Version : You just never know who you'll run into...

Barbara
07-18-2003, 01:43 PM
...at the pool hall.

Since I had to go into work today at 5 am, I was done at 1. So I grabbed my stick an mosied on over.

No Efren or Busta or Andam with Uncle Mikey LeBron, but Jose Parica came in and it was the first time I've ever seen him there.

Nice guy! He sat at the counter and a couple of us were talking about that $1,000,000 first place tourny and how that was probably not going to happen.

Too bad the RO busted up his cue this week. I would've enjoyed watching the action.

So who have you been surprised by coming through the door at your room?

Barbara~~~kewl /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UWPoolGod
07-18-2003, 01:58 PM
I remember I was playing at Dr. Cues in Seattle and Mike Massey walked in the door. He was going to be giving a trick shot exhibition the next day and wanted to test the tables. No pros come to Seattle. Maybe John Horsfall and Rich Geiler every now and then. Dan Louie is still around but only for the big tourneys.

SPetty
07-18-2003, 02:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> So who have you been surprised by coming through the door at your room?<hr /></blockquote>Well, I've been playing in league before and look across the room and lo and behold, Spiderman is there! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty~~~ sorry, stupid post... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Barbara
07-18-2003, 02:50 PM
Hey! That would make my day!

Barbara~~~has got some new gagdets courtesy of Spidey's recommendations /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
07-18-2003, 02:53 PM
Todd,

Mike Massey is one cool dude. I caught one of his shows at Petey Fusco's place in Feasterville about 9-10 years ago.

Great show!! Never pass up an opportunity to see his show.

Barbara~~~got to meet her Cue Man there for the first time, too... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UGOTACTION
07-18-2003, 03:05 PM
I was playing in the local pool room about 2 years ago and charlie williams (the dragon) walked in and asked for action.

Rod
07-18-2003, 03:19 PM
Barbara,

Over the years while in pool rooms, I've seen a lot of great players walk in. I mean you don't expect to see them but it is a pool room. You just happened to take off the right time, day, and go to the right pool room, amazing isn't it?

You've heard this before but, you don't expect to see a couple of celebrities walk in your business. I still find it odd but fun and amazing that Paul Newman come in our room. What is even more fun, was when he chose me to be his partner. We kicked their butts and made a few bucks.

~~~ rod, happy that Paul came in /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barbara
07-18-2003, 03:35 PM
Rod,

At the risk of alienating my hubby sitting next to me right now, I'd volunteer to be Paul Newman's partner any day of the week!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pool partner, that is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But you're right, it is just so cool to catch the time and day to see these players walk in, or be in, your room live and real.

Barbara~~~see you in Vegas soon... heh heh heh... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
07-18-2003, 04:06 PM
On several occasions when playing in major local tourney I have noticed among others who walked in and were entered to play: jeanette Lee, Cory Duel, and Alex Pagulyon.

pooljunkie73
07-18-2003, 05:47 PM
You guys got all the luck.There are absolutely no pros in my part of Canada. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Braggers /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopster
07-18-2003, 07:03 PM
I have seen Jeanette Lee and Vivian Villareal saunter in together one day about 7-8 years ago. I seen our own Keith Mcready at pool sharks around 94 playing a race with Danny Diliberto.
I see Johnny Ervalino at least once a week and its a treat to watch him practice straight pool.
And last but not least i saw the great Fran Crimi in our room !!

Fran Crimi
07-18-2003, 07:54 PM
I remember several years ago, I was hanging out at the Golden Q and this kid walked in with his backer. The kid looked about 16 and the backer was woofing that the kid will play anyone in the house for any money. One of the regulars played him and got run over like a tractor.

I was sitting at the snack bar counter drinking a coffee, and the kid came over and sat down. He just kept talking and talking and talking. The funny part was he was talking to nobody in particular, just to anyone who'd listen. He kept saying "Ah'm gonna be a world champion some day" over and over. I asked the kid his name. He said, Earl Strickland. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

stevelomako
07-18-2003, 08:24 PM
I've known him that long too and the real funny part is he STILL has'nt stopped talking.

Looking for Earl and Alex in the finals!!!!

UTAddb
07-18-2003, 11:58 PM
I've seen Vivian V. and Double J (briefly) at the Fast Eddie's tour stops.

nhp
07-19-2003, 03:49 AM
Players who have visited the room I play at: Jose Parica, Ernesto Dominguez, Max Eberle, Santos Sambajon, Shannon Daulton, Tang Hoa, Charlie Williams, Mike Massey, and a couple more whom I can't remember right now.

Keith McCready
07-19-2003, 05:18 AM
When I was a young kid living in Anaheim, I used to hang out at a pool room near my home named Irwin's. Jimmy Caras, Cowboy Jimmy Moore, and Joe Balsis were just a few of the regulars, and even Irving Crane was known to pop in from time to time. Well, one day, this big fat man walks in, dressed real sharp, full of confidence, and he calmly reaches into his pocket and pulls out this gigantic wad, just for the flash effect. My eyes got bigger and bigger as I watched him trying to match up with the homeboys. After a lot of back-and-forth banter, much to my disappointment, I knew nobody was going to take a shot at the big man, bank roll and all. Coming to the same realization, he picked up his case and started heading for the exit. Somebody yelled out a wisecrack, trying to get his goat, probably one last-ditch effort to get him to stay and play. I thought he was going to just ignore the smart-aleck comment and leave, but when he reached the front door, he paused, turned around and said, "Boys, the only difference between me and everybody else is that everybody else drives around in a Volkswagen and Minnesota Fats drives around in a Duesenberg."

Earthquake

Deeman
07-19-2003, 07:13 AM
Keither,

Write that damn book. Now all we have to do is think of a good title....Maybe we should have a string here on recommended titles for it.....Maybe, "From Either to Earthquake!" or "It's a Nightmare, isn't it?" My favorite (from personal experience against Keith) "They never smell the either, until it's too late!"
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Dee

pooljunkie73
07-19-2003, 07:48 AM
i'll vote for.....It's a nightmare,isn't it?

Hopster
07-19-2003, 10:29 AM
"Boys, the only difference between me and everybody else is that everybody else drives around in a Volkswagen and Minnesota Fats drives around in a Duesenberg." &lt;--Keith mcready

Keith, did you ever match up with the fat man ??

dg-in-centralpa
07-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Barbara - LEBANON, PA., smack in the middle of the Amish country, former home of David Letterman, home of the Lebanon bologna, our 6 table pool hall never gets anybody big unless they contract someone for an exhibition. Harrisburg has had a few but again mainly for exhibition.

DG - who lives in a town that is not known on a pool map.

Keith McCready
07-20-2003, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr>Keith, did you ever match up with the fat man?<hr /></blockquote>

Matter of fact, I did play Minnesota Fats. Actually, I was the last guy that he played for money before he passed.

I was in St. Louis competing in a pool tournament when I was about 19 or 20. Many of the best pool players of that era were in attendance, including Ronnie Allen who was good friends with the fat man. I was the up-and-coming star at this time, my game not even at its peak, and Fats, I believe out of curiosity, wanted to see how good I played. He had been hearing about this young kid from California, and Ronnie, with his usual gift of gab, got the game going.

I was one of the very few privileged individuals given this opportunity to gamble with Minnesota, as he liked to be called, and what a show it was, one of the best times I have ever had in my life and something that I will never forget. I played him a nickel a game, 8 to 7, one-pocket, and then I spotted him 10 to 8 playing banks. He was a perfect gentleman, very funny, and the games were all pretty close. We were cutting up with each other, and if you think I'm funny, you should have seen him. He was the ultimate entertainer when he was at the table, a real crowd-pleaser, and this was a very unique show between a living legend and a kid. "How, do you like me now, Junior?," he would bellow out after making a good shot, and then as he would approach his next shot, he would turn to the crowd and make gestures towards me. I ate it up, laughing just as hard, if not harder, as everybody else. The whole joint was pulling for Fatty, which I don't blame them. If I wasn't playing, I would have been rooting for him, too. I ended up beating him out of 8 dimes, and he paid me off: 4,000 in $500 bills and the rest in C-notes. He autographed every single one of those $500 bills as he handed them to me. They were priceless, and I sure do wish I still had them. I was on the road with a guy named Charlie the Ape then, and for whatever reason, Charlie went south with my winnings, stealing every single one of those signed $500 bills. But there is one thing that nobody can ever take away from me, and that is this wonderful memory, one I will always cherish, of playing Rudolph Wanderone a/k/a Minnesota Fats.

Years later, I was living in Nashville, and word came out that Fats was very ill and in the hospital. I went to see him and he knew who I was, and even though he didn't feel good, he still maintained his sense of humor. He was talking about old times, laughing and smirking. A week later, he passed.

Earthquake

nhp
07-20-2003, 07:54 AM
Minnesota Fatts is Rudolph Wanderone, right? If so, I heard he was just a B player at best, is this true?

Barbara
07-20-2003, 08:52 AM
Hey DG!

I know where Lebanon PA is. I'm an uprooted PA gal myself. (Main Line/Penn Valley)

You've got to get into Philly when the Filipinos come to town. Nothing like watching Bustamente run racks of rotation. Nothing like it!

Barbara

Hopster
07-20-2003, 10:15 AM
Years later, I was living in Nashville, and word came out that Fats was very ill and in the hospital. I went to see him and he knew who I was, and even though he didn't feel good, he still maintained his sense of humor. He was talking about old times, laughing and smirking. A week later, he passed. &lt;--Keith Mcready

Great stuff Keith !!
I loved to see fats play even though its only on tapes and the shows i saw him on tv. My first cue was a $10 Minnesota Fats cue that i still have. lol
The guy could have definetly been a comedian as the one tape i have of him playing U. J. Puckett, he stops the match and for 10 minutes goes back and forth with the audience and its just outrageous. Then when he starts busting Willies chops on another tape its priceless.
They say he could be deadly at one pocket which i beleive as i the guy really did look like a an excellent banker.
Anyway, that was a good story, thanks for sharing it Keith.

dg-in-centralpa
07-20-2003, 10:22 AM
Barbara - do they just show up or do you know ahead of time when they will be in town. I'd love to come and watch them play. Let me know.
DG - who lives just east of Hershey where the street lights look like Hershey kisses.

Barbara
07-20-2003, 10:25 AM
DG,

They just kinda "show up". Of course, if there's a big tourny coming up in the area, they'll be in town about a week before.

Usually they're here the week before the US Open, too.

Barbara

pooltchr
07-21-2003, 06:36 AM
I walked into Mother's in Charlotte a few years ago to have some cue work done. Wandered into the back and found 3 world champions practicing on 3 different tables. Allison, Ewa, and Gerta. It was a couple of hours before I could drag myself away. A great learning experience to watch these 3 ladies work out on the tables.

Vicki
07-21-2003, 12:50 PM
I was playing on the table next to Alanzo Morning at Champion's in Rockville, MD a few years ago. I noticed people asking him for autographs (he was very rude to them) but didn't pay much attention until someone told me who he was. Apparently he'd watched me play because when I was taking the balls up he made a comment that I was a good player. I snapped at him and said I just wanted a night out with my friends and could't a girl just play pool without having to be harrassed by fans?! I'm not sure he got it.

Different pool room, about a year later, I saw Michael Jordan leaving as I was coming in. Too bad, I'd have asked him to gamble!

Vicki