PDA

View Full Version : I think I got it!

ladybilliards
07-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Lately I've been concentrating only on "making the ball" and it's been working. While surveying the table, I figure out where I want to hit the cue ball, once I'm down on the shot during the practice strokes, I get comfortable with the stroke and the last thing on my mind is make the ball. That's it. Before I was trying to do it all at once and it only takes a second to lose concentration and miss the ball. I'd end up with shape but sitting down waiting for my turn again! Now I have shape and still shooting! I'm sure most of you already do this but it's a good reminder:)
lb

socrates
07-18-2003, 03:31 PM
I thought this might tie in with your observation.

Stroke the shot straight and sure. The position in its (the strokes) perfection.

Enjoy the Journey

bolo
07-18-2003, 03:36 PM
You have to play position but the first thing is to make the ball. Don't miss the ball trying to get position, but do be playing position to the limit of your ability. Playing position is two fold. The better you play position the easier shots you have are and the easier it is to get the next position. If you don't play position, nobody is a good enough shot maker to run out with any consistency.

UWPoolGod
07-18-2003, 03:38 PM
A friend of mine Tyler Luce who got 2nd in the BCA 8ball Open in Vegas this year told me to always be sure the shot is going in when you are ready to shoot. If he has any inkling that he is going to miss he stands up. There is no point in taking the shot if you are unsure of the outcome. Started giving me an extra ball. Doesn't do any good to get shape on your ball if you miss the shot.

I always laugh at people who when they miss "At least I got shape". I always tell them "Well if you had made the shot that is not where the cueball would have ended up."

ladybilliards
07-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I never looked at it that way! You are right!
lb

heater451
07-18-2003, 07:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> A friend of mine. . .If he has any inkling that he is going to miss he stands up. There is no point in taking the shot if you are unsure of the outcome. . . .<hr /></blockquote>That's something you have to train yourself to do, I think.

I've managed it sometimes, but I more often go ahead and hit a shot badly, even while screaming in my head that it's wrong, and even saying afterwards, "I knew that was wrong before I shot it!"

============================