PDA

View Full Version : Bringing your cues to the pool hall

eg8r
07-18-2003, 03:54 PM
This post is sort of a "What would you do". Last night, after my softball game, the team decided to go out and get something to eat and hang out since this was my last game with the team. I got to choose where we would go. My first instinct is Fox and Hound. This is a Chilis type restaurant that has a bunch of pool tables. Obviously I was a little selfish and chose a place where I could play pool and we could all gather around and hang out. I figured I would not lose a single game so I would get time to hang out with everyone.

Well, on our way to Fox and Hound, I start to grab my cues. My wife looks at me with a strange face and asks, "Why do you have to bring those. We are just going to hang out with some people and we will only be there a couple hours."

I am thinking, "Hey, I am not going to lose, so why should I have to play with a house cue for a couple hours." She did not see my point and I left the cues.

My question, when you guys are going out to just "hang" out with non-pool playing friends and you will be playing pool, do you bring your cues?

I grab them no matter what.

eg8r

Harold Acosta
07-18-2003, 04:25 PM
I always have a "throw-in-the-trunk" cue and case. It's a Mizerak cue about 20 years old, made with real Canadian Maple, not the new ones that are around. Steel joint, no wrap, 4 points, still a nice looking cue. As a matter of fact, it was my first "real two-piece" cue. Paid $19.00 for it at K-mart.

Anytime I plan to "hang out" with or without pool playing friends, I'll throw the case in the trunk. I feel much better playing with that cue than with house cues.

nAz
07-18-2003, 04:27 PM
whats up dude?

I have no friends outside of the pool world. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif oh wait no I have a life /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifIf i'm gonna hang with my non pool playing friends (Yahoos) I'd rather not bring my cues, i may get drunk and forget about them.

OnePocketChamp
07-18-2003, 04:34 PM
I hate to say this ole pal but it may be time to trade the trophy wife in for a more understanding model, one that realizes that a pool players ego is measured by not how far he can draw whitey but what he has in his case. If she can cook TEX-MEX, I'll take her off your hands!!!!!!!!

UWPoolGod
07-18-2003, 04:40 PM
If I am playing with my pool friends at the bar I bring them, because they bring them. If I am with non-pool shooting friends I don't. I will play with a house cue and beat them. But then they start the whole "Go play that guy with the cue for money or beers" talk and I say " hey, I thought we were having fun, if you wanted me to play people I would have brought my cue."

But yeah I am the same way in regards to the drinking aspect of a night out. If I am going to be putting a few away I leave em at home or in the car. Cues tend to grow legs and walk off when you aren't paying attention to them...like when you drink around pretty women.

eg8r
07-18-2003, 05:21 PM
Hey now, she will do the same to you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyways, she hates Texas. If you really want her, we will be moving on July 31. Be there with your bags. ROTFL

eg8r

eg8r
07-18-2003, 05:23 PM
That is a great idea. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have a SigelVarner cue that I can use for this purpose.

eg8r

griffith_d
07-18-2003, 06:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> This post is sort of a "What would you do". Last night, after my softball game, the team decided to go out and get something to eat and hang out since this was my last game with the team. I got to choose where we would go. My first instinct is Fox and Hound. This is a Chilis type restaurant that has a bunch of pool tables. Obviously I was a little selfish and chose a place where I could play pool and we could all gather around and hang out. I figured I would not lose a single game so I would get time to hang out with everyone.

Well, on our way to Fox and Hound, I start to grab my cues. My wife looks at me with a strange face and asks, "Why do you have to bring those. We are just going to hang out with some people and we will only be there a couple hours."

I am thinking, "Hey, I am not going to lose, so why should I have to play with a house cue for a couple hours." She did not see my point and I left the cues.

My question, when you guys are going out to just "hang" out with non-pool playing friends and you will be playing pool, do you bring your cues?

I grab them no matter what.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

I am spoiled,..if I do not bring my cues I do not play pool. I just cannot stand the sound(twing, pang, punk,...you know the sound) of a crappy house cue when it hits the CB. I would rather just drink.

Griff

heater451
07-18-2003, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't bring mine, mostly because of the type of place it is (sports bar).

There's a local sports bar that I've gone to for a Monday night tournament, on 7-footers, where some other guys brought their cues, but I just grabbed a virtually unused Valley (probably unused because it was an 18-ounce). It just seems more fitting. . . .

When I was in Cali, I would often go to my "home bar" on league nights, where I would have my cue with me, but would still play with a "seen better days" Dufferin or Valley housestick. In this case, there were two reasons: 1) I felt that my 'good' cue was for league night and a beat up stick was correct for a beat up table, and 2) I loved beating my teammate with a house stick, while he was using his own cue. (He wound up not using his later, as well.)

Any time that we were just hanging out at the bar, and someone unknown would come in with his own stick, we'd usually snicker about it, and normally beat 'em with a (crap) bar stick.

I still pretty much feel that "good" cues are for pool halls, and a house stick is used in a bar--with the occasional exception.

The overriding factor against, in your case, would be that no one else was likely to bring a cue with them. . . .Now that I think about it, you might bring two cues, and share. . . .

--Oh, I've also played at the "home bar" with a house cue, and let others, even people I'd just met, use mine against me. Of course, that happened more often with female opponents. . . . /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

=========================

Terry
07-19-2003, 04:28 AM
Hi eg8r, I wouldn't take my cues, I get no enjoyment out of playing people who are not into the game, I would rather have a few drinks and socialize while the none players enjoy the game.

This year we had are annual hockey lobster party at our house. This young guy (20) asked me if I was going to play him later, I said I don't play pool when hosting a party, I want the guests to enjoy the table. This guy starts picking and picking, so I said lets go inside and have a race to seven ( 9 ball ) before the party moves inside. Anyway I beat him 7-0, so then he says he plays better when hes not drinking would I play him the next day. He comes out to the house the next evening ( now he knows ), I was going to get him to play my daughter but I thought he might have a breakdown,LOL. When the party moves inside I position myself in my favorite party position, behind the bar,LOL. This other young guy starts beating every one and after each win he throws a challenge my way, I just laugh and wave my hand at him. Towards the end of the party this guy has not lost a game and comes to me and is almost begging me to play him saying hes going home and i'm the only one he hasn't played. I play him and now he knows.

Sorry for the rambling, but the point is if I play I want it to be with players. I 'll play anybody regardless of their skill if the have a passion for the game. Leave the cues home and have a drink. Terry

Kato
07-19-2003, 06:11 AM
Nope. As a rule, if I'm hanging out with non-playing buddies not only will I not bring a cue with me I won't play period. Most of the time if I'm with a girl she'll ask me to play and if I'm with a bunch of guys they'll ask me questions about pool.

No cues, no playing in bars.

Kato

Sid_Vicious
07-19-2003, 10:07 AM
I most always have a SP in the trunk anyway, but I don't wag in my cue case when hanging out with non playing friends. It DOES come out if by some chance "a game" finds me. The wife was probably more right in this case(IMO)...sid

Sid_Vicious
07-19-2003, 10:16 AM
"Now that I think about it, you might bring two cues, and share. . . "

I always bulk up my 3x6 Porper with loaners when I go to the relatives for a visit. It's fun letting my brother use my Viking or the Falcon SP, he's not an avid player at all but the fun factor overrides the difference...sid~~~loans cues only to a trusted few

bolo
07-19-2003, 11:37 AM
I always have a cue with me, people that know you play pool, I don't think see it as showing off. They want to see you play good when they say "watch this guy play". I remember going to a dinner party one time at someone's luxury home. There were political and business big shots there including the Governor. I should explain, my sister-in-law is married to a powerful lobbyist in our state and this stuff is no big deal to go to. We even get world series games and super bowl tickets every year. Anyway this home bad a beautiful billiard room in it and later on that night people were gathering in the billiard room and playing. I did not go near the table till someone who knew me asked me to play some for the people, maybe do some trick shots. I had a cue in the car and my wife got my cue and I played a little. I was glad I had my cue because some of the stuff I did I don't think I could do with just some house cue. To make a long story short, by the end of the night I was easily receiving more attention then the Governor at the party. I also met someone that night that made a significant difference in my financial life over the following year. It is interesting, all they wanted to hear was gun fighting and gambling stories. That kind of stuff is what appeals to the common public it seems. I have had this happen before, where people that are very accomplished in their own field, actually treat you like you are some kind of celebrity because you play pool. With all their money, they can't buy what you can do and they seem to really respect that. That may be the allure with all sports players that get them what seems like undeserved respect for just playing a stupid sport. I bet Fran and Keith could tell you hundreds on stories how playing pool has networked them in to places and opportunities they may have never have gotten. I got a little off the subject but it jogged some thoughts.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-19-2003, 12:15 PM
A pool player always brings his cues, just in case they need them, as you can see here:

http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/showpicture.cfm?eventnum=5&amp;photographernum=1&amp;picnu m=96

Seriously to answer your question, it depends /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I'm going to a place that has decent house cues I'll just take a tip scuffer and a cube of Masters chalk. Some places that I know have house cues that are virtually unusable or if I think I might get a decent game I'll throw a sneaky pete in the car.

Socially, outside of my pool friends, I usually don't run into anybody who I can't beat. But I don't make it a habit to hold the table all night and just beat up on people. If somebody goads me into a game I'll play a few games just to shut them up and then relinquish the table back to the recreational players.

I was at a firend's house one night and some young guy there was bragging how he "hustled pool" in college. So I had to play him of course. He was a pretty good player, not great. We were playing on a Kasson table with weird side pockets (they were really shallow with a deep shelf) Those pockets cost me a couple of games. I think he beat me 5-3 or something. That night I wished I had a cue with me. I might have broke even with him.

rackmup
07-19-2003, 06:54 PM
Next time the conversation should go like this:

Ed: "Honey, some of the people I play ball with want to get together at Fox and Hound for a little going away dinner. Is that okay with you sweetheart?"

Heather "Sure."

Ed "I chose Fox and Hound because I thought it would be a nicer place for you instead of one of those sleazy strip clubs we usually go to after the games. Is that okay Honey Pie?"

Heather "Sure."

Ed "I hope I haven't embarrassed you. I've told all of the guys what a great pool player you are and I'm certain they might want to play a couple of games against you. That is why we need to run by the apartment and pick up your cues. Okay Sugar Dumpling?"

Heather "Umm...sure Ed. Have you been drinking?"

Ed "Drinking? What on earth could you mean? Alcohol? Of course not. The only drink I have had today is the same one I have had everyday since becoming the luckiest man on earth my little pookum wookums."

Heather "Ed. What are you talking about?"

Ed "I'm talking about the thirst satisfying drink that I have each and every day. It's when I drink in your beauty. It's a beverage I simply cannot get enough of. Now, about those cues...let's go get them my tasty little tidbit of amore'."

Heather "Ed, did you hit your head on something today?"

Ed "I sure did. I hit it on the constant reminder of how wonderful you are my little chiquita love dove. I love you so much. Um...I'll wait here while you run in and grab the cues you little sexy kitten."

Heather "Ed. Pull over right now and let me drive before you get pulled over."

Ed "Sure love bunny. Like the genie in the bottle says, "Your wish is my command" my little trove of hot molten love."

Heather "Ed, you're acting a little wierd. Why don't you go without me. I need to call...er...my mom and...er...ask her something..."

Ed "Sure you sexy little gift of all that I crave..."

<font color="red">My point</font color>:

Appeal to her need for affirmation of being loved and needed. Once accomplished, the cues will become a non-issue.

Or, as illustrated above...make her think you have lost your mind and while you are enjoying an evening with the guys, she'll be packed and gone before you ever get home.

Problem Solved!

Regards,

Ken (doing what I can to help the marriage-confined men of the world. Hey...normally you would pay big bucks for this kind of sage advice.)

eg8r
07-19-2003, 08:06 PM
ROTFL. Ken that was great. She would definitely think I am out of my mind if I was talking like that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

eg8r
07-19-2003, 08:09 PM
I generally do not really care who I am playing against, just as long as I get to play.

It was funny, there were two people there, that were talking about how they used to play in college and their "game" was 9 ball. Then I saw them get in their stance and I knew the real truth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank you everyone for your opinions, I will probably not be bringing my cues from now on, if we are going to just hang out.

eg8r

eg8r
07-19-2003, 08:12 PM
I just read this to Heather. When I got to the .... [ QUOTE ]
Heather "Ed, did you hit your head on something today?"

Ed "I sure did. I hit it on the constant reminder of how wonderful you are my little chiquita love dove. I love you so much. Um...I'll wait here while you run in and grab the cues you little sexy kitten."
<hr /></blockquote> I started cracking up and could not finish. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

rackmup
07-20-2003, 09:28 AM
...you are a very lucky guy to have someone like Heather. I mean, there are probably not too many "significant others" who will spend their entire day watching the likes of OPC, myself and you play pool all day, quietly tolerate the never-ending woofing and fetch Tommy's burgers for us when we get hungry.

The 10-ball ring games we played were priceless.

She is also a very attractive woman, very sweet in her demeanor and just generally pleasant to be around.

To be brutally honest, I'm going to miss her a whole lot more than I'm going to miss you.

HeHe,

Ken (yup...gonna miss that couple but I'll be in Pompano Aug. 19-23 if you want to have a "reunion".)

Qtec
07-20-2003, 08:31 PM
I hate to see a player with a good cue who cant play. Dont you ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec

rackmup
07-20-2003, 08:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>I hate to see a player with a good cue who cant play. <hr /></blockquote>

You know nothing about what you are talking about...he owns a Meucci.

His wife on the other hand is in the category of a museum quality Richard Black.

Regards,

Ken (dislikes Meucci cues. Likes Ed's wife.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Qtec
07-20-2003, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Know the feeling. She gives you that ," Are you some kind of wierdo? Who takes a pool cue to dinner? " look. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You didnt tell us how you got on , champ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

rackmup
07-20-2003, 08:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec re: eg8r:</font><hr> Are you some kind of wierdo? <hr /></blockquote>

Pick me! Pick me! I know the answer!

Regards,

Ken (Alex Trebec: The answer is "wierdo."
Jeopardy! contestant: "What is eg8r?")

eg8r
07-21-2003, 03:55 AM
I did not even get the look. She came out and said it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was a champ. The only reason why I am a little happy about the outcome was that, I never beat people who do not play pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif This is one of the few times when I got up and beat them. Won every game for about 2 hours. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a concentration problem and when the guy I am playing is horrible, I play horrible also (more horrible than normal /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

eg8r