PDA

View Full Version : Friend wants to get a fiberglass Excalibur cue

teen1216
07-18-2003, 08:58 PM
When playing pool with a friend tonight he asked me if I knew anything about fiberglass cues. He proceeded to tell me he was looking at an Excalibur for 99 bucks or so. I asked him if he liked the feel, and he said yes, he wouldn't need powder. I personally like wood, but I told him if he liked the feel then maybe it was a good choice. Anyone know anything about Excalibur fiberglass cues or good experiences with fiberglass cues in particular?

Kato
07-19-2003, 07:13 AM
You won't find many here to endorse a fiberglass cue. You also don't need powder with a wooden cue.

You asked your friend if he liked the feel. Has he compared it to wooden cues?

Kato~~~does not like synthetic cues.

Rich R.
07-19-2003, 07:59 AM
Lock your friend in a closet for the next month and maybe he will come to his senses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

After the house cues, for my home table, warped badly, I purchased a variety of inexpensive two piece cues for it. One of the cues is either solid fiberglass or fiberglass clad. I'm not sure which and I'm not sure if it was an Excaliber or not. It was purchased through Mueller's a couple years ago, for about $100, but it is not in their current catalog.

I hate the thing. It is terrible. You may as well hit balls with a lead pipe. The ferrule keeps coming loose. The only positive thing is, that it has not warped.
Tell your friend to forget that stuff about not using powder. The fiberglass gets much stickier than any wood cue I have ever used.

One of the wood cues, I got from Mueller's at the same time, only cost $50, with a case, and plays as good if not better than some of the better known production cues I have tried. I'm sure, for that price, the consistency may not be good and I may have just gotten lucky, but the cue does play very nice.

Tell your friend to look around a little more.
Well, after you let him out of the closet, you can tell him that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman
07-19-2003, 08:02 AM
Friends don't let friends use a plastic cue... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Smack that boy up side the head and make him go buy a wooden sneaky pete for $99

Having said that, I have played with Excalibur wooden house cues ($25) and they are not bad at all.

Fiberglas is for making boat hulls, not pool cues.

nhp
07-20-2003, 07:45 AM
Tell your friend to keep his hands and cue clean and he wont need powder for a wooden cue. All of those graphite and fiberglass cues are junk.