PDA

View Full Version : EARL Rants on Live TV at WPC !!!

clarence
07-19-2003, 03:15 AM
Got this infro via email from a friend from the Philippines. Here are some things I was told.

This is a what Earl said shortly before his match with Steve davis and Earl. Earl was being interviewed by a beautiful girl live ON TV before millions of fans worldwide and this was how it SHOCKINGLY went

Girl : How do you feel...
Earl : I feel fine. Im all alone. Im an AMerican Im the worse person here.
Girl : how so....
Earl When the guy was practicing his announcing of the names when the crowd heard my name they all boed
Girl : when your playing a home crowd favorite you can expect the crowd to be on his side
Earl. I dont care if Im playing a marsian . You dont do that to people . Thats disrespectful
Girl : It is disrespectful but at the end of the day your still WC champ and if you get it again it would be amazing...
Earl : obviously people here dont want me to win it
Girl : BUt americans back home will
Earl I dont sit around heckling & doing perterbing thins to players like these fans do and players themselves. THey need to learn how to give respect . Im not a bad guy . Im a good person
Girl : I agree its disrespctful and what they did was wrong but we do have a big crowd
Earl ( interupts girl talking ) For davis and the other players NOT ME
Girl : Lets just hope it will be a good match and you get the support you need
Earl : I hope davis wins the tournament and show how disgraceful this game is. Pockets are weird , corner balls goin in when breaking on the side . If they make it a little tougher. Davis would not be in this position
Girl : Did you register a complain about this ?
Earl : Well this whole event revolves around davis. Not me or the other players. So when you guys figure out it should revoleve around others and not just one player he (davis) wont make it
Girl : Is this a problem you get only here and not elsewhere
Earl. Everywhere I go they bo and Heckle me but Im still able to win even though IM being disturbed. If thats how the people want it then so be it. Americans dont to that to other players when they come to america. thats all I wants to say . ( after saying this he turns his back and walk away from the girl even though the girl has yet to say thans for the interview )
Girl : ( gives his thank to earl who has his backed turned on her )

When the players were introduced he was not boed . He got appalauded too even during the match itself when he did well. There may have been a few guys who taunted him a few times but not loudly as the referee would not take that from the crowd.

During the match itself with Davis was about to break for the 9th rack (davis lead 5 to 3) . Earl was talking to a few guys on his back and said F*** Y** Aswhole. The lady referree came over to warn him not to distureb davis and Earl said Shut up to the lady ref. Davis was disgusted and walked away to have a comfort break. This was the only time during the match where the crowd was really booing earl During this break the lady ref went to earl again and told him not to disrespect hereT. One of the tournament discipline or rule comitee member had to be around to watch over this match to see if Earl would continue to misbehave.

When Davis came back he got a wild applause from the crowd and Earl covered his ears. Surprisingly as the mathced continued the crowd showed its class by continuing to applaud earl when he runs out or make a tough shot or safety. (IS THIS THE DISRESPECTFUL CROWD Earl described in the interview he did shortly BEFORE this match !!!)

On the 2nd to the last game when Steve missed Earl stood up and shouted JUSTICE. Now isn't this disgraceful of Earl and he has the nerves to talk about respect.

ps : Earl likwise used his extended fingers on a few shots like the previous match. Yes its 4 plastic tubes wrapped with some cloth which he inserts his fingers into to get extra elavation.

Qtec
07-19-2003, 04:04 AM
He,s a great player, no doubt about that, but what an ass____e!!

http://members.lycos.nl/agli2/

bluewolf
07-19-2003, 04:58 AM
Who won the match?

Laura

BillPorter
07-19-2003, 05:27 AM
Earl won 11 to 9.

Qtec
07-19-2003, 05:34 AM
The ass***le won 11-9.

He should have been disqualified. On the first break, Davis is at the table and Earl turns round and begins to talk to the crowd. He continued to ack like a poll hall hustler/ shark who is not prepared to play his opponent on an equal footing . He wants an edge. He doesnt matter how he gets it . Its got nothing to do with the game.

Now I know why American pool is not considered a proper sport ; I found it embarassing to watch his off the table performance.

Check out my page for photos.

Qtec

jjinfla
07-19-2003, 06:27 AM
You title your post "Rants" and then post the interview. Well, I am still waiting for the "ranting". And Davis had to go to the "comfort room". PUUUlease. LOL Read the article in AZB. Strickland overcomes Davis and a raucous crowd. Well Earl is right now in the top eight in the WORLD. Ya na Da Dah Da. You go Earl. Jake---our old High School football fans in Chicago would put you pikers to shame.

Keith McCready
07-19-2003, 06:41 AM
Qtec, give the kid a break. There he is, in another country, trying to do his best, and all the railbirds are heckling him. It's hard enough to compete, with the best players in the world, and here you are snapping pictures of him to put on your website, attempting to make him look bad. I'm proud of Earl, and I just hope he's got what it takes to pull through this.

If American pool is so bad, you should ask some of your European counterparts why they keep coming over here to the States to compete in our events.

Earthquake ---->(Come on, Earl, keep it going!)

Deeman
07-19-2003, 06:48 AM
Tap!, Tap!, Tap!

cuechick
07-19-2003, 07:00 AM
That would be hearsay sir and inamissable in a cout of law...

further more...
AZ Billiards seems to support Earl's side of the story:

"Strickland beats Davis and crowd to get to WPC Final 8

Earl Strickland overcame a raucous crowd and more importantly, a determined Steve Davis, to make it into the final 8 at the 2003 empirepoker.com World Pool Championship on Friday.

The match between Davis and Strickland was a rematch of the final match from the Mosconi Cup last year, and the crowd made no secret of their pulling for Davis. The match was marred by outbursts from both the crowd and players. Davis and Strickland fought it out the whole way, with both players trading leads and neither player able to get out to a lead of more than 2 games. A table run by Strickland at 9-9 allowed him to get to the hill, followed by a shaky win in the next game for the 11-9 victory."

I think, we have no idea of the intensity of the crowds over there, it is a whole other pool world! The size of the event and the fever of the play is SOOOO much bigger than anything we see here. And with Steve Davis being a hometown fav...very tough for any opponant. Earl being the ultra sensitive guy he is, even more so...
I am just amazed at how quick everyone snaps to judgement!!
I did think of the perfect title for the match..."A Redneck in King Davis's Court"

And I mean 'redneck' in a nice way
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif!

Deeman
07-19-2003, 07:18 AM
Us rednecks ressemble that remark! But, as long as it is meant in such a loving way...

Most of us have no idea how hard it is to be one of the finest athletes in the world with so little recognition and respect. Try eaking out a living in pool, climb to the very top and then have to deal with the travel, the poor purses, the fans that like to get any rise out of a player.

I am just happy Earl has hung in there so well for the USA.

Fran Crimi
07-19-2003, 08:26 AM
I wasn't there, of course, so I don't have first hand knowledge of what happened, but can anyone answer why it is that controversy follows Earl wherever he goes? Does it just happen to fall down upon him or does he have something to do with it?

They call Jim Rempe "King James" because of the many times he's played in England and other places in Europe. He was always well respected and admired by the fans there.

Personally, I think Earl should have kept his mouth shut and his play would have won the fans over. He flies off the handle too quickly.

Fran

L.S. Dennis
07-19-2003, 08:38 AM
"The Keither with the ether" is exactly right. I hope Earl pulls this thing out. Earl is Earl, he's there under fire in hostile conditions. I still support him regardless of whatever pool pesona he might display.

I say "Go Earl" and bring this thing back home!

cuechick
07-19-2003, 08:57 AM
You know Fran, I hear what your saying but I just don't agree. Part of what makes sports interesting and entertaining, are the personalities. I don't think Earl should play anyway but his own way. Certainly I have seen players take it over the top, I was not amused by Vivian's sportsmanship at the BCA the season before last...but that is just me.
Growing up I was a big fan of Mac Enroes and I just found watching him play fasinating. And I found the 'gentleman' Borg...boring...
I think our struggling sport needs all the personality it can get...IMHO /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bolo
07-19-2003, 09:31 AM
"Now I know why American pool is not considered a proper sport "

as compared to what, snooker? Between alcoholism and scandal, I would not be saying anything.

Keith Talent
07-19-2003, 10:10 AM
For sure, Earl's the Johnny Mac of pool. Everything's a conspiracy against him, and he's got the same sort of perfectionism, fire and desperation to win.

So does this mean he'll mellow after he retires and become a genial, if a little spiky, and beloved commentator? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopster
07-19-2003, 10:28 AM
For sure, Earl's the Johnny Mac of pool. Everything's a conspiracy against him, and he's got the same sort of perfectionism, fire and desperation to win. <--Keith Talent

From the interview above, he sort of reminds me of the Mike Tyson of Pool. Wonder if he will bite anyones ear off before its over. lol

bluewolf
07-19-2003, 10:43 AM
I like to see a little personality. So what if he loses it now and again. Just shows he is human like all the rest of us. And last time I checked--nobody is perfect /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bw

Wally_in_Cincy
07-19-2003, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr>
.....I think, we have no idea of the intensity of the crowds over there, ......<hr /></blockquote>

Plus the fact that they're all drunk LOL

cheesemouse
07-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Wally,
LMAO..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't like your politics but I do like your sence of humor.....GET'M EARL......HEY, BABY.......

Qtec
07-19-2003, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> Qtec, give the kid a break. There he is, in another country, trying to do his best, and all the railbirds are heckling him. It's hard enough to compete, with the best players in the world, and here you are snapping pictures of him to put on your website, attempting to make him look bad. I'm proud of Earl, and I just hope he's got what it takes to pull through this.

<font color="blue"> Keith , you are breaking my heart. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Just for you I will post other pictures that show Earl in a good light. It might take me a while though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

If American pool is so bad, you should ask some of your European counterparts why they keep coming over here to the States to compete in our events.

Earthquake ----&gt;(Come on, Earl, keep it going!) <hr /></blockquote>

I am not saying the American players are not good. Exactly the opposite. I think Earl demeans himself with his obvious attempts to put the other player off his stroke .He is good enough to win without it.

Earl draws attention to himself, he is provocative . I think he needs to do it to get himself going. He cant complain .

I have the incident taped and what happened on the first break was this.

Earl breaks . No balls potted , open table . Steve, on the FIRST shot , before any controversy , is potting a ball into the side pocket , straight facing Earl . Steve is about to shoot and Earl turns to someone in the crowd and starts talking to him.

After this some comments were directed to Earl from the crowd and he got the hump. Suddenly , HE was the victom.

To get respect you have to show it , and he didnt.

Mostly he behaved like a kid that dropped his ice-cream.

Qtec

Wally_in_Cincy
07-19-2003, 11:42 AM
I'm serious man /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Did you watch the Mosconi Cup? A hall full of beer-sodden Brits and Dutchmen. I thought I was watching a soccer...er, football game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-19-2003, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
....Steve is about to shoot and Earl turns to someone in the crowd and starts talking to him.....<hr /></blockquote>

If that's what really what happened then that sucks. I've trashed Fong-Pang Chao in the past for sharking like that so Earl will not get a pass on this one. I would like to hear his side of the story though.

Slasher
07-19-2003, 11:53 AM
Gotta wonder about people sometimes.
Alex Higgins was a complete [censored] yet the fans loved him.
Earl pulls stunts no where near as bad and gets raked for it.
You go Earl!

Hopster
07-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Plus the fact that they're all drunk LOL &lt;--Wally

Ya think they drink to amounts that are considered excessive over there ?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vagabond
07-19-2003, 12:18 PM
As an ex soccer hooligan ( yes,I was)I can imagine how the crowd in cardiff might have behaved towards Earl.Earl stood up and I am proud of my fellow red neck brother.cheers
Vagabond

Fran Crimi
07-19-2003, 12:57 PM
I think you're right that different personalities are what makes sports interesting. As for McEnroe, I think he was a spoiled brat and deserved a public spanking at times, but that's just me.

I also think there's a time and place for such 'entertaining-type' behavior, and the worst time and place is when you're out there representing your country in an international event.

Fran

Fran Crimi
07-19-2003, 01:12 PM
One more thing I forgot to add...

The referee gave him a warning and he told her to shut up. I can't believe it. You NEVER tell the ref to shut up. He's lucky they didn't toss him right then and there.

Fran

TomBrooklyn
07-19-2003, 01:14 PM
The best of all possible Earl's would be a gentlemen who wins.

Second best is a bad boy who wins.

A gentlemen who loses is third.

=TomBk

Vagabond
07-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Howdy Cue Chick,
At last u were kind to a`Redneck`.May be your relocation to Georgia from NewYork has influenced your perception of rednecks. Thank u for your kindness.cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

L.S. Dennis
07-19-2003, 07:15 PM
Well alas Earl's out of it. Now I'm sure there'll be lots of people taking shots at him for what happened in Cardiff.

I still say Earl' behavior is just good (or bad depending on you persuasion)theater! I'd like to see what the tv ratings were for his last match, I'm sure they went through the roof! Like or not folks this is what people love to see, pool has become too steril and is losing traction in the public's eye.

I remember watching an interview with some exec from ESPN some time ago and the question came up of more pool on tv. He said, and I'm paraphrasing now, "If I could get Earl Strickland on more often we'd air a lot more of it. Point being Earl does nothing but good things for tv ratings and in the end isn't that what we're all looking for?

I remember Mohamud Ali in his heyday duing the early 70's people didn't like him either for all his antics and outspokenness, but look what he did for boxing. Samething with Earl. We need more like him if pool is ever going to garner more of the nation's and the world's attention.

Hopster
07-19-2003, 10:00 PM
I remember Mohamud Ali in his heyday duing the early 70's people didn't like him either for all his antics and outspokenness, but look what he did for boxing. Samething with Earl. We need more like him if pool is ever going to garner more of the nation's and the world's attention. &lt;--L.S.

Can be a two edged sword though. Boxing was covered big time, pool isnt. People might get the perception that all pool players are loud mouthed sore losing idiots. Then again, maybe not. Picutre someone who hasnt watched pool before turning on a match and theres Earl going ballistic, whats the person going to think ?
Me myself, i dont really like his tantrums. He was playing a match and it was against some japanese guy and the jap took out a jump cue for a shot and Earl made some comments to him like " Be a man, put that thing away" That kind of stuff isnt called for.

L.S. Dennis
07-19-2003, 11:47 PM
Hopster,
I can understand your feelings and I do respect them. I too went through a love/hate thing with regard to Earl and his antics but at this point I'm willing to acept them as just part of his character. I mean who else would tell the ref to "shut up" then come down with a bouque of flower for her the next day. It's just Earl, take it all with a grain of salt and enjoy some long needed color this game so richly needs!

Fran Crimi
07-20-2003, 12:09 AM
I'm surprised you're condoning this behavior, Dennis. Earl wasn't having a fight with his girlfriend where he bought her a bouquet of flowers to make up. He told a world referee to shut up. Maybe they couldn't throw him out because it would cause problems with the betting pools.

Fran

L.S. Dennis
07-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Fran,
As with Hopster I respect what you say and your feelings about Earl and what he does. Definetely the instances you point out were over the top and inexcusable. But the guy does add some color to this game that's indisputable.

The guy is definetely and enigma, how he can say that about Efren is beyond me and I don't condone that. On the other hand do you remember "the good Earl" when he lifted Efren's arm in triumph after Efren made that incredible "Z" shot in case game in the finals at the Sands a few years ago?

Jekell and Hyde for sure, guess I like a little of both in him! Dennis

Ralph S.
07-20-2003, 02:08 AM
Time for me to jump in this mess and offer my thoughts. Earl Strickland has one of those volatile type personalities. Some call it colorful. Vivian Villarreal is another. Every sport has them, some more than others. Tennis had McEnroe, basketball had Barkley and Rodman. The NFL has there share too. Like Romanowski, L.T., and too many to mention. Baseball had Ty Cobb.

The bottom line is this; for all the fans that the "well behaved" players draw to the game, the "colorful" ones will draw roughly the same amount or more depending on the individual in question.

GO EARL GO!!!!!!!!

Hopster
07-20-2003, 02:12 AM
Fran,
As with Hopster I respect what you say and your feelings about Earl and what he does. Definetely the instances you point out were over the top and inexcusable. But the guy does add some color to this game that's indisputable.

The guy is definetely and enigma, how he can say that about Efren is beyond me and I don't condone that. On the other hand do you remember "the good Earl" when he lifted Efren's arm in triumph after Efren made that incredible "Z" shot in case game in the finals at the Sands a few years ago? &lt;--L.S.

Definetly a jekyll and hyde, lol.
What did he say about Efren or to Efren ? I missed that.
I did get to see him play Paul Brienza in vegas last month and after Paul missed a shot that would enable Earl to run out and win, he stood up out of the chair and yelled "YEAAAAAAAAAAH" and walked up and made the last 2 or whatever it was. Anyway, that kind of struck me a Sh###y thing to do. Totally tasteless. After he won he had some running commentary with some spectators.
But like you said, thats Earl love him or hate him or both. lol

Fran Crimi
07-20-2003, 07:50 AM
Dennis, you must have read my post just as I wrote it because I went back and took out the part about Efren. I figured there's no benefit in bringing that stuff up again.

Earl has started a mudslide for himself that's going to be tough to stop. I've never heard of billiard spectators booing somebody just because they're rooting for their opponent. They boo when they see poor sportsmanship. And if they bood Earl right from the introductions, that's a bad sign. It means he's already established himself in that way to those fans. IMO, Earl's got a lot of work to do if he wants to turn this around.

I'm not sure if he's ready to understand the real reasons for the spectators' animosity towards him. He's got to stop thinking he's being bood just because he's an American, or because he's a top competitor. Sure, that kind of stuff does happen sometimes but I don't think that's what's going on here.

Fran

Wally_in_Cincy
07-20-2003, 08:03 AM
If you ever read any posts at the Matchroom Sports forum you will get an idea of how the rest of the world, for the most part, holds Earl in utter disdain.

Hopster
07-20-2003, 10:22 AM
If you ever read any posts at the Matchroom Sports forum you will get an idea of how the rest of the world, for the most part, holds Earl in utter disdain. &lt;--Wally

Could you post a link for the site Wally ? I would appreciate it.

Qtec
07-20-2003, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for McEnroe, I think he was a spoiled brat and deserved a public spanking at times, but that's just me.
<hr /></blockquote>

I think thats just you ,Fran. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I also think there's a time and place for such 'entertaining-type' behavior, and the worst time and place is when you're out there representing your country in an international event.

<hr /></blockquote>

Earl wasnt playing for his country, he was playing for himself. The fact that he is American has nothing to do with his behaviour.
Not liking the guy does make me want to watch him though.

You need personalities to make the sport interesting.You have the good guys , the not so good guys and the bad guys. Earl can be all three.

What people seem to forget is that Earl is in his 40,s. The new W.Champ is in his 20,s. As in snooker , pool is becoming a young man,s game.[ 9b].The older you get , the more difficult it is to motivate youself. Earl,s antics are more to do with getting himself in the right frame of mind, but sometimes he does become unsporting.

Q

poolmouse
07-20-2003, 09:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> Qtec, give the kid a break. There he is, in another country, trying to do his best, and all the railbirds are heckling him. It's hard enough to compete, with the best players in the world, and here you are snapping pictures of him to put on your website, attempting to make him look bad. I'm proud of Earl, and I just hope he's got what it takes to pull through this.

Earthquake ----&gt;(Come on, Earl, keep it going!) <hr /></blockquote>

I continue to respect Earl for his incredible talent. Unfortunately, he has colored other aspects of himself in a less attractive light.

My fingers were crossed for Earl. Maybe next year.

Poolmouse

Fran Crimi
07-20-2003, 09:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
As for McEnroe, I think he was a spoiled brat and deserved a public spanking at times, but that's just me.
<hr /></blockquote>

I think thats just you ,Fran. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

<hr /></blockquote>

Earl wasnt playing for his country, he was playing for himself. The fact that he is American has nothing to do with his behaviour.

<font color="blue"> No, they play for both themselves and their countries. Don't you remember last year when Bustamante's baby daughter died while he was at the world championships, and he and his family decided it would be best for him to stay and continue to play because he didn't want to let his country down? They're playing for their countries out there, and don't think for a minute that they're not. </font color>

Not liking the guy does make me want to watch him though.

<font color="blue"> I'm sure it does. It's fun watching someone make a fool out of himself, isn't it? That is, as long as it's not you doing it. </font color>

You need personalities to make the sport interesting.
You have the good guys , the not so good guys and the bad guys. Earl can be all three.

<font color="blue"> Think about what you're saying. Excellence alone isn't good enough. Sure, different personalities are what makes life interesting, and that goes for sports too, but enjoying watching someone having a temper tantrum or exhibiting poor sportsmanship is sick. </font color>

What people seem to forget is that Earl is in his 40,s. The new W.Champ is in his 20,s. As in snooker , pool is becoming a young man,s game.[ 9b].The older you get , the more difficult it is to motivate youself. Earl,s antics are more to do with getting himself in the right frame of mind, but sometimes he does become unsporting.

<font color="blue"> Earl was the same way when he was 16. </font color>

Q <hr /></blockquote>

ted harris
07-20-2003, 10:56 PM
There is a definite anti-Earl movement over there. Most of the anti-Earl sentiment comes from people posting with the Philippines as there country of origin. There are however, a few anti-Earler's from other countries as well. There is also a Pro-Earl movement as well. The Pro-Earl movement seems to be much larger than the Anti-Earl movement, IMHO.

Qtec
07-21-2003, 12:05 AM
OUCH! I guess you dont like Earl much ?

I wasnt defending him, I was just saying I can understand why he is doing it .

Q

Qtec
07-21-2003, 12:12 AM
First read Fran,s post above.

This is quote from Kieth Mc.Ready

[ QUOTE ]
Qtec, give the kid a break. There he is, in another country, trying to do his best, and all the railbirds are heckling him. It's hard enough to compete, with the best players in the world, and here you are snapping pictures of him to put on your website, attempting to make him look bad. I'm proud of Earl, and I just hope he's got what it takes to pull through this.
<hr /></blockquote>

I just cant win . /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
07-21-2003, 06:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> OUCH! I guess you dont like Earl much ?

I wasnt defending him, I was just saying I can understand why he is doing it .

Q <hr /></blockquote>

I don't dislike Earl. I was criticizing his behavior. I feel bad for him. He hates what's happeneing to him right now. He doesn't enjoy it like some other bad boys might. I rode up with him in an elevator at the Vegas Tournament last year, right after he had some words with spectators during his match, and all he kept saying is "I'm really a nice guy. I'm really a nice guy."

He dug a hole for himself and he's going to have a heck of a time climbing out.

Fran

Fran Crimi
07-21-2003, 06:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> First read Fran,s post above.

This is quote from Kieth Mc.Ready

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
<hr /></blockquote>

I just cant win . /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Why is this about you? It's not about you. It's about Earl. And don't try to pit Keith and I up against each other. It's not going to work. I know him very well and he knows where I'm coming from just like I know where he's coming from.

Fran

Rich R.
07-21-2003, 08:02 AM
I have seen Earl play in a number of matches in several tournaments.

When the crowd gets on him, he certainly strikes back, instead of ignoring them, as other players would do.

When the crowd is quiet and respectful, he starts talking to them and gets them to talk back to him. He can't seem to let them just quietly watch the match.

I believe he may feed off the energy of the crowd, in some way.

On the other hand, Earl's interaction with the crowd is very distracting to the other player and disrespectful. It also distracts players on any other tables, near by.

I don't know if he means to do it as a sharking technique, but it ends up being just that. Earl's behavior can take another player right out of their game.

I don't think he should, or needs, to distract the other players in this way and tournament directors should start warning him about it.

I like personalities in sports, but there is a time and a place for everything. When a players personality, and not his/her play, starts affecting the opponent, it is time to stop.

L.S. Dennis
07-21-2003, 08:11 AM
I too rode with Earl in the elevator at the Sands some time ago and found him to be genuinely personable and polite. He even asked me how I was doing in the tournament (although I wasn't even playing in it) but it was still a nice touch. This is mister Hyde or the "good Earl". Although I mentioned it before, I'll never forget how he raised Efren's arm in victory after Efren made that incredible "Z" shot in case game at the Sands some time ago. Once again, the good Earl, I just wish we could see more of that.

Qtec
07-21-2003, 10:47 AM
First of all , thre is no way that I am trying to "pit"you against Kieth. Only someone who is suffering from paranoia would think that.
I noticed that you jumped on Sid not too long ago for agreeing with you ! Maybe you need help.

I was just pointing out that many people are hostile to me , I geuss because of my political ideas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When you speak Fran , does somebody immediately carve your words into stone ? No?.... That means that what you say IS ONLY YOUR OPINION. Everybody has one .

I dont play mind games .

I think you owe me an apology for thinking the worst of me.

I have not once insulted anyone on this board. Do you know how hard that is for a guy like me . /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lighten up Fran . Chill out.

Q

Fran Crimi
07-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Well put, Dennis. Me too. I wish we could see more of the nice Earl.

Fran

Fran Crimi
07-21-2003, 05:29 PM
I have an opinion just like you do, but I back my opinion up with FACTS and when I don't have the facts, I make sure that I make it clear in my statement. I've seen you repeatedly make statements, for example, like "Earl wasn't playing for his country, he was playing for himself" with absolutely no facts to back that up. How can you state something like that as if it were a fact? Did you say, well, I would guess that Earl probably isn't playing for his country but more likely for himself? Nope. You state it as if you know it to be fact.

You call everyone's attention to Keith's post and then my post and then do the "poor me" thing and say you can't win. That's kids stuff.

No, I'm not paranoid. Are you?

I really don't care what your political views are. Apparently you've taken some heat on that and now you think everyone's out to get you. Wrong. I'm not out to get you. I think you've posted some good stuff here. As for my post to sid, you weren't here long enough to understand it.

Apology? Well, that's a tough one, but okay. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding on my end. What about you? Are you without flaw here??? I'm sure you're a nice person face to face. So am I. Besides, I happen to love tulips and your country has the best tulips in the world. I just ordered 165 bulbs from the Netherlands to plant this fall.

Fran

Qtec
07-22-2003, 12:48 AM
Thank you Fran for being so reasonable in your reply.

The fact is , however you see it, the WPC is for individuals and not a team event. Its dog eat dog all the way.
What you are talking about, [ I presume] ,is that any time a sportsman/woman plays abroad , they automatically represent their country and a lot of people would agree with you. People who saw Earls antics are inclined to see him as a US player first and a top pool player second. When people talk about this incident they will say ,"whats his name ? That American player".
On the first televised WPC [at least here in Holland], he could have done it better. What kind of reception do you think he will get next year?

Rodney Morris lost to Alex P when he put his cue on the table. Did you see that? At 10-10 , race to 11, Rod lets go of his cue and a foul is called . Alex runs out next shot. What a way to lose.

BTW, I am not paranoid. I KNOW everybody is out to get me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

In the game against Steve, you could see that Earl was nervous. I think he talks to the crowd for his own reasons , not always to put the other player off. I personally think if you want to talk , then do it on your own shot, but if you do it when the other player is shooting , its sharking.

TomBrooklyn
07-22-2003, 01:28 AM
I don't really care how he talked. I just wanted him to win. For the USA.

=TomBk

Keith McCready
07-22-2003, 06:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>Rodney Morris lost to Alex P when he put his cue on the table. Did you see that? At 10-10, race to 11, Rod lets go of his cue and a foul is called. Alex runs out next shot. What a way to lose.<hr /></blockquote>

What happened? It is hard to believe Rodney, with his vast knowledge and experience playing in numerous events, would commit a foul. Were the rules given to all players beforehand?

Earthquake

DoomCue
07-22-2003, 08:37 AM
Absolutely, they discussed the rules beforehand. The foul was called earlier in the tournament on a Filipino player, too. I think Rodney just lost his head for a minute, it happens. I saw Ismael Paez rake the balls after dogging the 10 ball at the Charlotte 10 ball when he was up 8-7 against Shannon Daulton. He had to have known there was a game penalty, plus loss of the current game, but he was so pissed about missing an easy shot, he lost his head. That gave Shannon the match, and he didn't even have to shoot the last couple of games.

djb

Aboo
07-22-2003, 01:46 PM
I don't understand why talking to teh crowd is a bad thing. Pool derives it's roots from back room parlor's, game rooms and people's own home pool rooms. I have never been to a tournament or a pool hall where people were "shushed" so someone could shoot. This is NOT golf! How could someone ever rise through the ranks of the Professional Pool world and not be able to focus their mind on their own game? If he's talking to you, ask him to shut it till your done shooting. If he's talking to someone else, and not screaming, lets be reasonable. Well then mind your own business and stop trying to listen in on his conversations.

Now, that being said, I think Earl is kind of spoiled. When you lose, lose gracefully. It's one thing to be frustrated with your game, it's quite another to blame your loss on someone/something else every time you lose.

Fran Crimi
07-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Many players talk to spectators, even in golf, and that's fine. But talking while your opponent is shooting is not only unprofessional, it's against the rules. You can not distract your opponent while he or she is shooting, and talking is considered a distraction.

The problem is the inconsistency with which pro organizations enforce the distraction rule. There usually has to be a complaint from the opponent first, which I think is wrong. If there's a ref, then the player should be automatically warned the first time, fined the second time and then disqualified the third time.

In the same light, the ref should have the jurisdiction to toss out a spectator who heckles or antagonizes a player.

Fran

tateuts
07-22-2003, 05:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>Rodney Morris lost to Alex P when he put his cue on the table. Did you see that? At 10-10, race to 11, Rod lets go of his cue and a foul is called. Alex runs out next shot. What a way to lose.<hr /></blockquote>

What happened? It is hard to believe Rodney, with his vast knowledge and experience playing in numerous events, would commit a foul. Were the rules given to all players beforehand?

Earthquake <hr /></blockquote>

I didn't see it in this particular situation, so I don't know for sure this instance, but generally laying a cue on a table and letting go of it would be considered "marking" or "marking the angle", or using a "device" which is a violation of the WPA General Rules, the (world standardized rules), and also "inappropriate use of equipment" which means using something for a purpose other than which it is intended. You can point to spots with the cue, and line things up, but as soon as you let go of it, it's considered a device, like chalk, string, or a tape measure.

Usually, there would be a warning issued. The officials must have pre-determined this would be a ball in hand foul somehow.

Chris

Keith McCready
07-22-2003, 07:45 PM
Shame that Rodney lost the match. Nobody likes to lose like that.

Earthquake

stick8
07-22-2003, 10:59 PM
Fran: I dont agree with you, you talk like a league player! never played in hostial inverment. I have played in a few you had to back out of. I baseball players can spit in umpire face ! Earl has my permisson to speak his mind!!! GO EARL STICK

Qtec
07-23-2003, 01:38 AM
Rodney was standing at pos. A. He had to play a bank shot and he was pointing the cue[ red line].
START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PM9Z1%QI5]1%Wg4O5%XQ2X6
)END

He had the cue in his hand, then he put the cue down on the table , let it go really, and the ref called the foul . He didnt move from hisoriginal position . There was no attempt to leave the cue and go to the other side and have a look from there. He was thinking about the shot , 10/10 and 5 balls on the table,and he didnt even realise what he had done until the ref called foul.

I understand the reason for the rule but there was no attempt to cheat.If he had moved , then its a foul .
In this case , at this point in the match , a warning would have been more fitting.

Then again , rules are rules . Too bad .I liked the way he played.

Q

tateuts
07-23-2003, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> Shame that Rodney lost the match. Nobody likes to lose like that.

Earthquake <hr /></blockquote>

I would think a warning would have been more appropriate. They are probably pretty strict since an embarassment a few years ago. At the WPC in 2000, the television announcers made a big deal about Fong-Pang Chao, who went on to win, laying his stick on the table (and letting go) twice against Corey Deuel in the semi-finals. Well, even the referee didn't even know it was against the rules!

Corey might have won the match and would have been a favorite to beat Moro Paez in the finals. There's about a "no-call" worth about $50,000!

Chris