PDA

View Full Version : Free PC tune-up

stevelomako
07-19-2003, 09:17 AM
If you really what to make it work good here's a couple of free things to use...I don't know much about PC's and I did these easy and made a big difference with our's.

www.pcpitstop.com (http://www.pcpitstop.com)
Checks everything on your PC and fixes or tells you how to fix it.

www.tweaknow.com (http://www.tweaknow.com)
For the RAM in your PC. Makes sure there's enough memory for the things you're doing, everything will run faster and smoother.

We've had cable internet for a long time but when I used these it even made a bigger difference.

Sid_Vicious
07-19-2003, 10:41 AM
This site looks suspiciously like an information gathering site, not a real useful tool for the PC. I was led through a registration process, and then I still got nothing to run from a download. I'd caution everyone to steer clear of this...sid

stevelomako
07-19-2003, 11:26 AM
Whatever....worked with ours. Just thought I'd put something on that might help somebody out. On a different post they were talking how cable was better than dial-up for speed and I knew this would help.

Steve

Sid_Vicious
07-19-2003, 11:34 AM
I agree that the concept is good, and I seldom venture into utilities like these but this one (if it would just work) sounded keen. I guess I don't like anything that says free, and then it forces you to provide personal info...sid

Rod
07-19-2003, 11:51 AM
Sid,
I think it is ok. It needs to check your system to find problems. I used it long ago but there is a better way. I refer people to this message for a PC tune up from Toni at ZDnet. I've use it for about two years, as you use it, it becomes faster. Be sure you don't need the computer for a while, the Scan Disk can take a while first time around. On my system it takes less than 2 hours. Defrag takes about 30 minutes. Be sure to follow instructions and not have anything running. EnditAll works great for most of this.

I scan and defrag appx every 60 days. It will speed up your computer.

This not only helps you run Scandisk/Defrag in normal mode easier but it also helps to clean up the excess garbage floating around that these programs don't need to scan or defrag anyhow. You can skip all of this if you want to and just run your scandisk and defrag from safemode if that's all you want.

These may seem long and complicated, but quite a few of these things won't pertain to your personal system and installations...you'll know which ones you don't have to do.

First make sure that you have emptied all TEMP folders (C:\TEMP C:\TMP and C:\Windows\TEMP) You probably don't have the first two so if you don't, it's ok.

Second, open Scandisk and click Advanced and put check marks in the following:

Notify you only if errors are found
Replace Log
Delete Cross-Linked Files
Free File Fragments
Check for Invalid Names,Dates,Times
Check Host first

Put a check in AutoFix Errors (most errors will come from the Temp.Int.Files folder so by checking this, you won't be notified of any errors individually that it finds, but if you clear that cache ahead of time in IE/Properties\Delete files on the Temp.Int.Files area, you can leave this box unchecked so that any other errors it finds will open a window giving you options of what to do with the errors..such as Repair,Delete, or Ignore and Ignore is about the stupidest one I've seen)

Empty the Recycle Bin...no need to Scandisk and Defrag this, especially if it has lots of files in it still that you have removed and forgotten about.

If you have MSOffice or any of its programs installed, you should (my opinion) also stop FindFast from running completely. It 'hits' your harddrive every couple of minutes searching all drives and partitions uselessly so that it can be 'ready' just in case you decide to open an Office program. This interferes badly with your system speed and also with Scandisk and Defrag. I don't know anybody who keeps this program around for long once they realize how useless it is. Go to Start\Programs\Startup and delete the icons (black) that are there for FindFast. Now go to Control Panel\FindFast and open it up and click Edit, click Delete Indexing for each drive and partition listed in the white box below it. That will stop the entire program from running.

Now close all running programs using CTRL-ALT and the DEL key (press the DEL key only once to get the menu) except Explorer and Systray. (There is a free program at http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,s%253D1478%2526a%253D10165,00.asp called EndItAll that will do this for you and is highly recommended...the pcmag link is to version 2 and is more complicated to configure for a newbie than Version 1 listed below)

EnditAll Version 1
http://www.genealogy.net.nz/id12.htm
http://www.compu-docs.com/links.htm
http://www.asktcl.com/free.htm

And also choose NONE for a screensaver until Scandisk and Defrag have been run successfully.

Now run the program...If you have had many File000.chk files building up in the C: root it will remove them giving you much harddrive space that was being used up with those files.

Once Scandisk has been run and is error free, open Defrag and click Settings. Take the check mark out of "re-arrange my files" and make sure there is a check mark in "every time I run this program". This will stop Defrag from putting all of the MS programs at the front of the defragged harddrive...which takes alot of time to run if you have many MS programs installed on your system. The program actually gets faster as it does this because it is remembering where the files were when it last ran, but it takes at least 20 times of running Defrag before you would notice any difference in the speed, so it could conceivably take all day and night to defrag a very large harddrive that isn't partitioned, so most people turn off this 'feature'.

Now run Defrag.

TONI

SpiderMan
07-21-2003, 09:05 AM
Rod,

Which windows release does this procedure reference? The commands are arranged differently in each one.

SpiderMan

Rod
07-21-2003, 10:48 AM
This was posted in a 98 forum. It was noted in another post that 95/98/ME and XP have minor differnces. There wasn't any specifics mentioned. I use it on my ME system.

SpiderMan
07-21-2003, 02:41 PM
Good deal, I'm running 98SE so I will save this post and try it sometime.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
07-21-2003, 02:51 PM
A HD defrag and disk scan is familiar alright. My interest in the original post about the utility is whether it would debug some IRQ junk and maybe tell my what is wrong with my CD drive since my attempted motherboard upgrade. In short, I needed a good system analysis and some whiz-bang info on flipping the right switches and such to fix them. I just want all of the components...and yes the dialup could certainly be more consistent...sid

Rod
07-21-2003, 03:44 PM
Hi Sid,

Nope It won't repair your PC or tell you whats wrong with your motherboard. Here is a link to my computer in January. PC (http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/Summary.asp?conid=6403652)

Since hearing about it again I dropped in again. I changed to DDR Ram so I thought I'd check it out. PC (http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/Summary.asp?conid=7839320) It got a slightly better score. The yellow flag said I needed a defrag so I did that 2 days ago.
Really it's just maintence but they do show secutity problems.

Rod

heater451
07-21-2003, 04:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> A HD defrag and disk scan is familiar alright. My interest in the original post about the utility is whether it would debug some IRQ junk and maybe tell my what is wrong with my CD drive since my attempted motherboard upgrade. In short, I needed a good system analysis and some whiz-bang info on flipping the right switches and such to fix them. I just want all of the components...and yes the dialup could certainly be more consistent...sid <hr /></blockquote>Sid, are you sure this is an IRQ issue?--Did you change anything in the IDE Master/Slave configuration? (Or, have you already got it fixed?)

==========================