PDA

View Full Version : Playing off the rail

bluewolf
07-19-2003, 10:48 AM
I just ordered this from Amazon. It sounded pretty exciting. Reviews anyone?

Laura

Tom_In_Cincy
07-19-2003, 11:20 AM
Laura,

I read the book when it first came out in the 90s. It got great reviews from the Pool rags.

Its about gambling and traveling from City to City, State to State and even a jaunt to Canada. Bios about all the different players and how they matchup when they meet.

The Ohio portion of this book interested me the most. I know most of the places, players and backers the book mentions. Pretty good writing and very good stories.

Its a must read IMO for all pool players.

Hopster
07-19-2003, 11:54 AM
I just ordered this from Amazon. It sounded pretty exciting. Reviews anyone? <--Laura

I have had it for a while and its good. The guy who wrote it made it sound as real as it gets. Anyone who thinks going on the road is a bed of roses after reading this is nuts.

MikeJanis
07-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Great book. You won't be disapointed.

Mike Janis
Also from Ohio loved the book.

L.S. Dennis
07-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Great book and extremely well written. Being here from the Bay Area, I could naturally relate more to the west coast portion of the book but it's all good. I talked with Tony quite a while ago at which time he told me that there was some talk of doing a film of the book. That would have been great.

Enjoy the book, as someone else remarked, it's as real as it gets!

Kato
07-19-2003, 05:29 PM
One of my favorites in my library. I rate books on how long it takes me to read them. "Playing Off The Rail" is a one day read. ie, 5 stars.

Kato

nhp
07-19-2003, 09:34 PM
It is a very good book about Tony Annigoni going on a road trip with the author, and Bucktooth. Some of the stories in the book are fabricated, such as Tony Annigoni beating Ernesto Dominguez, which never happened according to Ernesto. On the most part it is one of the most interesting books I've ever read. I've also had the privilage of meeting Tony, who is a very nice and down to earth person. I am a tournament director for the USPPA, which is a pool league Tony owns. He is also a very good player, and the book is definately worth reading.

eg8r
07-19-2003, 09:38 PM
After hearing from some of the other members, I think I will order the book also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

MikeJanis
07-19-2003, 09:41 PM
After reading this post I looked foy my copy of the book. Then I realized I lent it to a friend about 2yrs aggo. He must have liked the book since he never returned it.

Mj

bluewolf
07-20-2003, 02:25 AM
WOW. I am excited. Road players are a part of pool life, the good and the bad,is something I will never experience, while it fascinates me. And I love an exciting, well written book!!

bw

BillPorter
07-20-2003, 05:19 AM
Easily in the top five pool books in terms of entertainment value.

Scott Lee
07-20-2003, 07:15 AM
Mike...It's also out in paperback! You can get yourself another copy for cheap! LOL

Scott Lee

bluewolf
07-20-2003, 09:57 AM
I ordered mine from a used dealer on amazon in new condition for $7 dollars plus shipping. I buy a lot of stuff from those used dealers,when there is a big difference in price and always had good luck with them.

Laura

Hopster
07-22-2003, 12:35 AM
I ordered mine from a used dealer on amazon in new condition for $7 dollars plus shipping. I buy a lot of stuff from those used dealers,when there is a big difference in price and always had good luck with them. <--Laura

You know i forgot to say this before : You want a really good funny read ?? Mcgoorty by Robert Byrne. In my opinion is way better than playing off the rail. This guy was a character and a half, funny as all hell. Focuses mainly on his three cushion billiards playing but a lot of pool stories also. Hell, after i read this in the seventies i started trying my hand at three cushion too. lol
I was just browsing thru it tonight for like the 5000 th time. I still chuckle at stuff in there.
Get it, you wont be sorry.
Amazon probably stocks it also as it has just been re-released.

SpiderMan
07-22-2003, 01:17 PM
Agreed, McGoorty is one that will make you laugh out loud. I have to wonder how much of the humor was Danny's personality, and how much was wording and presentation by Byrne. I seemed to detect some of Byrne's joking style (as exhibitied in other writings) in quotations attributed to McGoorty. After all, the book was published after McGoorty's death, so Byrne could take license if he wanted.

BTW, I really wish Byrne had written "Bet High and Kiss Low". It could have been a great biography as well, but it was just too difficult to read because of the lack of editing and organization.

SpiderMan

Qtec
07-22-2003, 01:19 PM
I can always laugh when I read Catch 22.

Mybe a good subjct to post?

Q

Fred Agnir
07-22-2003, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> BTW, I really wish Byrne had written "Bet High and Kiss Low". It could have been a great biography as well, but it was just too difficult to read because of the lack of editing and organization.<hr /></blockquote> Not to mention some of the Grady sex scenes gave me the willies.

Fred &lt;~~~ what are the willies?

Steve Lipsky
07-22-2003, 01:30 PM
A great paraphrase from McGoorty:

"The game of balkline came to an end when promoters realized they had to shoot a cannon off in the place to wake up the crowd after an inning."

I will always love that line.

- Steve

cycopath
07-22-2003, 02:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> BTW, I really wish Byrne had written "Bet High and Kiss Low". It could have been a great biography as well, but it was just too difficult to read because of the lack of editing and organization.<hr /></blockquote> Not to mention some of the Grady sex scenes gave me the willies.

Fred &lt;~~~ what are the willies? <hr /></blockquote>I definitely could have done without the explicit sex stuff, not that I'm embarassed by it. It's just hard to imagine Grady in those scenes. I think it should have focused more on the road play. Good book, just not detailed enough in the right areas, and too detailed in others.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-22-2003, 02:58 PM
I got a copy from Grady a couple of years ago at the US OPEN..

Grady's exploits were finally put into print, by Grady and with very little help at all. I really wish more of the older pros would do this. I would buy them all..

Cueless Joey
07-22-2003, 03:13 PM
Great book.
They should make a movie out of the book.
Matt Damon would play Tony.
Woody Harelson would play David the writer.
I'd play Tang Hoa. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopster
07-22-2003, 11:25 PM
I seemed to detect some of Byrne's joking style (as exhibitied in other writings) in quotations attributed to McGoorty. After all, the book was published after McGoorty's death, so Byrne could take license if he wanted.&lt;--Spiderman

He probably did in some instances but i have a feeling he didnt do much. I have read interviews of people who knew Mcgoorty and they all seemed to agree the guy was funny and a real smart ass. He had some expression. lol

Fred Agnir
07-23-2003, 06:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Great book.
They should make a movie out of the book.
Matt Damon would play Tony.
Woody Harelson would play David the writer.
I'd play Tang Hoa. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>I hope Matt Damon has a better pool stroke than golf swing. Man that was horrible.

Fred &lt;~~~ would play the drunken bar tournament winner