PDA

View Full Version : Playing left handed- or right if you're a lefty

04-02-2002, 06:52 AM
Have you ever played entire games using your hands in reverse? Me and another player at my level are going to play some games today left handed. We will be practicing left for a while. We believe this will help in situations where the bridge stick is normally needed. What are your experiences?

Doctor_D
04-02-2002, 07:01 AM
Good morning:

My coach, Gerda Hofstatter, has me practicing left hand shots. It is a very strange experience, being right handed with a dominant right eye, to shoot left handed. However, albeit awkward, it is a skill which will be required. As such, I look forward to the day when I can shoot an entire rack left handed.

Dr. D.

Rod
04-03-2002, 03:03 AM
ballbreaker, it is a big advantage to play with either hand.
I've played a lot off handed, including some small tournaments, because they wouldn't let me play with my regular shooting hand. I don't play near as well, but good enough to make shots and feel comfortable with getting position, without using a bridge. Most people have a hard time with making a bridge off handed, but with practice it comes fairly natural. I tell people to practice making the same bridge off handed, even if you are sitting at a desk. You don't have to be playing pool to get those stubborn fingers to cooperate. Then the next time you play it will seem more natural.

SpiderMan
04-03-2002, 06:21 PM
I started working on this last year. One thing that I do, which seems to make practice more interesting, is to alternate left and right hands. It's sort of like playing Scotch doubles with a left-handed partner. It also seems to balance out the back stress that occurs from settling into the awkward/unfamiliar position.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning:

My coach, Gerda Hofstatter, has me practicing left hand shots. It is a very strange experience, being right handed with a dominant right eye, to shoot left handed. However, albeit awkward, it is a skill which will be required. As such, I look forward to the day when I can shoot an entire rack left handed.

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

04-03-2002, 08:48 PM
Playing left for me has come easily after years of right handed hitting. I figure I might be left handed and was forced early on to be a righty in everything...sid

preacherman
04-04-2002, 12:27 AM
I'm LEFT-HANDED in everything EXCEPT for pool which I am naturally right-handed (Just as an FYI I'm right eye dominant). To me it actually feels so weird to shot left-handed, but I practice it some and NOW on some shots I am confidently accurate shoting left-handed. Personally, I feel I'll be able to get fairly well at shooting left-handed in a short time. Which I think will be an added tool in my arsenal. I personally think it is a great idea to practice it as an added tool in improving your game.

04-20-2002, 01:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning:

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

I'm right handed and my left eye is stronger then my right eye. Is this natural or unusual?

Sid_Vicious
04-20-2002, 08:22 AM
I'd say so, my right eye is weaker and I believe that is true due to the fact that being dominent it gets used much more and in turn wears out quicker. Just my 2c...sid

Tom_In_Cincy
04-20-2002, 08:40 AM
Learn to use the bridge, Learn to use your opposite hand. Practice both.

Its nice to have lots of tools in your bag to play this game.

04-25-2002, 07:58 AM
My family Doctor would tell me that because my left hand was so well developed that if I had a stroke I would get up and walk off the operating table. That is one advantage to developing your opposite hand besides almost eliminating the bridge.
Years ago I played Paul Dayton the cuemaker 100 to 40 and he got discouraged losing so I asked him how he would play me if I played left handed. He said 100 to 75 and the game was on. My first shot I ran 42 and safe the second shot was 28 and safe and Paul quit. The one thing he forgot is no matter what hand you use you still use the same brain.####