PDA

View Full Version : Anti Virus Program Needed

04-02-2002, 08:59 AM
Can someone post a good program which can be had for free on the web that is good. I used Grisoft software up until my HD crashed and now the engine does not allow Netscape mail e-mail scans, only works with Outlook.

Thanks for any help...sid

Doctor_D
04-02-2002, 09:14 AM
Good morning:

I suggest that you DO NOT cut corners on an Anti-Virus Program. I use the Norton Anti-Virus 2002 and it captures a minimum of 2 to 5 viruses each week. Protection is worth a small investment.

Dr. D.

stickman
04-02-2002, 09:30 AM
I would agree with Dr. D on this one. I use Norton AV 2002 also. Everything is completely automatic. It can be setup to automatically scan as often as you'd like to schedule it, all emails are scanned automatically, (in and out), and the virus definitions are updated automatically. Once it's setup, there is nothing to do, but enjoy your computer. Much, much better than the McAfee that I previously had. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rich R.
04-02-2002, 09:39 AM
Spend the money. Go with the Norton. Rich R.

04-02-2002, 01:55 PM
Not that anyone here wants to hear it, but...
You could always get a Mac...
Never used/needed anti-virus software on my Mac and I've never recieved any virus ever in 10 years.
Sorry...I'm sure this info is not helpful for windows users, but I thought you might find it interesting...
Tim~~ has both Macs and PC's

Jay M
04-02-2002, 02:37 PM
Norton is a decent program and worth the money.

Also of note is the free scanner at http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp which is very thorough and always updated, but requires you to run it manually each time you want to scan. It's from trend micro who is a well known security company.

Note that I linked you directly to the scanner and you will get a pop-up window asking if it's ok to install the scanner.

If you want to read about the company first, it's http://www.antivirus.com

Jay M

Cueless Joey
04-02-2002, 02:56 PM
Might be a late tip now but most viri attack the windows registry which is located in C:\windows. On new installation of Windows 98, you don't have to take the default location for Windows regtr. You can rename it C\WindowZ, if you wanted too. You can also move your outlook address book (.pab) to somewhere else but the default location. I don't have an antivirus at home. I use a software called Deep Freeze. It is not an anti-virus but it works for me. What DF does is "freeze" my C drive. Anything that happens when it is on is "temporary". Meaning, you can't write to the C drive while it is on. I have a second slave hard drive where I store all my files. My C drive has the Windows operating system. That's it. And, I like it frozen. I unfreeze it when I have to. With a slave hard drive, you can also create a good "image" of your c drive ( I use Ghost Pro) in case of crashes.
But, if you must use an anti-virus, get Norton. Configure it to update DAILY. Ours at work updates every 15 MINUTES.

04-02-2002, 03:39 PM
I did install Housecall, and also installed the Grisoft protection. The Grisoft guy found 2 viruses and then I found that my e-mail coming in wasn't filtered since I use netscape mail. Otherwise that anti virus program is fine, it runs scheduled scans and also does automatic updates. It used to scan mail with Netscape mail too, but not now.

I'm going to watch Fry's for a WHIZ-BANG rebate offer on Nortons and grab a copy. Until then I will keep a good system back up just in case and utilize my freebie program.

Tell you this...the backup to CD-R format I use if slicker that owl(well you know.) 30 minutes after my re-format and I had a drive all rebuilt. ;-)

Thanks all...sid